advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Why the Steele dossier was legal but the Trump Tower meeting most likely was not
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 06, 2018 05:42PM
fantastic article, worth reading. and the kicker at the end:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

since foreign nationals aren’t entitled to the same constitutional protections as Americans, it was rare for the campaign prohibitions to be tested. But the question of whether even a small contribution to a campaign could be made by a foreign national was at the center of Bluman v. Federal Election Commission, upheld by the Supreme Court in 2012. In that case, a D.C. Circuit Court panel determined that such contributions could not be allowed because “it is fundamental to the definition of our national political community that foreign citizens do not have a constitutional right to participate in, and thus may be excluded from, activities of democratic self-government.”

The majority opinion in that case was written by Brett Kavanaugh.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why the Steele dossier was legal but the Trump Tower meeting most likely was not
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 06, 2018 06:00PM
oh snap smiley
Re: Why the Steele dossier was legal but the Trump Tower meeting most likely was not
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 06, 2018 06:16PM
The fact that the difference has to be explained to the right is pathetic
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 06, 2018 06:29PM
Pam

Um, well I didn't know these legal facts either. It's pretty nuanced and esoteric IMO.
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 06, 2018 08:40PM
Lemon Drop
Pam

Um, well I didn't know these legal facts either. It's pretty nuanced and esoteric IMO.

Pretty straightforward to me. Fusion GPS saw "interesting" links between Trump and Russia. They wanted to suss this out and hired a well thought of investigator with Russian sources. Neither the Clinton campaign or Fusion GPS went out on a general fishing expedition, asked foreign entities for whatever dirt they had, or accepted offers of dirt from foreign entities. Russia was not the only country where there were interesting links. They had other investigators for those questions. We have yet to hear about that stuff.

Trump on the other hand was approached by a foreign government, one known to be anything but a reliable source of info, and one known to be very interested in undermining the interests of the US. Russia offered dirt and it was readily accepted. Pure goldmine for foreign entities to have a hold on an elected official.

Distinctly apples and oranges.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 06, 2018 10:22PM
It would never have occurred to me that this weekend's admission would not be enough for patriots to seriously start impeachment proceedings.
Posted by: max
Date: August 07, 2018 01:22AM
Pam
Lemon Drop
Pam

Pretty straightforward to me. Fusion GPS saw "interesting" links between Trump and Russia. They wanted to suss this out and hired a well thought of investigator with Russian sources. Neither the Clinton campaign or Fusion GPS went out on a general fishing expedition, asked foreign entities for whatever dirt they had, or accepted offers of dirt from foreign entities. Russia was not the only country where there were interesting links. They had other investigators for those questions. We have yet to hear about that stuff.

Trump on the other hand was approached by a foreign government, one known to be anything but a reliable source of info, and one known to be very interested in undermining the interests of the US. Russia offered dirt and it was readily accepted. Pure goldmine for foreign entities to have a hold on an elected official.

Distinctly apples and oranges.

Absolutely, MI-6 and Russia are very distinct....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 07, 2018 10:30AM
sekker
It would never have occurred to me that this weekend's admission would not be enough for patriots to seriously start impeachment proceedings.

There are currently zero patriots in a position to do anything about Trump.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015