advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"The Cleveland Indians’ season is over, and so is Chief Wahoo’s 71-year run"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 10, 2018 03:58PM

Chief Wahoo, the mascot of the Cleveland Indians, expired late Monday after his baseball team was eliminated from the American League Division Series, swept in three games by the defending World Series champion Houston Astros.

Officially, Wahoo was 71 years old, though accounts vary on his exact age. Some baseball historians say the chief could have been as old as 119 or as young as 66. His demise was inevitable since January, when Indians owner Paul Dolan and MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred agreed the team would no longer use the Chief Wahoo Indian head logo after the 2018 season. The team turned instead to the “Block C,” which had been the “primary mark” of the Indians since 2016.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Previously argued about here: [forums.macresource.com]
How this stayed in Tips and Deals without getting booted over here is a mystery to me, but a welcome one.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "The Cleveland Indians’ season is over, and so is Chief Wahoo’s 71-year run"
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 10, 2018 04:00PM
Rebranding. What-EVER.. Those fans with tats of the Wahoo will get misty about it. I think the "C" is fine. After all...
Re: "The Cleveland Indians’ season is over, and so is Chief Wahoo’s 71-year run"
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 10, 2018 04:11PM
Time marches on.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 10, 2018 04:12PM
A lot of hockey people defend Chicago Blackhawks saying that it's different than the Redskins or the Indians because the team is actually named after an Army unit - or something like that. It will go too, but it will be the last one, I bet. So far, there is almost zero interest in removing the iconic emblem.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 10, 2018 04:27PM
Long overdue. Please everyone note that the team will still SELL Chief Wahoo online and in the team store, they just won't put him on the field or uniforms.

Edit: meaningful change would be voiding their copyright of the name and emblem and stopping production of all racist merchandise.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 04:28PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 10, 2018 04:30PM
hal
...because the team is actually named after an Army unit - or something like that....

Black Hawk
"The first Native American autobiography to be published in the U.S., his book became an immediate bestseller and has gone through several editions. Black Hawk died in 1838 (at age 70 or 71) in what is now southeastern Iowa. He has been honored by an enduring legacy: his book, many eponyms, and other tributes."

"In modern times Black Hawk is considered a tragic hero and numerous commemorations exist. These are mostly in the form of eponyms; many roads, sports teams and schools are named after Black Hawk. Among the numerous wars in United States history, however; the Black Hawk War is one of few named for a person."

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 10, 2018 04:33PM
DeusxMac
hal
...because the team is actually named after an Army unit - or something like that....

Black Hawk
"The first Native American autobiography to be published in the U.S., his book became an immediate bestseller and has gone through several editions. Black Hawk died in 1838 (at age 70 or 71) in what is now southeastern Iowa. He has been honored by an enduring legacy: his book, many eponyms, and other tributes."

"In modern times Black Hawk is considered a tragic hero and numerous commemorations exist. These are mostly in the form of eponyms; many roads, sports teams and schools are named after Black Hawk. Among the numerous wars in United States history, however; the Black Hawk War is one of few named for a person."

Thanks for that history, DeusxMac.

To clarify - in this case, the team's founder was a member of the U.S. 86th Infantry Division (nicknamed the "Blackhawks" after Black Hawk the person), and he named the team for the military unit, not the American Indian.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: October 10, 2018 05:42PM
The ridiculously insulting Chief Wahoo is far worse than the name "Indians." Personally, of all of them that come to mind, "Redskins" seems the most derogatory team name to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 05:44PM by Acer.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 10, 2018 05:49PM
rjmacs
To clarify - in this case, the team's founder was a member of the U.S. 86th Infantry Division (nicknamed the "Blackhawks" after Black Hawk the person), and he named the team for the military unit, not the American Indian.

RollingEyesSmiley5
Semantic obfuscation. The team was named for McLaughlin's unit which itself was named for Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak (Black Hawk). Hence the Indian head logo/mascot.
Date: October 10, 2018 06:30PM
rjmacs
Long overdue. Please everyone note that the team will still SELL Chief Wahoo online and in the team store, they just won't put him on the field or uniforms.

Edit: meaningful change would be voiding their copyright of the name and emblem and stopping production of all racist merchandise.
For reasons that I fail to understand, many in Cleveland LOVE Chief Wahoo. I worked with a woman, who was perfectly sane and quite bright, who was aghast at the idea of giving him up.

I imagine that once the mad rush to acquire Chief Wahoo souvenirs is over, the store will begin slowly phasing him out, which will cause less grief and anxiety for Wahoo's fans. I know it is intellectually wrong to pander to people who love a racist logo, but fandom is a funny and complicated thing so a slow withdrawal is probably more sensible and less likely to result in bitterness, resentment, and the inevitable death threats.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 10, 2018 06:51PM
$tevie
rjmacs

For reasons that I fail to understand, many in Cleveland LOVE Chief Wahoo. I worked with a woman, who was perfectly sane and quite bright, who was aghast at the idea of giving him up.

One of the marvels of the human condition is our ability to bear conflicting emotions.

As a kid, my parents took me to Sambo's restaurant. I enjoyed the food, but the highlight was when my dad bought me tiger toys at the checkout counter.

Big time racist theme, pejorative on several levels. I know it, am disgusted at it, and I wouldn't step foot in such a place as an adult.

But I miss those tigers.

Posted by: bfd
Date: October 10, 2018 07:22PM

There's plenty of life left in the SDSU Aztecs' mascot - even though he was officially retired years ago…
Date: October 10, 2018 09:02PM
As always, Joe Posnanski has a good take on the matter:
[joeposnanski.com]

Date: October 10, 2018 09:30PM
$tevie
As always, Joe Posnanski has a good take on the matter:
[joeposnanski.com]

I liked this from the comments:

Josh Rovner says:
October 10, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Joe, you made a point I’ve been thinking about for a long time now: if the Indians *didn’t* have an offensive logo, they would have changed in long ago. That’s what marketing departments do to keep themselves relevant. It’s only because Wahoo is so terrible that anyone feels the urge to defend it.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 11, 2018 11:55AM
Remember John Brodie, Jim Plunkett, Gene Washington,
Ernie Nevers, Frankie Albert, Bob Boone, Jim Lonborg,
John Steinbeck, Herbert Hoover, JFK, Sandra Day O'Connor,
Phil Knight, and at least four other famous people were STANFORD INDIANS at some point in their lives...

Now Stanford is a color, with a tree as a mascot.
Go figure.

As a member of a different tribe, I'm not getting too worked up over Shark Tank promoted stuff like this...

==
Date: October 11, 2018 02:58PM
Those things are products. Products that one can take or leave as one sees fit. A logo represents a sports team which in turn represents a city, and people shouldn't have to be embarrassed by their sports team's/city's representation in major league sports. You probably wouldn't want to move just because the city's baseball logo is gross.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 11, 2018 04:16PM
Traditions die hard. It takes a college at least four years to kill a mascot tradition amongst students. My college was the Indians but is now the Mavericks. Nobody really cares except the bigots.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015