advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
So, it was a Rape.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 14, 2018 11:01AM
Does that change your opinion of or potential Suprrme court justice? They guy that tried to bust Bill Clinton over consensual sex.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So, it was a Rape.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 14, 2018 11:03AM
......yes......but he will still get through..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: September 14, 2018 11:06AM
NewtonMP2100
......yes......but he will still get through..........

Different time and place? Rape was A-OK back then? I’m Sure that 200k will be shown as payoff.
Date: September 14, 2018 11:10AM
....well, I guess depends on the exact details of what happened.....in a perfect world something like rape should make a difference but that doesn't always work that way in politics....we will see..........

Date: September 14, 2018 11:16AM
NewtonMP2100
....well, I guess depends on the exact details of what happened.....in a perfect world something like rape should make a difference but that doesn't always work that way in politics....we will see..........

Drunk or not I’ve never turned up the music to drown out what I’m going to someone. There’s no statute of limitations in Maryland either .
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 14, 2018 11:17AM
They know they can't stop the vote. I presume the Democrats are trying to crank the heat enough that he withdraws himself.
Date: September 14, 2018 11:19AM
......here is more info.....it doesn't sound very good....

....A woman is accusing Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of attempting to rape her at a party while they were both in high school.

Kavanaugh, in a statement to The New Yorker, which broke the details of the encounter, denied the claim.

“I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation,” he said. “I did not do this back in high school or at any time.”

The woman, whose identity is still not public, sent Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.) and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) a letter in the summer, after Kavanaugh was nominated, sharing her concerns about him.

From The New Yorker:

The allegation dates back to the early nineteen-eighties, when Kavanaugh was a high-school student at Georgetown Preparatory School, in Bethesda, Maryland, and the woman attended a nearby high school. In the letter, the woman alleged that, during an encounter at a party, Kavanaugh held her down, and that he attempted to force himself on her. She claimed in the letter that Kavanaugh and a classmate of his, both of whom had been drinking, turned up music that was playing in the room to conceal the sound of her protests, and that Kavanaugh covered her mouth with his hand. She was able to free herself. Although the alleged incident took place decades ago and the three individuals involved were minors, the woman said that the memory had been a source of ongoing distress for her, and that she had sought psychological treatment as a result.

The classmate who was reportedly with Kavanaugh said he has “no recollection” of the incident.

Rumors of this letter and sexual misconduct allegations have been swirling for weeks on Capitol Hill, with reporters and other Democratic senators pressing Feinstein, the ranking member of the Judiciary Committee, to share the information.

On Thursday, Feinstein finally acknowledged she had received a letter but did not want to give more details because the subject did not want to go public. She said she referred the matter to the FBI..............

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 14, 2018 11:29AM
I hate it when women defend a guy when they have no idea if the allegation against him is true. The fact that he didn't attempt to assault every girl in high school doesn't mean he didn't attempt to assault this particular girl:

With speculation about the letter’s contents circulating, Mr. Grassley on Friday released a different letter, sent to him and to Ms. Feinstein and signed by 65 women who say they knew Judge Kavanaugh while in high school.

“Through the more than 35 years we have known him, Brett has stood out for his friendship, character, and integrity,” the women wrote. “In particular, he has always treated women with decency and respect. That was true when he was in high school, and it has remained true to this day.”

[www.nytimes.com]
Date: September 14, 2018 11:31AM
Also why did the Democrats hold this for so long? It's been in their offices since July.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 14, 2018 11:33AM
51 Republican votes say it could be a public human sacrifice last August and they wouldn't care.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 14, 2018 11:55AM
Lemon Drop
Also why did the Democrats hold this for so long? It's been in their offices since July.

People think this is all about a flailing of arms, grasping of straws execution. It's all a part of a carefully planned hail Mary strategy to flip Collins and Murkowski. Timing is everything. Masterminded by Shumer and Feinstein. At first, everybody wanted the Democrats to walk out in protest. This is why experience trumps youth.
Date: September 14, 2018 12:16PM
Lemon Drop

Nukes are a last resort.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 14, 2018 12:18PM
If it was an email, Republicans would investigate it.
Date: September 14, 2018 12:19PM
Oh, and I forgot this one:

"She was probably drunk, too."

and

"She was probably asking for it."
Date: September 14, 2018 12:25PM
deckeda

and

It was a party. She knew what she signed up for,
Date: September 14, 2018 12:29PM
p8712
deckeda

and

It was a party. She knew what she signed up for,

She smiled at them both, at least once.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 14, 2018 01:09PM
Well, talk about being prepared. 65 signatories. Just like that.

Lemon Drop
I hate it when women defend a guy when they have no idea if the allegation against him is true. The fact that he didn't attempt to assault every girl in high school doesn't mean he didn't attempt to assault this particular girl:

With speculation about the letter’s contents circulating, Mr. Grassley on Friday released a different letter, sent to him and to Ms. Feinstein and signed by 65 women who say they knew Judge Kavanaugh while in high school.

“Through the more than 35 years we have known him, Brett has stood out for his friendship, character, and integrity,” the women wrote. “In particular, he has always treated women with decency and respect. That was true when he was in high school, and it has remained true to this day.”

[www.nytimes.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 14, 2018 01:09PM
Lemon Drop

probably to save for a delay and not let it get swallowed up in July. Only 2 women knew about the letter as I understand it...Feinstein and that other lady...so any delay is good. Even Mother Nature is helping!
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 14, 2018 01:25PM
Speedy

Lemon Drop

[www.nytimes.com]

Sounds like they knew about the letter.
Or, they had 65 women sign a blank paper, just in case they needed a statement of some sort.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 14, 2018 01:55PM
Did anyone actually sign anything?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 14, 2018 02:21PM
All the more reason for him to be approved for the court, since removing rights of women is a central part of the Trumplican organization. Barf.

And attestation from "All the women he didn't rape yet.." wow.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 14, 2018 03:49PM
He was probably "Born Again" since that happened, which is a Get Out of Jail Card as far as Trump's followers are concerned.

vision63
Lemon Drop

People think this is all about a flailing of arms, grasping of straws execution. It's all a part of a carefully planned hail Mary strategy to flip Collins and Murkowski. Timing is everything. Masterminded by Shumer and Feinstein. At first, everybody wanted the Democrats to walk out in protest. This is why experience trumps youth.
I have to say, this makes more sense to explain the wait to release and why now. Because it's not something that is going to sway any of the GOP men, that's for damn sure, and on the turbo-charged news cycle we live with now, it would be long forgotten if released in July.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2018 03:55PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 14, 2018 04:05PM
If released in July, he wouldn't have been nominated. Instead we would have another nominee with the same views. Nothing would have truly changed except the nominees name.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: September 14, 2018 04:16PM
In addition to the wavering Republican Senators: Collins, Flake, and Murkowski, there are at least 6 Dems who are undecided on Kavanaugh:

Cortez Masto, Coons, Nelson, Tester, Donnelly, and Heitkamp. And 4 of those are up for re-election in states that went for Trump.

It'll be an interesting vote, for sure.
Date: September 14, 2018 04:25PM
[www.newyorker.com]

I want to think the best of Sen. Feinstein here, but I'm not sure she handled this correctly. When a crime is reported to a public official, they have a duty to act.
Date: September 14, 2018 04:27PM
Lemon Drop
[www.newyorker.com]

I want to think the best of Sen. Feinstein here, but I'm not sure she handled this correctly. When a crime is reported to a public official, they have a duty to act.

She knows what she's doing.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 14, 2018 04:53PM
Lemon Drop
[www.newyorker.com]

She says that the information was forwarded to the FBI, says so right in the extract from the New Yorker that Newton posted early in this topic.
Date: September 14, 2018 05:00PM
JoeH
Lemon Drop
[www.newyorker.com]

She says that the information was forwarded to the FBI, says so right in the extract from the New Yorker that Newton posted early in this topic.

Only after she was pressured by other Democrats to do that. She held the information from July and said she was reluctant to do anything with it because she was trying to protect the victim. Something's wrong with this situation.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: September 14, 2018 05:48PM
Lemon Drop
Only after she was pressured by other Democrats to do that. She held the information from July and said she was reluctant to do anything with it because she was trying to protect the victim. Something's wrong with this situation.

The statement came after she was pressured to speak.

Reporting to the FBI came some unspecified amount of time before that.

Date: September 14, 2018 06:06PM
Sarcany
Lemon Drop

Okay, so now they are supposed to bring this woman out in the open to be bludgeoned. If it's such a crime, it's not going to no longer be a crime after the hearings. There are bigger fish to fry.
Date: September 14, 2018 06:17PM
vision63
Okay, so now they are supposed to bring this woman out in the open to be bludgeoned. If it's such a crime, it's not going to no longer be a crime after the hearings. There are bigger fish to fry.

You realize that if there's compelling evidence that he raped the woman, they're going to have to impeach him before they can bring him to trial?

There's only one justice that has ever been impeached and a politically partisan senate refused to convict. He sat on the bench until his death 11 years later.

You want a constitutional crisis? Take a woman-hating judge who the public knows should be serving jail time for a callous and disgusting crime that he lied about and attempted to cover up and put him on the high court with a senate that won't touch him.

Date: September 14, 2018 06:26PM
Sarcany
Lemon Drop

In a statement, an F.B.I. spokesperson said, “Upon receipt of the information on the night of September 12, we included it as part of Judge Kavanaugh’s background file, as per the standard process.”

that's pretty specific, and late.
Date: September 14, 2018 07:16PM
Lemon Drop
Sarcany
Lemon Drop

In a statement, an F.B.I. spokesperson said, “Upon receipt of the information on the night of September 12, we included it as part of Judge Kavanaugh’s background file, as per the standard process.”

Yeah, I've seen that.

At first, it seemed at odds with other statements that they made that they reviewed it and found it not actionable and then forwarded it to the White House on the 12th, but since my last post on the subject I've seen more stories on the subject and it does seem that she sat on the letter (which was sent to several members of Congress who seem to have ignored it) since at least July 30th.

Either way, arguing about the date on the submission misses the point:

We now have an alleged rapist with a history of bad partisan misogynist decisions who appears to have repeatedly perjured himself and has had an astonishing amount of debt mysteriously paid by anonymous third parties poised to be a nearly unassailable cog in the most vital part of our government.

If that's not scaring you, what will?

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: September 14, 2018 07:36PM
Even Clarence Thomas is going, "Eesh."
Date: September 14, 2018 07:55PM
While the delay in reporting needs clarification and explanation, it's still hasn't put anything off of the meat of the story. I suppose it's possible the victim ask for it to be sat on too, not that that necessarily matters either. She did get psychological help, and there would be records from that which would be admissible with her permission.

It's pretty obvious they knew this was going to come out conveniently having 65 women sign that statement. I guess Raping, or attempting to rape one woman out of 65 is no big deal. Lots of people are saying it folks, lots of people, believe me, believe me, believe me.

For the record I've usually found the people don't stop at the one crime, especially when they are young. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more me too there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2018 07:57PM by p8712.
Date: September 14, 2018 08:03PM
Sarcany
Lemon Drop
Sarcany
Lemon Drop

Yeah, I've seen that.

At first, it seemed at odds with other statements that they made that they reviewed it and found it not actionable and then forwarded it to the White House on the 12th, but since my last post on the subject I've seen more stories on the subject and it does seem that she sat on the letter (which was sent to several members of Congress who seem to have ignored it) since at least July 30th.

Either way, arguing about the date on the submission misses the point:

We now have an alleged rapist with a history of bad partisan misogynist decisions who appears to have repeatedly perjured himself and has had an astonishing amount of debt mysteriously paid by anonymous third parties poised to be a nearly unassailable cog in the most vital part of our government.

Nothing got worse since November 2016. This is everything it was warned to be.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 15, 2018 12:08PM
Acer
Speedy

Lemon Drop

[www.nytimes.com]

Or, they had 65 women sign a blank paper, just in case they needed a statement of some sort.

BTW, the high school/prep school he went to was all-boys.
Date: September 15, 2018 12:32PM
pdq
Acer
Speedy

Lemon Drop

[www.nytimes.com]

BTW, the high school/prep school he went to was all-boys.

And? Out of touch elitist, long time political operative who uses the law as a hammer against political enemies, but we already knew that.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: September 15, 2018 01:26PM
I’ve got to say, I’m a little surprised at the almost complete lack of traction this story has gotten. Maybe it will stick to the wall later, but I guess the news cycle has been claimed by the likes of Manafort and Florence.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 15, 2018 01:44PM
Wonder how many psotters would want their high school careers tossed out for public inspection…
Date: September 15, 2018 01:49PM
Blankity Blank
I’ve got to say, I’m a little surprised at the almost complete lack of traction this story has gotten. Maybe it will stick to the wall later, but I guess the news cycle has been claimed by the likes of Manafort and Florence.

That's primarily because Dems are not pushing it. They say this is because the letter-writer decided not to go public. Had she appeared in a press conference with Gloria Alred, there might have been more attention paid. But because everyone involved was a minor when this happened, no other accusers have come forward and it was 35 years ago, they are all letting it go.

There is updated reporting on this on the front page of the NY Times right now.

[www.nytimes.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 15, 2018 01:53PM
Lemon Drop

Vetting?

I would have been skeptical that it was a plant.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 15, 2018 01:54PM
Sarcany

Who are you trying to convince? Why?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 16, 2018 12:26AM
" They guy that tried to bust Bill Clinton over consensual sex."

Let's see........

Person in power vs an underling..........

Consensual...............

Sure............... banghead smiley

Any of those victims could have just said NO (and would have been looking for a new job the next day)

I was always AMAZED that NO ONE ever asked Billary how they would feel if their daughter had been treated that way by "a person in a position of authority. "Free Press" my ass......
Date: September 16, 2018 09:30AM
testcase
" They guy that tried to bust Bill Clinton over consensual sex."

Let's see........

Person in power vs an underling..........

Consensual...............

Sure............... banghead smiley

Any of those victims could have just said NO (and would have been looking for a new job the next day)

I was always AMAZED that NO ONE ever asked Billary how they would feel if their daughter had been treated that way by "a person in a position of authority. "Free Press" my ass......

Chelsea would have had to get the Presidents attention by first flipping her dress to show him her thong to get the whole affair started like Monica did. If it was MY daughter, I'd put it on her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 09:31AM by vision63.
Date: September 16, 2018 09:47AM
testcase
... "Free Press" my ass......

Claiming there *isn't* a free press is surely a wish being worked on, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2018 09:47AM by deckeda.
Date: September 16, 2018 10:55AM
In addition to being a key author of the Starr report, Kavanaugh also "investigated" the Vince Foster suicide and tried to make it look like something that would incriminate the Clintons.

He's the worst kind of political hack and has no business on the Supreme Court.

However, that doesn't mean I'm OK with Bill Clinton's behavior in the Oval office. I think he should have resigned. In today's climate he would have been forced to do so.

The married President and a 21 year old intern??

Let's put it this way: if you feel you need to lie about it under oath, maybe don't do it?
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 16, 2018 10:56AM
After this story, I feel queasy about Kavanaugh coaching girls' basketball…

=wr=
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 16, 2018 01:52PM
Lemon Drop
In addition to being a key author of the Starr report, Kavanaugh also "investigated" the Vince Foster suicide and tried to make it look like something that would incriminate the Clintons.

However, that doesn't mean I'm OK with Bill Clinton's behavior in the Oval office. I think he should have resigned. In today's climate he would have been forced to do so.

Let's put it this way: if you feel you need to lie about it under oath, maybe don't do it?

Actually 22. Even now she admits it was consensual. Clinton failing to restrain himself from taking advantage of of her availability and then lying about it is on him.

Now it might result in a resignation, then it was the only thing Starr, Kavanaugh and company could make stick after throwing everything they could find against the wall.
Date: September 16, 2018 01:54PM
JoeH
Lemon Drop

Actually 22. Even now she admits it was consensual. Clinton failing to restrain himself from taking advantage of of her availability and then lying about it is on him.

Now it might result in a resignation, then it was the only thing Starr, Kavanaugh and company could make stick after throwing everything they could find against the wall.

"Consensual" in this context is not the issue.

He actually had her convinced that they were in a love affair, and that he might leave his wife for her.

It's abuse of power. Behavior unbecoming to the office.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 215
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018