advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"If I were to wear my blackface makeup, maybe you would understand what I'm telling you"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 06, 2018 01:50PM
An actual quote from a white poll judge in north Houston today speaking to a black woman attempting to vote.

[www.chron.com]

Don't want to only focus on the negative today when an unprecedented number of Americans are out voting in a midterm...but this kind of stuff goes on, especially in the South, and one of the really good things about this year is that it's being talked about and pointed out a lot, and in at least some cases remedied.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "If I were to wear my blackface makeup, maybe you would understand what I'm telling you"
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 06, 2018 01:59PM
Interesting thought... the video camera equipped phone has produced and disseminated more incontrovertible evidence of racism than any invention.

"I didn't say that !"
"Here is the video."

"Um... I resign."
Re: "If I were to wear my blackface makeup, maybe you would understand what I'm telling you"
Posted by: billb
Date: November 06, 2018 02:49PM
They were probably spewing all manner of racial epithets at each other and you'd probably be hard pressed to determine who hurled the worst one first, but you won't hear about both sides of the story in smear pieces like these.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 06, 2018 03:29PM
sure thing, bill.
Posted by: max
Date: November 06, 2018 03:36PM
I voted today in Houston and had a similar problem as Anthony, the county switched to an all-electronic registration verification system and for one, it could not handle all 700 precincts trying to log in all, at the same time. misspellings, missed hyphens, etc, all required additional handling as in Anthony's case and mine. I was the only nonminority voter in my line, but since the officials at the station were all minority, as well, nobody alleged presumptions of suppression...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 06, 2018 04:40PM
max
I voted today in Houston and had a similar problem as Anthony..

So classic Hanlon's razor then ?

Works for me. I usually assume governmental organizations are manned by idiots. And am rarely disappointed.
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 06, 2018 05:32PM
max
I voted today in Houston and had a similar problem as Anthony, the county switched to an all-electronic registration verification system and for one, it could not handle all 700 precincts trying to log in all, at the same time. misspellings, missed hyphens, etc, all required additional handling as in Anthony's case and mine. I was the only nonminority voter in my line, but since the officials at the station were all minority, as well, nobody alleged presumptions of suppression...

The people operating the equipment aren't necessarily part of any suppression. They're generally volunteers who want to see the wheels of our democracy move. But there are career bureaucrats and elected politicians who see to it that the voting apparatus are in place, and they have some ability to allocate more or less functional equipment to places they think will help or hurt their causes.

Had I been witness to any kind of substandard operation I would have video'd it and sent it to several local and national news organizations and let them decide whether it was sufficient to qualify as suppression.
g=
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 06, 2018 07:55PM
billb
They were probably spewing all manner of racial epithets at each other and you'd probably be hard pressed to determine who hurled the worst one first, but you won't hear about both sides of the story in smear pieces like these.

Nothing like a large, syrupy helping of baseless speculation, imagination, and whataboutism to get you through unpleasant news, right?

Don’t let any sort of corroborated evidence get in the way of a maligned smear for the free press, pal.

They aren’t the enemy. You are.
Date: November 06, 2018 10:27PM
cbelt3
max
I voted today in Houston and had a similar problem as Anthony..

So classic Hanlon's razor then ?

Works for me. I usually assume governmental organizations are manned by idiots. And am rarely disappointed.

That is pretty much it....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 07, 2018 04:11AM
Those "idiots" that you two refer to are usually your neighbors, average citizens who are doing a civic duty and want to see democracy work. Most poll workers are there to make sure the democratic process works correctly. Just because there is a bad apple or two in the bunch does not mean that the whole peck needs to be tossed out.
Date: November 07, 2018 08:25AM
Sam3
Those "idiots" that you two refer to are usually your neighbors, average citizens who are doing a civic duty and want to see democracy work. Most poll workers are there to make sure the democratic process works correctly. Just because there is a bad apple or two in the bunch does not mean that the whole peck needs to be tossed out.

No, Sam, the idiots we are referring to are the government drones, mostly there because they could not make it in the real world, achieving their positions as the living proof of the Peter principle....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018