advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Eric Trump: Woodward earned 'three extra shekels' with CNN appearance
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 12, 2018 11:44AM
A Rosh Hashanah greeting from Trump's little Nazi?
(I'm sure Jared and Ivanka appreciate it)

Eric Trump: Woodward earned 'three extra shekels' with CNN appearance
[thehill.com]

Eric Trump lashed out at Bob Woodward during a Wednesday interview on Fox News, calling the Watergate veteran's book a work of fiction used for publicity. The president's son also remarked that Woodward made "three extra shekels" with his book attacking the Trump administration.

"Don't you think people look through the fact that you can write a sensational, nonsense book, CNN will definitely have you on there because they love to trash the president," Trump said, responding to Fox and Friends host Steve Doocy, who asked if the book detailed "chaos" in the White House.

"It will mean you sell three extra books, you make three extra shekels," Trump continued. "Is that really where we are? I think people see through this."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Eric Trump: Woodward earned 'three extra shekels' with CNN appearance
Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 12, 2018 12:08PM
Well, I heard he made six shekels after his interview with Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air last night.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 12, 2018 12:56PM
You can almost see the SS on his lapels.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 12, 2018 02:33PM
Woodward isn’t even Jewish.
Does this not seem strange to say when Jared and Ivanka are both Jews?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: hal
Date: September 12, 2018 02:42PM
I don't understand the significance of the use of the word, 'shekels' here. Could someone explain it as if to a six year old?
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 12, 2018 03:10PM
rgG
Woodward isn’t even Jewish.
Does this not seem strange to say when Jared and Ivanka are both Jews?

Sometimes the dogs don't even care if the dog whistle makes any sense, I think...
Posted by: neophyte
Date: September 12, 2018 03:11PM
I think the use of the word shekels is derogatory and anti-Semitic, intending to mean "coins of little value".
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 12, 2018 03:39PM
I usually like to think the worst of any Trump associate, but shekels is a pretty common slang usage in many contexts. Seems odd to claim it's anti-Semitic. Would "pieces of silver" be a dogwhistle to evangelical Christians?

If he'd said "a few extra bucks" would he be insulting vegans?
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 12, 2018 03:48PM
Mr Downtown
I usually like to think the worst of any Trump associate, but shekels is a pretty common slang usage in many contexts. Seems odd to claim it's anti-Semitic. Would "pieces of silver" be a dogwhistle to evangelical Christians?

Well, yeah, I think "pieces of silver" would definitely be a dog whistle. While a few sheckels may just be a New York-ism, it certainly calls der dolchstoss to mind for me.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 12, 2018 03:59PM
OMG! Eric, Mr. slicked back lacquered hair has escaped from his den! and he is growing a beard. He had something to say and he said it.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 12, 2018 06:17PM
Mr Downtown
I usually like to think the worst of any Trump associate, but shekels is a pretty common slang usage in many contexts. Seems odd to claim it's anti-Semitic.

Pretty much always anti-semitic whenever it's used by a white guy in America. Even when you think of it as slang, you're pulling it from a historically anti-semitic piece of slang.

Suggesting that it's commonly used doesn't redeem it any more than suggesting as much in respect of the "N" word.

And Eric Trump undoubtedly pulled that word out because he's heard it a lot lately. His dad's been feeding the crowd at his rallies with conspiracy theories based on Jewish control of the press, selling out the country "for a few shekels."

TLDR: Yes, it's racist. Yes, it's anti-semitic. Yes, it's very offensive.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 12, 2018 07:48PM
Eric's grandfather Fred didn't rent apartments to Jews, either. So he's carrying on a strong Trump family tradition of bigotry and hatred...in deeds as well as words.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 13, 2018 02:22PM
Know what's odd? To think that none of its "many contexts" could be racist.

Any Gentile using the word "shekel" is sideways-aiming for a racist dog whistle. If you think it's just a generic word for "money," there's still a reason the word "money" wasn't used in conversation. For one thing, no bank today can provide you with a shekel. So then, it's an ancient word, for whom?

It would be similar to using the word "dinero" when attempting to disparage a Latino, as way of implying it was "really " important to the other person to earn a pitiful amount of money. (The little people, they are to be tsk-tsk pitied of course.)

I'll wager a dollar Eric Trump never normally talks about money as "shekels" except when wanting to disparage someone he thinks is Jewish. And yes he gets extra moronic points for not realizing his target isn't even Jewish.
Date: September 13, 2018 02:25PM
samintx
OMG! Eric, Mr. slicked back lacquered hair has escaped from his den! ...

Not that someone's appearance "means" anything, but Eric Trump's hair is pure isolationist throwback, oddly. I haven't seen anyone among his generation embrace the Brylcreem look since I don't know, the 1960s. That he seems out of touch with the modern world is almost secondary.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 13, 2018 11:01PM
I believe it to be a racist, dog-whistle statement.
Posted by: Janit
Date: September 14, 2018 11:22AM
deckeda
Any Gentile using the word "shekel" is sideways-aiming for a racist dog whistle. If you think it's just a generic word for "money," there's still a reason the word "money" wasn't used in conversation. For one thing, no bank today can provide you with a shekel. So then, it's an ancient word, for whom?

Not quite. The Shekel is the current monetary unit used in Israel.

I would argue that this adds to the dog-whistle tone of the statement.
Date: September 14, 2018 08:43PM
Janit
deckeda

Not quite. The Shekel is the current monetary unit used in Israel.

I would argue that this adds to the dog-whistle tone of the statement.

Right, so in Trump’s contextual usage, even more suspect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018