advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump wasn't invited to Ohio rally, Republican has only a 1 point lead
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 06, 2018 10:04PM
Should be something to watch tomorrow night.

My news station is saying Trump was NOT invited to the Ohio Rally but he went anyway.

A 31-year-old Ohio Democrat hopes to flip a House seat that has been Republican for decades

Most signs point to a dead heat a day before the election in a district that encompasses suburbs, small cities and sprawling farmland mostly north and northeast of the state capital.

CNBC

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump wasn't invited to Ohio rally, Republican has only a 1 point lead
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 06, 2018 11:18PM
Many other House R's in tight races are going to be watching this one tomorrow… no matter the outcome here, the R-incumbent has lost support in the past month that has flipped to the contender at an astounding rate. There are 26 other seats that are just as impacted, and could easily be flipped come November - as long as moderate Repugs refuse to distance themselves from the nutbags that are trying to take over their party.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 07, 2018 10:07AM
It will be fantastic if Democrat Danny O'Connor pulls off an upset win in this district, which the GOP has held for decades. The polls overall still favor the Republican but 538 calls it a toss-up. Special elections are infamous for wrong polling results.

Also - this interesting note from 538, it's not affluent suburbs that are fueling Democrats in these special elections, it's unhappy Trump voters swinging back. T The Ohio 12th is home to a lot of country club Republicans with a history of standing by the party no matter how horrible the candidate. But it also has a lot of white working class voters who left the Dems for Trump - we'll see if those folks come back. I'm not counting on the guys in those "rather be Russian than Dem" t-shirts though.

This one is super interesting, from a demographic standpoint.

[fivethirtyeight.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 07, 2018 10:28AM
it's unhappy Trump voters swinging back.

You mean the ones who actually expected someone with business acumen and other skills that Trump has none of?

Who are these people? And how could they not have known that he was/is a total gasbag?
Date: August 07, 2018 10:38AM
Lux Interior
it's unhappy Trump voters swinging back.

You mean the ones who actually expected someone with business acumen and other skills that Trump has none of?

Who are these people? And how could they not have known that he was/is a total gasbag?

Who are they?
National Academy of Sciences research says Trump voters are united by anxiety:
racism, sexism, and fears of lost status
[psmag.com]

And most of them seem to be standing by their man, saying they feel the media is disrespectful to Pres Trump. IOW - his narrative has been highly successful with the base. I consider those people mostly lost, really. Maybe a small number will turn against Trump (mostly women from what I'm hearing).

Trumps supporters do not represent the majority of Americans. People just need to get out and vote, it's really that simple.
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 07, 2018 10:50AM
steve...
Should be something to watch tomorrow night.

My news station is saying Trump was NOT invited to the Ohio Rally but he went anyway.

I’m hearin it don’t make any never mind. You get Trump.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 07, 2018 11:18AM
"And most of them seem to be standing by their man, saying they feel the media is disrespectful to Pres Trump. IOW - his narrative has been highly successful with the base. I consider those people mostly lost, really. Maybe a small number will turn against Trump (mostly women from what I'm hear."

AKA "idiots."
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 07, 2018 04:55PM
Dennis S
AKA "idiots."

Deplorable, actually.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 07, 2018 05:44PM
I saw a report on MSNBC today about a Gallop poll that broke down Trump's approval rating by non-college educated whites and everyone else. The results were:

Whites, no college degree
Approve: 58% . . . . . . . . Disapprove: 39%

All other Americans
Approve: 29% . . . . . . . .Disapprove: 66%
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 07, 2018 06:58PM
I saw an article awhile ago saying right wingers were blaming colleges for "brainwashing" people so they came out liberals. I think the word they were looking for was "educating."
Date: August 07, 2018 08:46PM
They are tied in Ohio's 12th, with 85% of the precincts in. Trump won this district by 11 points. So yes, at least some of voters have flipped.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015