AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
State Dept Press Briefing yesterday - wow
Posted by: hal
Date: October 11, 2018 12:04PM
[www.state.gov]

Press Briefing

[talking about the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi]
QUESTION: And then in terms of your high-level diplomatic talks, other than the calls you – other than the calls that you’ve read out here, presumably you have people on the ground in both Ankara, Istanbul – in Ankara, Istanbul, and Riyadh all pushing this, right?

MR PALLADINO: Our embassies overseas, absolutely.

QUESTION: Okay.

MR PALLADINO: Our diplomatic mission overseas.

QUESTION: Who again – what’s the name of the ambassador in Turkey right now?

MR PALLADINO: I don’t have that in front of me right now and I – Matt --

QUESTION: What’s the name of the ambassador in Saudi Arabia right now?

MR PALLADINO: I see what you’re getting at. Okay. We are confident in our diplomatic --

QUESTION: The answer is that you don’t have an ambassador in either place, right?

MR PALLADINO: We --

QUESTION: And in fact, the charge in Riyadh has now been nominated to be the ambassador to Yemen. So just is it correct that you do not have ambassadors in place in either Ankara or Riyadh?

MR PALLADINO: But we have diplomatic staff, senior diplomatic officials --

QUESTION: I’m sure you do.

MR PALLADINO: -- very much – very much in charge. And yesterday Heather spoke at the top as well about the need for the State Department to get its full team on the field, and we definitely would reiterate our request for our colleagues in the Senate and their assistance in fielding our full camp.

QUESTION: Understood. Who has been nominated to be the new ambassador to Turkey, and who has been nominated to be the new ambassador to Saudi Arabia? Who are the nominees who are awaiting Senate movement?

MR PALLADINO: Matt, I don’t have that in front of me right now. And – but let me just say these are senior Foreign Service officers that have had full careers and we’re confident in our team’s ability.

QUESTION: You’re sure someone’s been nominated for both positions?

MR PALLADINO: I would have to take the question, Matt.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: State Dept Press Briefing yesterday - wow
Posted by: samintx
Date: October 11, 2018 12:08PM
Brilliance again. How can they keep dazzling us with knowledge and good cabinet functioning?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 11, 2018 12:43PM
The Senate has been too busy packing U.S. district courts with unqualified justices to bother with appointing unqualified ambassadors.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 11, 2018 12:46PM
Please, it's only been 23 months since the transition began. The administration still has 6 more years to get these positions filled. Patience.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 11, 2018 01:35PM
Filliam H. Muffman
The Senate has been too busy packing U.S. district courts with unqualified justices to bother with appointing unqualified ambassadors.

Just to clarify, the Senate confirms appts that the president nominates. Right now there are no ambassadors in SA and Turkey AND no one has been nominated. There are LOTS of vacancies...

[www.afsa.org]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 11, 2018 02:53PM
Filliam H. Muffman
ftw smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 11, 2018 03:44PM
It's hard to find only the best people. But I do like the tone of those questions!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 11, 2018 04:36PM
Acer
Please, it's only been 23 months since the transition began. The administration still has 6 more years to get these positions filled. Patience.

Too soon, too soon!!
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 11, 2018 05:48PM
So much winning!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: October 11, 2018 10:21PM
The good news is Trump is apparently willing to remove multi-billion dollars sanctions against Turkey in a deal to let a Christian Holy Man go. Rescuing our Jesus Brother from the grip of the evil Mooselman. Welcome back to the glory days of the 15th century.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 258
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015