advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Apples joins in Alex Jones ban
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 08, 2018 06:25AM
Apple has removed the Infowars app belonging to conspiracy nut Alex Jones from the App Store. Apple said it violated the company's rules against "objectionable content".

Google, Facebook, and Twitter had previously banned Jones content.

[www.reuters.com]

About time.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apples joins in Alex Jones ban
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 08, 2018 07:59AM
Poor baby smiley-laughing001
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 08, 2018 12:14PM
Now I know you are saying, "but what if he says is true?"

In that case you are a citizen of Crumhunger 4 who is reading this while occupying your host's Earthoid body.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 12:33PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 09, 2018 09:15AM
I have no love for this guy. He seems to have gone off the deep end (His personal life is even wackier). I KNOW this is not censorship. But one finds content "objectionable" then skip it. I do.

I wonder how this will affect other vehicles. Does that mean stuff he ostensibly doesn't produce but appears in will go dark? What if a "fan" makes a doc/interview with him? How about a commentary where they let him speak?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 09, 2018 12:45PM
Rolando, it’s about who’s distribution outlet this is. Apple has joined the others and decided to “skip it.” No one has the “right” to expect *anyone* or *everyone* to carry their message.
Posted by: max
Date: September 09, 2018 03:50PM
Rolando
I KNOW this is not censorship. But one finds content "objectionable" then skip it. I do.

You KNOW, yet you feel necessary tp provide an alternative to it, because IT IS censorship.
I skip it, but freedom of speech was never about allowing only the speech we agree with, speech that does not make us uncomfortable...

deckeda
Rolando, it’s about who’s distribution outlet this is. Apple has joined the others and decided to “skip it.” No one has the “right” to expect *anyone* or *everyone* to carry their message.

And that is how fascism works.
Somehow I am not surprised that you would defend it....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Date: September 09, 2018 05:10PM
I don't want to call anyone names, and I agree AJ or anyone else has no RIGHT to be carried, but why not "objectionable content" warnings?

EDIT: Except Trump. I will happily call him names all day!

-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 09:39PM by Rolando.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 09, 2018 05:59PM
Clearly it is censorship. But AJ doesn't have the right to use Apple to promote violence and racism.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 09, 2018 09:03PM
Rolando
I don't want to call anyone names, and I agree AJ or anyone else has no RIGHT to be carried, but why not "objectionable content" warnings?

Objectionable content implies the content has merit on some level. So yeah, consider it censorship in the eyes of the distributor if they think it has zero merit.

At some point, content becomes so bizarre, or violent, or fact-less, or misleading, or whatever, that it's considered possessing zero intrinsic value, not even as base or coarse entertainment. Whomever distributes it is always free to decide when that line is crossed, are they not?

Plead your case with them, but in so doing be prepared to defend why Jones' message has never been totally harmless.

Yes, turn the channel, put the book down and so on always makes sense. We all do that. But, WE are not distributors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 09:03PM by deckeda.
Date: September 09, 2018 09:51PM
deckeda
Rolando

Objectionable content implies the content has merit on some level. So yeah, consider it censorship in the eyes of the distributor if they think it has zero merit.

At some point, content becomes so bizarre, or violent, or fact-less, or misleading, or whatever, that it's considered possessing zero intrinsic value, not even as base or coarse entertainment. Whomever distributes it is always free to decide when that line is crossed, are they not?

Plead your case with them, but in so doing be prepared to defend why Jones' message has never been totally harmless.

Yes, turn the channel, put the book down and so on always makes sense. We all do that. But, WE are not distributors.

I think you've got merit on the "violent" and "misleading". That I can get behind! That was a point of view I had not considered. Thank you!

I don't know or believe that every podcast and app is "totally harmless" and I am not gonna waste my short life arguing for that jack a**! I will admit I found him entertaining in the 90s as he screamed about the illuminati and the Clintons and being laughing AT HIM when he called 9/11 an "inside job". I cut him out of my life after he said the Newtown Massacre was 'crisis actors'.

-- Edmund Burke
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 323
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015