advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
why do they vote twice?
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 06, 2018 09:39AM
they voted yesterday, 51-49, now they vote AGAIN on the same issue. These people work for us. why do they do the same job twice?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: why do they vote twice?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 06, 2018 10:04AM
The first vote took it out of committee.

The second vote ended the debate. (The cloture vote.)

The last vote is to determine whether he's appointed.

I like that they couldn't do it all in a single vote. This way, they have some extra time to think it over.

Every delay helps the cause of not putting dumb schmucks on the SCOTUS.

Anyone who puts any serious thought into this appointment would never vote to put Kavanaugh on the bench.

Posted by: Acer
Date: October 06, 2018 10:06AM
EDIT. See Sarcany above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 10:07AM by Acer.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 06, 2018 10:17AM
Ya know, the brinksmanship here was completely unnecessary. So the opposition found a serious flaw. Whatever. Go back to the list and find another. Life would go on for Kavanaugh, he'll be fine making bank on the white male outrage speaker circuit if he's not on the court. If Conservatism is Received from God then the list of qualified candidates has to be as long as your arm.

But NO. Put up damaged goods, fight to the death. If you lose (Bork), then whine about the injustice for the next three decades. If you win, the reputation of the court is tainted for three decades (Thomas, Kavanaugh). Neither would be the case if you just said, "It's not worth the damage to our government, let's find someone better."
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 06, 2018 10:24AM
.....the same reason one asks one's spouse to repeat something again.....and then still don't hear it.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 06, 2018 10:28AM
Sarcany

I like that they couldn't do it all in a single vote. This way, they have some extra time to think it over.

Do they really think? It seems like any thinking going on is just looking for ways to justify their yes vote...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: October 06, 2018 11:29AM
Markintosh
Sarcany

Do they really think? It seems like any thinking going on is just looking for ways to justify their yes vote...

And it also gives republican leaders the opportunity to blackmail/bribe/make-deals to rig the vote.

There are upsides and downsides.

But i’m a bit of a romantic. I still think that when given a little time to think, people’s sensibilities and consciences will win out.

And I think that this was rushed through precisely to keep that from happening.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: October 06, 2018 11:54AM
Acer
Ya know, the brinksmanship here was completely unnecessary. So the opposition found a serious flaw. Whatever. Go back to the list and find another. Life would go on for Kavanaugh, he'll be fine making bank on the white male outrage speaker circuit if he's not on the court. If Conservatism is Received from God then the list of qualified candidates has to be as long as your arm.

But NO. Put up damaged goods, fight to the death. If you lose (Bork), then whine about the injustice for the next three decades. If you win, the reputation of the court is tainted for three decades (Thomas, Kavanaugh). Neither would be the case if you just said, "It's not worth the damage to our government, let's find someone better."

Here! Here!

From the moment Kennedy said he was going to retire, it was obvious that Trump was going to pick a candidate put forward by the Federalist Society - a candidate that would please both rich people and social conservatives (the two primary power centers for Republicans). That was nearly inevitably going to happen. Trump picked a rotten egg of a candidate. When it became apparent that Kavanaugh was a rotten egg, Trump could have easily ditched him and picked another white guy off the Federalist list that wasn't such an ethical stinker, got that person confirmed and ended up with that person voting on Supreme Court cases pretty much like Kavanaugh would have (keep rich people and social conservatives happy).

But NO (as you say), they decided that turning this into a partisan competition was more important than keeping a relatively character deficient person off the court.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 07:07PM by Ted King.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 06, 2018 11:56AM
Kennedy made a deal with Trump for Judge K.

Everyone is missing this prequel to our current story.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 06, 2018 12:37PM
The GOP never changes. In fact, they just get worse.

July 1, 1991
The President: I am very pleased to announce that I will nominate Judge Clarence Thomas to serve as Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court. Clarence Thomas was my first appointee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, where he served for over a year. And I believe he'll be a great Justice. He is the best person for this position.
-
I have followed this man's career for some time, and he has excelled in everything that he has attempted. He is a delightful and warm, intelligent person who has great empathy and a wonderful sense of humor. He's also a fiercely independent thinker with an excellent legal mind who believes passionately in equal opportunity for all Americans. He will approach the cases that come before the Court with a commitment to deciding them fairly, as the facts and the law require.

Judge Thomas' life is a model for all Americans, and he's earned the right to sit on this Nation's highest Court. And I am very proud, indeed, to nominate him for this position, and I trust that the Senate will confirm this able man promptly.
-
"He is the best-qualified at this time," Bush said.
Posted by: billb
Date: October 06, 2018 03:07PM
The real dumb schmucks allowed a candidate to corruptly control the DNC to try to buy a Presidency.
A real candidate might have won the election and all this smearing unbased character assassinations
blackmail/bribe/make-deals wouldn't have happened.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 06, 2018 04:16PM
Clinton lost because a bunch of moron butt-hurt progressives and idiot inattentive women decided that they'd rather lose gay rights, women's rights, civil rights, voting rights, national parks, clean oceans, and breathable air than have to vote for Clinton. They can all burn in hell.

Posted by: bfd
Date: October 06, 2018 04:16PM
The dimmest bullbs in the box - still trying to light the way in a dark world.
Posted by: max
Date: October 06, 2018 04:27PM
bfd
The dimmest bullbs in the box - still trying to light the way in a dark world.

it must be very tough.
My deepest condolences....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 06, 2018 05:08PM
billb
... all this smearing unbased character assassinations blackmail/bribe/make-deals wouldn't have happened.

Your sudden soft spot for Dr. Ford is touching, it really is. Blaming the DNC for making/allowing the Republican party to smear her is a special treat of "logic" to read.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 07, 2018 11:58AM
$tevie
Clinton lost because a bunch of moron butt-hurt progressives and idiot inattentive women decided that they'd rather lose gay rights, women's rights, civil rights, voting rights, national parks, clean oceans, and breathable air than have to vote for Clinton. They can all burn in hell.

You skipped over a giant part of the electorate in there, one that gets let off the hook persistently:

White male Democrats and independents. Why do they get a pass? I'm not saying that White women don't bear some culpability (they do), but hardly to the degree that White men flocked to 45, and not just on the GOP side.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 07, 2018 12:17PM
Well, the moron butt-hurt progressives were the males in my mind. Although it would include women, too, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2018 12:20PM by $tevie.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 07, 2018 12:39PM
$tevie
Well, the moron butt-hurt progressives were the males in my mind. Although it would include women, too, of course.

I hear ya. And I don't disagree, I just think there are plenty of white Democratic men who aren't butt-hurt progressives who ended up supporting Trump, and having a greater overall impact on the election's outcome.

I'm thinking about all the white Democrats in former labor strongholds like the central and upper mid-west, where racism and xenophobia were intentionally marshaled to pull white people, and especially men, away from the party.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 07, 2018 08:51PM
First, we're in a heap o' hurt when we can't nominate better candidates than Hilary or Trump for POTUS.
Second, SCOTUS appointments ought to require a 2/3 majority vote in order to confirm.
That would fix a LOT of problems.
==
Date: October 07, 2018 09:17PM
Buzz
Second, SCOTUS appointments ought to require a 2/3 majority vote in order to confirm.
That would fix a LOT of problems.
==

They used to require 60 votes.

Dems couldn't get a judge through the process with republicans blocking every nomination throughout Obama's tenure, so they invoked the "nuclear option" on low-level judicial appointments which allows a simple majority-vote to move an appointment forward and disallowed filibusters for the cloture vote.

This set a precedent which republicans ran with to invoke the nuclear option for everything they do. They've used it to confirm every lowlife piece of trash Drumpf can come up with to fill a seat with their big fat butts and while the original amendments exempted SCOTUS appointments and left the original rule in place, republicans extended it to the SCOTUS to push through Gorsuch with minimal debate. (One might wonder, given what we've just seen of his buddy Drunken McRapeyface, what would have come up from a thorough investigation and debate on Gorsuch.)

Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 07, 2018 10:09PM
Doc- I know the history. I'm saying they went the wrong way. POTUS should provide a vetted list of say 6 to 10 candidates. The senators must then vote for their top 3 choices. POTUS then must pick from the top 3 vote getters for his SCOTUS nominee. After the usual hearings, w/ 67 votes they're on SCOTUS for life, 51 - 66 votes they're an interim justice, and the process must repeat within say no more than 2 years, when the next nominee and the incumbent interim justice go at it head to head. Winner w/ 67 votes or more gets life on SCOTUS, winner by less means another interim appointment. Of course if initial nominee craps outs w/ 49 yays or less, it's an immediate do over. None of this Harvard - Yale Garland/Kavanaught büllshît would happen, because it couldn't.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018