AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Mother used in ad attacking Kansas Dem candidate is state GOP official
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 08, 2018 07:01AM
Vile...Paul Ryan PAC vile

Mother used in ad attacking Kansas Dem candidate is state GOP official
[thehill.com]
A mother used in an attack ad to tear into a Kansas Democratic Congressional candidate is a top GOP official in the state.

In the advertisement, which comes from a super PAC linked to House Speaker Paul Ryan, Alana Roethle says she opposes Democratic House candidate Sharice Davids, whom she dubs “too risky for Kansas families,” McClatchy reported.

“As a mom of four, I care about about keeping our community safe. That’s why I oppose Sharice Davids," Roethle says, before saying that Davids supports an extreme agenda that would include abolishing Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

The ad, however, does not disclose that Roethle is the secretary of Kansas's Republican party. She is also a member of the Kansas Lottery Commission who was appointed to her position in 2015, according to McClatchy.

Roethle has ties to both the Kansas and national GOP, the outlet noted. A biography of Roethle on the Kansas GOP website says that she served as a delegate during the 2016 Republican national convention and that she attended President Trump's inauguration.

McClatchy noted that advertisement was paid for by the Congressional Leadership Fund, a super PAC connectied to House GOP leadership. The ad never notes Roethle's affiliation or role with the Kansas Republican Party.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mother used in ad attacking Kansas Dem candidate is state GOP official
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 08, 2018 07:57AM
There is no act too low the GOP will not commit...I guess. I can see the headlines if that had been a DEM.
Posted by: Pam
Date: September 08, 2018 08:19AM
samintx
There is no act too low the GOP will not commit...I guess. I can see the headlines if that had been a DEM.

You mean like the republican candidate in VA whose staff forged signatures to get an independent (ran against the guy last time as a democrat) on the ballot?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 08, 2018 09:09AM
Pam
samintx

You mean like the republican candidate in VA whose staff forged signatures to get an independent (ran against the guy last time as a democrat) on the ballot?

Hey, that sounds like voter fraud! I bet Kobach is all over that one!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 08, 2018 10:14AM
Many Republicans are Mothers, some are even women.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 10:15AM by Ombligo.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 08, 2018 10:24AM
The usual stuff, fear mongering. Yoder is playing the "Kansan values" card but apparently by that he means bigotry and small-mindedness. This is one of the fascinating toss-up races to watch.

Back in March the Kansas City Star described his as "among the most vulnerable Republican seat in Congress." Although he won his last contest by 10 points, his district went for Hillary and he's tied to every extreme GOP view, and to Donald Trump. May not play well this time around.

And his opponent, Sharice Davids, is an openly gay Native American attorney and economic consultant, mixed martial arts expert, Mom and believer in radical ideas like affordable, accessible health care, a tax code that is fair to middle class people, improving aging infrastructure, high quality public education and college access, and treating gun violence like a public health problem, and common sense gun laws.

(Yoder is the worst sort of NRA boot-licker)

SO OF COURSE THEY'RE TERRIFIED OF HER!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 08, 2018 10:57AM
Pam
samintx

In the context of Paul Ryan's Super PAC that got their hands on a Virginia Democratic candidate's detailed (and highly-sensitive) security clearance forms from her employment with the CIA and USPS, doxxed her in conservative forums with detailed personal info including her social security number, leaked details to reporters and attacked her as a supporter of terrorists for her work as a substitute English language teacher in a school that has no association with terrorists but has a foreign-sounding Islamic name, and when they were caught then the PAC did a PR blitz saying (falsely) that they they never wanted the sensitive documents, were returning the stolen documents and had never used them because they were above such matters and also accusing the candidate of attempting a cover-up of her suspicious past, that's hardly a blip.

Posted by: J Marston
Date: September 08, 2018 12:32PM
The consequences of this sort of skullduggery with be nil.

Republicans, starting in 1968, believed that winning was the sine qua non: you can't do anything unless you win. (This was the big takeaway from the Goldwater debacle.) They will therefore stop at nothing: no bar too low, no hypocrisy too blatant, no lie too outrageous.

Winning alone counts. After that...they can pass whatever they want, appoint what judges they want, investigate (or not) what they choose.

The price they have paid for this behavior in the last half century is nothing. Why would they stop?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: September 08, 2018 05:41PM
J Marston
The consequences of this sort of skullduggery with be nil.

Republicans, starting in 1968, believed that winning was the sine qua non: you can't do anything unless you win. (This was the big takeaway from the Goldwater debacle.) They will therefore stop at nothing: no bar too low, no hypocrisy too blatant, no lie too outrageous.

Winning alone counts. After that...they can pass whatever they want, appoint what judges they want, investigate (or not) what they choose.

The price they have paid for this behavior in the last half century is nothing. Why would they stop?

Newt Gingrich was big in reviving that strategy. Mitch "biggest P.O.S. in the world" McConnell has continued it.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 09, 2018 01:40AM
Their credo is “Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing!”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 216
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018