Colorado fighting back on fracking
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 10, 2018 09:05AM
[www.axios.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Colorado fighting back on fracking
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 10, 2018 10:21AM
"the initiative could cut off as much as 85% of the state's future energy development"

I don't trust any energy industry, green or fossil, to do the right thing without strict public oversight. But based in this factoid alone I suspect some overreach. Even in Colorado a mile-diameter exclusion around every building is going to eliminate a lot of space.
Posted by: maco
Date: September 10, 2018 10:40AM
One thing that I've never understood. There is a 500' setback requirement for new wells, but there doesn't seem to be a setback requirement for building new houses next to existing wells. One would think that it would be the same. Weld County was traditionally a more rural county. It is in the heart of the Wattenberg field, a very prolific and historic field. They have been building a ton of new homes there. So many of the new homes are being built very close to existing wells, certainly much closer than 500'.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 10, 2018 11:04AM
maco
One thing that I've never understood. ... So many of the new homes are being built very close to existing wells, certainly much closer than 500'.

That is a typical Planning and Zoning failure. The same thing happens with farms, train tracks, industrial companies, flood plains, etc...

My company has a factory in between two main train tracks on industrial property. We have a LOUD PA system (because everyone wears earplugs in the factory because industrial machines are LOUD). And suddenly an entire neighborhood was built next to one of the train tracks.

So what do the new neighbors do ?
1- They complain about the trains running all the time. Try to sue the railroads. Who laugh and say they were there first, deal with it. Lawsuits dismissed.
2- They call the police and complain about our PA system violating noise rules. We set up sound monitors on our property and respond with actual numbers that say "Nope, not too loud, sorry."

Idiots, but the P&Z commission are the main idiots for allowing the development in the first place without requiring them to build a noise wall.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 10, 2018 06:02PM
maco
One thing that I've never understood. There is a 500' setback requirement for new wells, but there doesn't seem to be a setback requirement for building new houses next to existing wells...

Such setbacks are meaningless.

The Colorado proposition is just a show.

Wells are usually bored at an angle and can go horizontal or even dog-leg underground and such slant-drilling is legal in Colorado, subject only to the state commission’s authority. They don't even care about the water table.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 12, 2018 02:49AM
cbelt3
maco
One thing that I've never understood. ... So many of the new homes are being built very close to existing wells, certainly much closer than 500'.

That is a typical Planning and Zoning failure. The same thing happens with farms, train tracks, industrial companies, flood plains, etc...

and airports.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015