advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Flake, Collins are a Yes vote
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 05, 2018 03:08PM
At this point, I doubt if anyone cares how Manchin votes.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Flake, Collins are a Yes vote
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 05, 2018 03:10PM
He's voting yes. It's all but done.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 05, 2018 03:16PM
I don't know what to make of the speech Susan Collins just gave. I've never heard a Senator defend and recommend a nominee quite like that. She's all but predicting how he will rule on major issues.

Then she smears Dr. Ford.

Well, she is a Republican, in case anyone needed reminding.
Date: October 05, 2018 03:20PM
Part of Murkowski's initial statement on why she opposes this nomination. More to come from her later:
But this has truly been the most difficult evaluation of a decision that I have ever had to make, and I’ve made some interesting ones in my career. But I value and respect where my colleagues have come down from in their support for the judge, and I think we’re at a place where we need to begin thinking about the credibility and integrity of our institutions.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 05, 2018 03:38PM
Lemon Drop
Part of Murkowski's initial statement on why she opposes this nomination. More to come from her later:
But this has truly been the most difficult evaluation of a decision that I have ever had to make, and I’ve made some interesting ones in my career. But I value and respect where my colleagues have come down from in their support for the judge, and I think we’re at a place where we need to begin thinking about the credibility and integrity of our institutions.

Like the US Senate...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 05, 2018 03:52PM
....how Flake.......y......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 05, 2018 04:01PM
The judge was a shoo-in from the get-go.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 05, 2018 04:07PM
What's worse is that many Americans are SUPPORTING Orange Man over this.

We really DO live in a horribly sexist country.
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 05, 2018 04:11PM
Is anyone with half a brain proud to be an American right now?
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 05, 2018 04:18PM
Manchin says he'll vote yes. Think he'll get re-elected? I'm over hoping that Susan Collins will show some political guts. This could affect her when her term is up. Lisa Murkowski's stance is impressive, but I'm betteng that the eventual outcome (including the apology) was all prearranged.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 05, 2018 04:19PM
Things are only going to get worse. Be prepared to spend a while ridding ourselves of this Republican/Trump nightmare.
(Oh, by the way, America's future is riding on it)
Posted by: hal
Date: October 05, 2018 04:22PM
All of this fight and all we got is an energized right just in time for the midterms - GREAT!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 05, 2018 04:30PM
btfc
Manchin says he'll vote yes. Think he'll get re-elected? I'm over hoping that Susan Collins will show some political guts. This could affect her when her term is up. Lisa Murkowski's stance is impressive, but I'm betteng that the eventual outcome (including the apology) was all prearranged.

Since saying she would not vote for Trump in 2016, Collins has supported almost every action 45 has taken. Perhaps she thinks this will be seen as okay by the time she is up for reelection in 2020. She might be right, there is a part of the Maine electorate where this resonates.
Date: October 05, 2018 04:35PM
JoeH
btfc

Since saying she would not vote for Trump in 2016, Collins has supported almost every action 45 has taken. Perhaps she thinks this will be seen as okay by the time she is up for reelection in 2020. She might be right, there is a part of the Maine electorate where this resonates.

The governor is a real piece of work.

rj
AKA
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 05, 2018 04:41PM
I'm thinking being seen as being moderate and independent plays well in Maine. There has been a huge backlash against Gov. LePage, but yeah, Collins's walk hasn't matched her talk.
Date: October 05, 2018 05:05PM
My impression is that voters forget results but remember the soundbites and platitudes. It'll always be easier to say what you "want" vs what you did.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 05, 2018 05:23PM
For those voting on election day, this will be forgotten by the majority (yes, 6 weeks). So any effect on a senatorial election in 2020 is extremely unlikely. It will simply be a soundbite and a counter soundbite.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 05, 2018 08:18PM
Lemon Drop
I don't know what to make of the speech Susan Collins just gave. I've never heard a Senator defend and recommend a nominee quite like that. She's all but predicting how he will rule on major issues.

That was probably the most awful speech I've ever heard.

She has a timid manner, so it was especially disconcerting as she spewed a bunch of horrid lies and half-truths under the premise of "protecting the innocent" and then tried to play it like Senate republicans were somehow being sympathetic with the victims of sexual assaults. And then she instructed women who had been assaulted -- and their friends and loved ones -- to hide themselves away rather than bringing those assaults to light or pressing criminal charges against the possibility that it might be hurtful to expose such criminal acts.

I don't know how anyone could speak like that and still look at themselves in the mirror the next morning.

Posted by: billb
Date: October 05, 2018 09:10PM

Needs a windmill.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 09:11PM by billb.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 05, 2018 10:44PM
Collins gave Kavanaugh the benefit of doubt, something she refused to give her colleague Al Franken. She must be looking forward to some sweet dark money to help her out in the primary and general elections.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: October 05, 2018 10:44PM
Not taking some concerns seriously seems to be a hallmark of Gary Varvel.

[www.indystar.com]
Posted by: bfd
Date: October 05, 2018 10:50PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Collins gave Kavanaugh the benefit of doubt, something she refused to give her colleague Al Franken. She must be looking forward to some sweet dark money to help her out in the primary and general elections.

She'll knead all the dough she can raise…
Date: October 05, 2018 11:25PM
Sarcany
Lemon Drop

That was probably the most awful speech I've ever heard.

She has a timid manner,

Susan Collins is not "timid," her speech is unusual because she has laryngeal dystonia. She is one of the most powerful women in the country, timid is not a word that fits with her in any way.
Posted by: Janit
Date: October 06, 2018 05:21AM
Lemon Drop
Susan Collins is not "timid," her speech is unusual because she has laryngeal dystonia. She is one of the most powerful women in the country, timid is not a word that fits with her in any way.

Listen to Diane Rhem and Robert Kennedy Jr.for comparison.
Posted by: max
Date: October 06, 2018 08:06AM
deckeda
Not taking some concerns seriously seems to be a hallmark of Gary Varvel.

[www.indystar.com]

Somebody did not get the concept.
New cravenly low for the American mass media....
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 06, 2018 08:24AM
Collins speech sounded like she was prepping to run for the WH in 2020.
Date: October 06, 2018 09:58AM
Janit
Lemon Drop

Listen to Diane Rhem and Robert Kennedy Jr.for comparison.

I didn't say that she was timid.

She has a timid manner. Whatever the reason, she always sounds a bit scared when she's talking, and often looks it.

It's disconcerting to hear foulness spewing from someone who is viscerally invoking a protection-instinct.

It's not unlike a scene from The Exorcist.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 06, 2018 05:30PM
I knew Collins would vote yes. She likes the media and internet attention she gets when she pretends to have an open mind about an issue, but she always votes in line with the old farts squadron of the GOP. She's a phony.

Date: October 06, 2018 10:44PM
I was wondering about her voting record but too lazy to look it up. I did read a WaPo analysis that highlighted several recent times she flipped on an issue or rationalized it away, after the field had been cleared for her.

Timid? Hell yes she is. Worst kind of coward ... not for waiting to announce but for not being brave enough to declare her intention weeks ago. Her "reservations" are not, were not credible.

Maine politics is all kinds of whacked out, but you'd think a reasonable candidate could wake up and get out of bed. Collins' speech on the Senate floor was a twisted bit of funk to make her sleep better that night. Boo-ya.

Anyway, I don't know her total voting record but the "swing vote" moniker is incredibly threadbare these days if you ask me.

Meanwhile, by this time next year no one will remember Murkowski, who will have paid the price.

I'm more curious about Manchin. I realize that if he voted "No," West Virginia would have two Republican senators for certain. So there's that. But, damn, at what point does the affiliation not matter, and the voting record does?
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 07, 2018 10:15AM
banghead smileybanghead smileyThanks, Collins. Your vote just confirmed my view of the state of affairs in America.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 07, 2018 12:18PM
Date: October 07, 2018 12:41PM
$tevie

ftw smiley

rj
AKA
Date: October 08, 2018 10:26AM
$tevie
I knew Collins would vote yes. She likes the media and internet attention she gets when she pretends to have an open mind about an issue, but she always votes in line with the old farts squadron of the GOP. She's a phony.

Except when she doesn't.

Like that time in 2017 she prevented the appeal of Obamacare, along with Murkowski and McCain. She's not all bad, just mostly bad.

I'm no fan of Collins and after the Kavanaugh speech hope she is defeated by a Democrat (well I would hope that anyway....)
Date: October 08, 2018 10:26AM
Which men in the United States Senate are "timid?"

Just curious.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 08, 2018 12:21PM
Lemon Drop
$tevie
I'm no fan of Collins and after the Kavanaugh speech hope she is defeated by a Democrat (well I would hope that anyway....)

Yep, I sent my $20 to her opponent already, whomever that is. But she is far-and-away the most popular politician in Maine.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 09, 2018 04:12AM
Lemon Drop
$tevie

Except when she doesn't.

Like that time in 2017 she prevented the appeal of Obamacare, along with Murkowski and McCain. She's not all bad, just mostly bad.

She voted to keep Obamacare only because it is really popular in Maine and she would have gotten her ass handed to her by the voters if she voted to repeal it. She does like getting reelected. Otherwise she is 90+% in lockstep with the GOP. She is no moderate.
Date: October 09, 2018 05:38AM
Sam3
Lemon Drop
$tevie

Except when she doesn't.

She voted to keep Obamacare only because it is really popular in Maine and she would have gotten her ass handed to her by the voters if she voted to repeal it. She does like getting reelected. Otherwise she is 90+% in lockstep with the GOP. She is no moderate.

Other stats: She's voted with her party 99% of the time when it comes to judicial nominees and 100% for 45’s judicial nominees.

Also, 57% of Maine residents wanted her to vote against Kavanaugh's confirmation, so this was a party-loyalty vote, not a reelection vote. She thinks she can overcome the damage with the money and support of party leadership. (Given how many times they've broken their promises to her, this is a very flawed supposition.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2018 05:39AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: October 09, 2018 08:44AM
Thanks for that stat. I didn't know that many Maine residents were against Kavanaugh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018