advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Voting poll
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 06, 2018 06:51AM
Poll
Did you vote in today's election? (If you're voting later today, please answer after you vote.)
Voting is currently disabled for this poll.
66 votes were received.
I voted today. 26

39%
I did not vote today. 4

6%
I voted previously via early-voting or mail-in ballot or by other means. 36

55%

patriot smiley

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Voting poll
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 06, 2018 07:16AM
The wife and I went Saturday with our little girl so she could see how it works.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 06, 2018 07:22AM
....vote to remove.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 06, 2018 07:40AM
My daughter asked me to text her this morning to remind her to vote.
I don’t think they have early voting in NYC, do they?
Her polling place is practically across the street, so she can pop in on her way to the office.
I have already reminded her. smiling smiley

A bigger accomplishment was getting my 87 year old mother to FINALLY start voting. I think
The presidential election of 2012 was her first time. Now we is an ardent voter. Took a while though.
I had always tried to get her and my dad to vote, but for some reason they never would. Oh well, better late than never.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 07:43AM by rgG.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 06, 2018 08:28AM
Damn skippy I voted. I am NOT going to ruin a 4 decade long tradition, voting in every election I could since I was a teenager. I was impressed at the setup in my district. For a mid term election they had about 30% more machines and staff than in the 2016 election.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 06, 2018 08:34AM

Diddy wants you to know
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 06, 2018 08:38AM
I dunno. Maybe. Does it really matter?

/s
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 06, 2018 08:39AM
Wait we need another choice. I previously voted by mail, but now I just voted for this survey too. A + C

Can I change my vote?

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 08:40AM by Markintosh.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 06, 2018 08:57AM
We've been doing mail-in for years. When our kids were just old enough to understand voting, we made a family event out of filling out our ballots. Now, they wouldn't miss out on voting for anything.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 06, 2018 08:57AM
.....male-in.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DavidS
Date: November 06, 2018 09:28AM
Voted 2 weeks ago. Easy, no lines, and closer to my home than my regular voting location.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 06, 2018 11:40AM
Now i've voted twice!!

patriot smiley patriot smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 11:40AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: max
Date: November 06, 2018 12:12PM
On principle, I vote on the election day.
First time as far as I can remember there was a line, about a half hour wait.
The candidates I vote for are usually not the most popular, but “I’d rather vote for what I want and not get it, than for what I don’t want and get it.” - Eugene Debs.....
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 06, 2018 12:24PM
Principled. LOFL
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 06, 2018 12:38PM
max
“I’d rather vote for what I want and not get it, than for what I don’t want and get it.” - Eugene Debs.....

That's a fine sentiment for ordering in a restaurant. In a society where "what I don't want" can greatly affect my life, other calculations must come into play.

Now if we usedf ranked-choice voting,,,
Date: November 06, 2018 12:40PM

Are you prepared? Could be a long night

(comes out to about 20¢ a bag btw, high quality, too!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 12:41PM by Steve G..
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 06, 2018 12:45PM
"movie theater butter" smiley-laughing001
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 06, 2018 01:02PM
bfd
Principled. LOFL

I made mine REALLY count by pressing firmly on the touchscreen such that they really KNOW my intentions.
Date: November 06, 2018 03:40PM
Mr Downtown
max
“I’d rather vote for what I want and not get it, than for what I don’t want and get it.” - Eugene Debs.....

That's a fine sentiment for ordering in a restaurant. In a society where "what I don't want" can greatly affect my life, other calculations must come into play.

It all a question of how much you are willing to compromise on your principles.
Sometimes it does cost me, but I sleep with a clear conscience.
Voting for lesser evil is still voting for evil...

Mr Downtown
Now if we usedf ranked-choice voting,,,
I would be OK with ranked choice voting....
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 06, 2018 03:50PM
"Voting for lesser evil is still voting for evil... "

Not voting for the lesser of two evils is voting for the greater of two evils.
Date: November 06, 2018 04:01PM
max
Mr Downtown
max

It all a question of how much you are willing to compromise on your principles.
Sometimes it does cost me, but I sleep with a clear conscience.
Voting for lesser evil is still voting for evil...

Dennis S
"Voting for lesser evil is still voting for evil... "

Not voting for the lesser of two evils is voting for the greater of two evils.

Math was never one of your stronger subjects, you do understand that usually, you have other choices than just greater and lesser evils.
Even in a one dimensional plane there another side to the axis of evil, where opposite of evil exists, just like in the last presidential election.
Yet you only wish for evil...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 04:03PM by max.
Date: November 06, 2018 04:28PM
max
Even in a one dimensional plane there another side to the axis of evil, where opposite of evil exists, just like in the last presidential election.

Yet more of maxie's unadulterated casuistry and obfuscation.
Date: November 06, 2018 04:37PM
To stay on the bright side, look at it this way, he's only got ONE vote.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 06, 2018 04:57PM
No wait, maybe 20 people working or voting. Only one was younger than my wife and me. We live in a 60:40 Republican district.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 06, 2018 05:53PM
It took me ten minutes to get it done and back to my truck. It would have been 5 minutes if the woman in front of me didn't have a dog "trainee" on a leash. She tried about 20 times to slip the ballot into the machine, getting error after error (attempting with one hand). They finally made her take another ballot and do it over.

BTW, the dog looked miserable. He stared at me and whined like he wanted some attention. She gave him a stern "NO!" and yanked on the leash.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 06, 2018 06:48PM
Just came back from voting. I chose the "I voted" sticker from the Yurok Tribe (NW CA).

Northern California Coast
Date: November 06, 2018 10:49PM
DeusxMac
max

Yet more of maxie's unadulterated casuistry and obfuscation.

So you did not get this one, too, DeusxMac.

That makes it three whooshes for three.

You are consistent...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 07, 2018 03:53AM
Why was the poll disabled? I don't spend 24hrs on this forum, and if the poll requirement was to wait until after voting to vote on this poll, then at least a 24hr after polls close allowance should have been made.

BTW, I voted. All proposals that I voted for passed, and the majority of candidates that I voted for got in.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 07, 2018 06:45AM
Sarcany,

I voted begrudgingly. My wife wanted to vote, so I tagged along with her so I could keep an eye on Little M at the polling location. I ended up casting my vote.

Skewed my first ballot because the morons changed part of its design at the very bottom, making it unnecessarily confusing. I used the "spoiled" stamp to create a wonderful big honkin' smiley face all over it and got a new ballot.

I predicted who would win in my area before I cast my ballot. The results confirmed each prediction.

And, as I knew in advance, the wins were by wide enough margins that my vote didn't make a difference at all.

Total waste of my time.

Very disheartening.

Robert
Date: November 07, 2018 07:05AM
Sam3
Why was the poll disabled? I don't spend 24hrs on this forum, and if the poll requirement was to wait until after voting to vote on this poll, then at least a 24hr after polls close allowance should have been made.

The question was "Did you vote in today's election?"

It's not that "today" anymore.

Date: November 07, 2018 07:07AM
Robert M
I predicted who would win in my area before I cast my ballot. The results confirmed each prediction.

And, as I knew in advance, the wins were by wide enough margins that my vote didn't make a difference at all.

Total waste of my time.

Very disheartening.

Robert

Perhaps you can take comfort thinking about how your vote contributed to the margin of a loser's big loss.

Date: November 07, 2018 07:13AM
Robert M

Total waste of my time.

Very disheartening.

Robert

Do you only think it worthwhile to vote in elections that will likely be decided by your vote? Should all elections be that close?

I'm not sure that you understand how democracy works.

rj
AKA
Date: November 07, 2018 07:44AM
rj,

I understand exactly how democracy works. I just question the value of my vote when the winner of the election is pretty much determined long before I cast my ballot. If, on Election Day, you know who is going to win by a tremendous amount, regardless of how many people vote, it makes you really question whether or not democracy is in fact actually working.

That and, as I said before, there is the issue of the people running for office. It's the same people over and over again or new people who are pretty much clones of the previous generation, with the end result being the same crapola. Seems completely pointless.

Robert
Date: November 07, 2018 07:56AM
Robert, even if you’re absolutely convinced of which candidates will win, surely you have some measures on your ballot to vote for or against don’t you?
Date: November 07, 2018 09:02AM
Deusx,

I didn't vote for or against the leading candidates. Since I knew the outcome of the elections were never in question, when feasible, I voted for giggles for candidates that never stood a chance in the first place. If nothing else, my vote helps ensure the non-traditional parties have something on their record. They can say, "Hey, Our country doesn't have a two-party system, you know. We're here, too!"

Often times a Democ$$@$@ or Republic@$$!@ will also be under one of the little parties and there are no other candidates. In those cases, I choose the candidate I think is less of a $!@@$@ and mark his/her name under the little party rather than one of the big two. Just for giggles and the reason I stated in the previous paragraph.

Robert
Date: November 07, 2018 10:13AM
You express a lot of disdain for the electoral / democratic process where you are, Robert M, but your tone and attitude don't reflect any sense of ownership or responsibility.

Are you comfortable with having decided that someone else has screwed up the system so badly that it's hopeless, especially because the same people keep showing up to run for office? Does it seem civic-minded to blame the failures on other people (who, presumably, are more responsible for preserving and improving democracy than you are) and then just take a pass on participating? Or participate in such a cavalier way that it's really just an act of mockery?

Your cynicism is understandable, Robert M, but nobody else is going to fix it for you. This is your democracy as much as anyone else's. If someone told you that your engagement, participation, and sacrifice wouldn't be required to keep it going, that person or people lied to you. You have the ability to make this a priority, if you choose to.

rj
AKA
Date: November 07, 2018 11:04AM
rj,

Oh, I take ownership and responsibility for my attitude and actions. Why would you feel otherwise? I did vote, didn't it? And, I voted in a manner I felt was quite appropriate considering what our system as turned into over the years.

I might make it more of a priority if I felt the candidates and parties were truly in it for the people and the best interests of the people. Maybe in years past they were but it sure doesn't seem that way now. If someone told me it's going to change or a group is going to change it, my response will be, "Yeah. Good luck with that." or "Maybe someday. I doubt I'll be around to see it."

Robert
Date: November 07, 2018 11:12AM
Robert M
I voted begrudgingly. My wife wanted to vote, so I tagged along with her so I could keep an eye on Little M at the polling location. I ended up casting my vote.

DeusxMac
Robert, even if you’re absolutely convinced of which candidates will win, surely you have some measures on your ballot to vote for or against don’t you?

Robert M
Deusx,

I didn't vote for or against the leading candidates. Since I knew the outcome of the elections were never in question, when feasible, I voted for giggles for candidates that never stood a chance in the first place. If nothing else, my vote helps ensure the non-traditional parties have something on their record. They can say, "Hey, Our country doesn't have a two-party system, you know. We're here, too!"

Often times a Democ$$@$@ or Republic@$$!@ will also be under one of the little parties and there are no other candidates. In those cases, I choose the candidate I think is less of a $!@@$@ and mark his/her name under the little party rather than one of the big two. Just for giggles and the reason I stated in the previous paragraph.

Robert

But you only talk about your take on the CANDIDATES, you haven't responded about the OTHER things that one votes on in an election; the measures to be voted up or down. What about voting on them?
Date: November 07, 2018 12:12PM
Deus,

There were none this time.

Robert
Date: November 07, 2018 01:07PM
Robert M
rj,

Oh, I take ownership and responsibility for my attitude and actions.

Not ownership and responsibility for your attitude and actions. Ownership of and responsibility for democracy.

Robert M
And, I voted in a manner I felt was quite appropriate considering what our system as turned into over the years.

Again, you speak as though it is someone else's responsibility to maintain this system, not yours.

Robert M
I might make it more of a priority if I felt the candidates and parties were truly in it for the people and the best interests of the people. Maybe in years past they were but it sure doesn't seem that way now. If someone told me it's going to change or a group is going to change it, my response will be, "Yeah. Good luck with that." or "Maybe someday. I doubt I'll be around to see it."

Whose responsibility is it to fix this problem? Clearly not yours. Why do you resist addressing this question so consistently?

rj
AKA
Date: November 07, 2018 01:57PM
rj,

I'm supposed to take ownership of and responsibility for democracy? Are you kidding? I can take ownership of and responsibility for my actions within ours and I do that without hesitation. I won't do so for anyone one else or democracy in general.

Changing the system? Tell me truthfully, how can I or you for that matter change a system that is broken on so many levels that it needs to be dismantled entirely in some respects? Let's use campaign spending and time campaigning as an example.

I'd love to see candidates get X amount of money to spend on a given campaign and Y amount of time to spend campaigning. Each candidate gets the same budget and same amount of time to campaign. It puts them on equal ground.

You really think candidates would go for it? I _highly_ doubt it. You think average joes are going to make this happen? Highly improbable. Maybe on a local level but beyond it? I'll find kosher bacon before that happens.

I live within the confines of what we have and hope to change what I believe is feasible to change. Beyond that, all bets are off.

Robert
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 07, 2018 02:18PM
Robert M
rj,

I'm supposed to take ownership of and responsibility for democracy? Are you kidding? I can take ownership of and responsibility for my actions within ours and I do that without hesitation. I won't do so for anyone one else or democracy in general.

Changing the system? Tell me truthfully, how can I or you for that matter change a system that is broken on so many levels that it needs to be dismantled entirely in some respects? Let's use campaign spending and time campaigning as an example.

I'd love to see candidates get X amount of money to spend on a given campaign and Y amount of time to spend campaigning. Each candidate gets the same budget and same amount of time to campaign. It puts them on equal ground.

You really think candidates would go for it? I _highly_ doubt it. You think average joes are going to make this happen? Highly improbable. Maybe on a local level but beyond it? I'll find kosher bacon before that happens.

I live within the confines of what we have and hope to change what I believe is feasible to change. Beyond that, all bets are off.

Robert

Coming soon to your local deli:
[www.google.com]
Date: November 07, 2018 02:49PM
I'm so sorry that you're so disheartened and hopeless, Robert M.

This isn't what participatory democracy is supposed to offer you.

rj
AKA
Date: November 07, 2018 03:29PM
Robert M
Deusx,

You're in NY? You may have helped out more than you know.

Voting for a candidate on a 3rd party line contributes towards the party getting recognized as a political party for the purpose of holding a lawful primary and potentially provides a higher profile and more money for them in the next election. If they get 50,000 votes or more in a gubernatorial election year then they get to hold a primary in the next election cycle.

Whenever a candidate is endorsed by multiple political parties, I choose the least objectionable of the least mainstream party-line to vote on out of pure spite for the dems and repugs.

Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 08, 2018 03:44AM
Robert M
rj,

Robert

This has been my dream as well, probably for 20-30 years, or so. Unfortunately, it'll never happen, especially with the SCOTUS Citizen's United ruling. That ruling caused elections to go 180° in the opposite direction of what Robert M's and my hope's were. I've pretty much given up hope that things will ever change, and I, also, will play spoiler by voting third party. I will do that, however, only if a contest is seen as being completely lopsided, if it looks like it may be close, then I will go for the major party candidate who is closer to my worldview.
Date: November 08, 2018 06:37AM
rj,

Agreed. What we have now is not what a participatory democracy is supposed to offer the citizens of our country. Far from. And, that is one of the reasons lack hope and have such disdain for politics in our country. Wish I could say otherwise and, if I did, I'd be lying to you.

Robert

P.S. Sam, exactly!
Date: November 08, 2018 06:59AM
Robert M
rj,

Agreed. What we have now is not what a participatory democracy is supposed to offer the citizens of our country. Far from. And, that is one of the reasons lack hope and have such disdain for politics in our country. Wish I could say otherwise and, if I did, I'd be lying to you.

Robert

P.S. Sam, exactly!

What I still don't understand, Robert M, is: who, in your view of this system, will or can ever fix this? If it doesn't get fixed, what's your alternative plan?

When you talk about politics, it sounds almost like it's a commercial product, i.e.: "I used to like eBay, but these days the reviews are all fake, and there's no way to pursue a legitimate grievance, etc., so I'm not shopping there anymore. Let me know if they improve, and I might come back."

But there's no 'alternative vendor' to representative democracy in our system, and you are a shareholder with equal stake as everyone else in this 'company.' I guess you could call the party leadership the 'board of directors,' but much like in a corporation, they are beholden to the shareholders.

I don't really like these analogies, but it's the closest I can come to how your viewpoint sounds to me. And I am not trying to criticize you as a person (I've tried to be clear about that in this thread) - I'm really just trying to understand your perspective, which is very different from mine.

rj
AKA
Date: November 08, 2018 07:39AM
rj,

Who can fix it? Citizens? No. They don't make the laws. They can't fix it themselves. They need politicians/lawmakers to do it for them. Unless of course, you take the power of citizens to the ultimate extreme and they totally revolt. That ain't gonna happen.

Politicians/lawmakers? They can but they won't. Why do I say this? Because if they were willing, they'd already be fixing the problems. Instead, they talk about the problems and do nothing, perpetuate them, make them worse or create new ones (even if unintentionally sometimes). Every once in a while, they fix them but these instances seem few and far between.

My alternative plan? Keep doing what I'm doing until such a time there are lawmakers who are willing to take put themselves on the line and actually make the necessary changes. As I said, every once in a while a politician or several of them do fix one of the problems. It doesn't happen often enough to change my perspective of politics as a whole, though.

And, yes, to a degree, politics isn't just politics. There are so many non-political entities involved in politics that you could say that it has actually become commercial. Politics is big business on a ghastly number of levels.

FWIW, I know you're not trying to criticize me. In fact, you've been incredibly respectful and I applaud your willingness to try to understand my perspective on this. It is very much appreciated. I know it must be tough and frustrating because you and I are so at odds on how we feel about the subject.

I'm very tough on politics and even tougher on politicians on multiple levels. No doubt about it. Heck, I'm willing to take politicians to task for something as simple as failing to remove their lawn signs long after the current election is over.

Anyone who knows me knows that I do not fall into any one category when it comes to politics and our government and that I adjust my perspective of things regularly as my world and the world in which I live changes for the better, the worse or not at all.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 09:16AM by Robert M.
Date: November 08, 2018 08:09AM
Thanks, Robert M.

We live in a county where citizens are supposed to have the power to make these changes through the ballot, and through the election of working people to office. The purpose was to avoid the rule of the mob (as you referenced above, "you take the power of citizens to the ultimate extreme and they totally revolt," and also to keep politicians accountable by making everyday citizens eligible to replace them.

I'm sad that you feel so disconnected from that system that it feels like it's someone else's machine, and you can only call for change from the outside. It's not how America is supposed to operate, and where I live, that's not the only option. Here, I am able to meet with aspiring candidates before primaries and discuss the issues. We have community forums where folks are able to question candidates and press issues that matter to them. The parties are involved, and money matters, but candidates still work for votes here. I live in a mostly one-party locale, so most of the 'action' happens not on election day, but before primary day. It's not perfect, but the competition in the primary is real, and the candidates are responsive. It takes time, effort, and energy but I feel like my involvement matters.

I hope that you can find a way to share this sense of participation, if not now then someday. I encourage you not to give up or stop trying. Thanks for engaging on this.

rj
AKA
Date: November 08, 2018 11:28AM
DeusxMac
"movie theater butter" smiley-laughing001

comes from Hollywood cows!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 252
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018