advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing much of a blue wave
Posted by: hal
Date: November 06, 2018 08:19PM
Early results are looking very Trumpy. Not just republican, but Trumpy republican.

TN senate was supposed to be close... nope. Dem is getting crushed. Red state Dem senators that voted against Kavanaugh are getting crushed. The house will probably got blue, but not by much. Looks like Dems are gonna lose several seats in the Senate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Call me crazy, but I'm not seeing much of a blue wave
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 06, 2018 08:46PM
Someone recently asked a cynical friend of mine: "Do you think elections in the US are broken?"
He retorted: "No, I think they're fixed."

I think that's what we'll be seeing as the academic analysis comes out in a century or two, after the tide of the Republicans' theft has turned. Assuming that it all doesn't get burned down in the chaotic history that is bound to ensue with the trajectory we are on.

They are seriously going to prosecute the Democratic Party of Georgia (in a case where any sensible participant would recuse themselves from office for conflict of interest) for changing the numbers in a URL as a matter of CRIMINAL HACKING (as an example of how ludicrous this idea is, look at the MRF URL for any given thread, and change the numbers in it. You'll get a different MRF thread - and you've now committed criminal unauthorized access in Georgia for hacking the website by manually entering a URL you weren't directed to specifically through a hyperlink presented to you!)

There should be criminal prosecution on this matter, but it should be against the Secretary of State there who is at best negligent and most likely overtly criminally culpable for failing to secure their election systems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 08:51PM by gabester.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 06, 2018 09:10PM
NBC is seeing a House Dem pickup of maybe 30-35 seats.
We'll see.

Definitely erosion in Senate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 06, 2018 09:18PM
Florida looks to be a GOP gain in both the senate and governor, each by about 50k votes out of 8 million cast.

Kansas has woke up though, they dumped Kobach

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 06, 2018 09:38PM
In "purple" Minnesota, every statewide seat is going Dem. Klobuchar wins her third US Senate seat in a blowout. Tina Smith will hold Franken's seat in a blowout. We are sending the first Somali-American to the US House (muslim and dem) in a blowout.

It looks like of the 4 US house seats in MN that were nationally targeted by Repubs, they might win one, with another neck and neck. Two US House Repub incumbents have been flipped to Dem, so they're not going to gain any seats here.

In the governor's races, Dem Tim Walz is winning in an unexpected cakewalk, making the 3rd consecutive Dem term in a long time (...and don't hold your breath, but Trumpie Scott Walker may be going down for Wisconsin governor).

Yeah, the US Senate is disappointing, and red states are gonna be red states... but I'll take a ~35 seat gain in the US House any day. Subpoena power, baby!
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 06, 2018 10:25PM
pdq
Trumpie Scott Walker may be going down for Wisconsin governor).

smiley-gen013

I'm really hoping this sticks. Scott Walker in WI may have been amongst the beginning of this wave of American electoral stupidity... and hopefully between this and KS rejecting Kobach it is the turning of the tide.

I've heard there was an amendment in Florida to reinstate the right to vote for former convicts who've served their time, which has disenfranchised ~1 million people there, 1 in 10 potential voters... and if that does indeed go through then they will be blue from here on out barring shenanigans from the Governor-elect (which there no doubt WILL be.) Disappointing, but I wonder how much the hurricane impacted turnout in the panhandle.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 06, 2018 10:40PM
Ballot initiatives in CO and MI for independent redistricting has also won by landslides, and NC will have their gerrymandering reversed for the next election.

The House blue wave is looking as good or better than the polls showed.

Some differences - SE went Trumpian, but the Midwest is going more DEM.
Date: November 06, 2018 10:40PM
pdq
Yeah, the US Senate is disappointing, and red states are gonna be red states... but I'll take a ~35 seat gain in the US House any day. Subpoena power, baby!

Great new in Minny. Of course if the dems hold the house, Trump will now blame every thing that goes wrong on the house.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 06, 2018 11:12PM
hal
pdq

Great new in Minny. Of course if the dems hold the house, Trump will now blame every thing that goes wrong on the house.

No President has ever done that before.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: November 06, 2018 11:35PM
billb
hal
pdq

No President has ever done that before.

we'll transition from 'so much winning' to 'so much whining'.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2018 03:09AM
hal
pdq

Meaning no change as he has been blaming the Democrats in Congress for the lack of legislation even though the Repugs controlled all branches of government.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 07, 2018 03:54AM
The House races were a wash. Two Democratic seats flipped to Republican, two Republican seats flipped to Democratic. I really hated to see the Iron Range seat go Republican.

pdq
In "purple" Minnesota, every statewide seat is going Dem. Klobuchar wins her third US Senate seat in a blowout. Tina Smith will hold Franken's seat in a blowout. We are sending the first Somali-American to the US House (muslim and dem) in a blowout.

It looks like of the 4 US house seats in MN that were nationally targeted by Repubs, they might win one, with another neck and neck. Two US House Repub incumbents have been flipped to Dem, so they're not going to gain any seats here.

In the governor's races, Dem Tim Walz is winning in an unexpected cakewalk, making the 3rd consecutive Dem term in a long time (...and don't hold your breath, but Trumpie Scott Walker may be going down for Wisconsin governor).

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 07, 2018 05:03AM
gabester
I've heard there was an amendment in Florida to reinstate the right to vote for former convicts who've served their time, which has disenfranchised ~1 million people there, 1 in 10 potential voters... and if that does indeed go through then they will be blue from here on out barring shenanigans from the Governor-elect (which there no doubt WILL be.) Disappointing, but I wonder how much the hurricane impacted turnout in the panhandle.

Yes, Amendment 4 pass allowing 1.4 million former felons to vote again. The question will become how many will vote, and for whom? Their demographic can be skewed to favor either party.

As for the hurricane affected areas, voter turnout was down but it really didn't matter as that is a very Republican area. A larger turnout would have just added votes to the winning Republicans.

Left unsaid (and it was never a talking point in the race for some reason), the incoming Governor will immediately appoint three new state supreme court justices. The three liberal justices are retired due to reaching 70 on the same day DeSantis assumes office. Another amendment also raised that retirement.

Based on some other Amendments in regards to taxation, Florida is likely to become the new Kansas.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Date: November 07, 2018 05:46AM
Ombligo
Based on some other Amendments in regards to taxation, Florida is likely to become the new Kansas.

Ahh, a return to the old, lazy Florida. I look forward to it. Ship the snowbirds back north.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 05:48AM by Speedy.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 07, 2018 06:49AM
Apparently SEVENTY MILLION DOLLARS doesn’t buy what it used to in Texas. dunno smiley
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 07, 2018 07:59AM
testcase
Apparently SEVENTY MILLION DOLLARS doesn’t buy what it used to in Texas. dunno smiley

True, and if O'Rourke had vastly outspent Cruz in negative, bullsh!ttery TV ads, he might have won instead.

"Congratulations," Texas. You clearly got the better person elected, again.
Posted by: max
Date: November 07, 2018 08:20AM
deckeda
testcase

True, and if O'Rourke had vastly outspent Cruz in negative, bullsh!ttery TV ads, he might have won instead.

The fault is all mine, I voted for Beto....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 07, 2018 09:03AM
.....smurfy....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 07, 2018 10:26AM
More like a blue trickle.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 07, 2018 10:48AM
testcase

They should have spent every nickel on voter registration.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 07, 2018 11:05AM
max
deckeda
testcase

For shame. Don't you realize Democrats would steal your guns and murder babies?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 07, 2018 11:09AM
Beto came very close to toppling a red incumbent in a red state. If one is realistic about it, he did quite well. That race was kind of a dream to begin with and he almost made it a reality.

Posted by: billb
Date: November 07, 2018 11:17AM
Obama lost 60 seats in his first mid-term.
Trump lost 30+.

Obama is twice the loser.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 07, 2018 12:34PM
billb
Obama lost 60 seats in his first mid-term.
Trump lost 30+.

Obama is twice the loser.
Fear of a Black Planet syndrome. big grin smiley
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 07, 2018 01:08PM
It was a blue wave in Michigan. The blues swept governor, secretary of state, and attorney general. All were flips. Plus, a few congressional seats were flipped blue, including the complete tool of a congressman we had in my district. I'm so happy to see him shown the door!

Nothing really changed in the Republican-majority state legislature, though.

As far as the GOP gaining in the U.S. Senate... I don't see it as that big a deal. They already had a majority there. Adding a few seats only makes it less iffy for them on close votes when a Republican here or there might break ranks. However, with the exception of McCain on one vote--who is now gone--that never really happened anyway. Besides, before, if they lost a vote, Pence was always there for the tie-breaker.

Date: November 07, 2018 02:59PM
AllGold
As far as the GOP gaining in the U.S. Senate... I don't see it as that big a deal. They already had a majority there. Adding a few seats only makes it less iffy for them on close votes when a Republican here or there might break ranks. However, with the exception of McCain on one vote--who is now gone--that never really happened anyway. Besides, before, if they lost a vote, Pence was always there for the tie-breaker.

That McCain vote was HUGE!!!! If not for the tight configuration in the senate, Obamacare would now be history thanks to that McCain vote. And there were several issues where the repubs had to pull back a bit in order to get to 50. Now they have two extra votes AND one fewer maverick. That's no small thing.

But that sure is great new for MI (and WI)
Date: November 07, 2018 05:00PM
hal
AllGold

That McCain vote was HUGE!!!! If not for the tight configuration in the senate, Obamacare would now be history thanks to that McCain vote. And there were several issues where the repubs had to pull back a bit in order to get to 50. Now they have two extra votes AND one fewer maverick. That's no small thing.

But that sure is great new for MI (and WI)

The Repugs could have 75 senators and, except for its advise and consent role, it wouldn’t matter because the House is in the hands of the Democratic Party.

Posted by: max
Date: November 07, 2018 07:54PM
deckeda
max
deckeda
testcase

For shame. Don't you realize Democrats would steal your guns and murder babies?

I am not the one swilling the Koolaide here, nor am I the one with Trump Derangement Syndrome here....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 267
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018