advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Jon Huntsman (Amb to Russia) could be "anonymous"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 07, 2018 10:53AM
This would make sense. What a job to have now. And Trump is anathema to Huntsman's values and leadership style. I could see it.

Interesting follow-up piece in the Times today:

Journalists, politicians and social media users picked through the Times essay looking for clues. The admiring citation of Senator John McCain and reference to his funeral last weekend prompted some to focus on officials who might have had past associations with him or attended the service.

The writer’s use of the word “lodestar” sent some looking for those who had been known to use the word in public utterances. Since former Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger said “honor was John’s lodestar” in his eulogy at Mr. McCain’s funeral, that again made some wonder if it meant the author had been present.

Among the advisers to Mr. Trump who were at the funeral were John F. Kelly, the chief of staff; Jon Huntsman, the ambassador to Russia; Rudolph W. Giuliani, the president’s lawyer; Mr. Bolton; and Mr. Coats, as well as Mr. Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump, and son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

And of course the WH is melting down trying to ID the traitor(s), not just the op-ed author but Woodward's sources too. According to the Times they considered making everyone take lie detector tests or sign an affadavit saying they didn't write it (pretty sure neither of those things is legal...)

[www.nytimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Jon Huntsman (Amb to Russia) could be "anonymous"
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 07, 2018 01:35PM
It did seem odd to me that the large cast of characters offered up as suspects included Amb. Huntsman. He's in Russia, how would he know about all the unhinged activities of the president except for second hand? The USA has ambassadors all over the world except in those countries where Pres. Trump hasn't gotten around to making appointments and they are not offered as suspects.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 07, 2018 02:22PM
He's on the list because he's a high level Trump appointee who was at McCain's funeral. Admiration for McCain and some of the language used at the funeral by various people made it's way into the op-ed. And since all of the "senior officials" are suspects at this point...why not?

I do think Huntsman would have a unique perspective on the damage Trump is doing to the US, in terms of our reputation abroad.

Now that most of his staff got expelled back the US as a retaliatory move by Russia, and the Russians have mostly frozen him out on substantive issues, it's not clear what he's doing over that actually matters.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 07, 2018 08:55PM
My money is on Kelly.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 08, 2018 12:37AM
And of course the WH is melting down trying to ID the traitor(s), "traitor(s),"

--Fixed that for the Times.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 08, 2018 01:26AM
I’m leaning towards the idea that the piece was a collaboration with one person acting as the “face” for the group.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018