advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Manafort judge Ellis has cow because prosecution did what he told them they could do
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 08, 2018 05:04PM
WaPo's live-blog coverage:

[IRS Revenue Agent Michael] Welch’s appearance on the stand triggered another heated confrontation between Judge T.S. Ellis III and prosecutors...Assistant U.S. Attorney Uzo Asonye...revealed that Welch had been seated in the courtroom for the duration of the proceedings.

Ellis erupted, saying that he typically bars all witnesses — save the case agent — from observing the proceedings, and thought he had done so in this case.

Asonye responded that he thought experts were also allowed to stay and observe. Ellis said that was not his practice, and while he would permit Welch to testify, he issued a stern warning to Asonye, who prosecutes cases in his district.

“I want you to remember, don’t do that again. When I exclude witnesses, I mean everybody,” Ellis growled.

UPDATE: Asonye said he believed the transcript would back him up that in this case, Ellis had allowed both the case agent and the expert to remain. “I don’t care what the transcript said; maybe I made a mistake,” Ellis snapped. “Don’t do it again.”

The transcript, provided by CNN, does in fact show that Ellis allowed the expert to stay in court.

It seems to me that the press has been tiptoeing around the obvious here - the Manafort trial is being run by a crotchety Reagan-appointee Republican senior judge who likely asked to be the judge for this case and who can just barely hide his partisan disdain for the prosecution... and particularly for Asonye.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Manafort judge Ellis has cow because prosecution did what he told them they could do
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 08, 2018 06:35PM
What is wrong with this dictaor? I bet he kicks the dog when he gets homefacepalm
Re: Manafort judge Ellis has cow because prosecution did what he told them they could do
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 08, 2018 08:34PM
I'm waiting for the judge to grant the defenses motion for a directed verdict after the prosecution rests. The way he has been acting, it won't surprise me in the least.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 08, 2018 08:39PM
>who can just barely hide his partisan disdain for the prosecution... and particularly for Asonye.

Could still turn out okay. Seems like it would be difficult for conservatives to say that he's biased. Nevermind, this wouldn't stop them.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 08, 2018 08:55PM
old and crotchety is good. An intolerance for shenanigans helps avoid being overruled.
Date: August 08, 2018 08:59PM
cbelt3
old and crotchety is good. An intolerance for shenanigans helps avoid being overruled.

Preventing the prosecution from presenting its case (which they will nevertheless do, in a complex financial case, within 2 weeks!) is not "shenanigans".

Here are some others that are in a better position than me to know if this is over the top (and they think it is, calling it "black robe fever").
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 08, 2018 09:03PM
Yes, this judge is a mess.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 08, 2018 10:20PM
Not a good sign when one side gets persecuted by the bench.

“Maybe I made a mistake” followed by, “don’t do it again”?

Are you kidding me?
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 09, 2018 03:37AM
Heard a lawyer on Rachel's show who had been before this judge many times. He said the judge had always been this way, a stickler for accuracy.

I suspect the judge is being a little tougher on the prosecution to reduce the chance of appeal.

=wr=
Posted by: billb
Date: August 09, 2018 11:54AM
We need more judges like this that won't allow dog and pony shows in their courtrooms.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 09, 2018 12:12PM
billb
We need more judges like this that won't allow dog and pony shows in their courtrooms.

Hey, bill, did they report this on Fox yet?
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) — The federal judge overseeing the financial trial of Paul Manafort said Thursday he was likely in error when he angrily confronted prosecutors during expert witness testimony, telling jurors in the former Trump campaign chairman’s case to “put aside” his criticism.
[apnews.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 09, 2018 01:15PM
Little dictator judges with signs of dementia.

Exactly the kind of judges conservatives love!
Date: August 09, 2018 03:06PM
billb

What part of this prosecution for multi-million dollar tax evasion and bank fraud do you consider a "dog and pony show", bill?
Date: August 09, 2018 03:20PM
BTW, the prosecution made it clear to everyone who is f-ing up here:

The Mueller team asked Ellis to explain to the jury that the prosecution had done nothing wrong and cited a transcript of the first day of the trial last week showing that prosecutor Uzo Asonye specifically asked that witnesses be excluded "with the exception of our expert and our [FBI] case agent." The judge and the prosecutor went on to discuss Michael Welch by name and his expertise. And the judge unmistakably approved the exception.

The judge couldn't be bothered to read his own court transcript, and had to be prodded verbally to remedy his prejudicial comments.

Before the jury came in Thursday but after the session began, Asonye asked Ellis to address the issue. The judge snapped, “Alright, I’m going to take care of that.”

He went on to say he “may well have been wrong”...

RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 09, 2018 08:36PM
Better check those robes for a hip flask. He might be tippling during recess.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 10, 2018 08:59AM
What part of this prosecution for multi-million dollar tax evasion and bank fraud do you consider a "dog and pony show"

This is clearly a witch hunt based on libtard fantasies.

Totally unlike the established fact that Hillary ordered the military to stand down while shadow forces from the Clinton Foundation Foreign Assault Force murdered the Ben Gazarra embassy staff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 08:59AM by Lux Interior.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 299
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015