advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
a more important Congressional chamber?
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 07, 2018 10:32AM
I am beginning to think that of the two chambers, the Senate is the more important one. It, together with the Presidency, sets the tone for judicial oversight of the government, and now that there is no longer a filibuster that requires 60 votes to override, the President and the Senate, if of the same party, can easily shape the nature of law interpretation for the next generation or more. This has become quite clear with recent events, and, if one would have studied this a few years ago, would have seen the same thing, just with the opposite effect as the Presidency and the Senate were in opposition then.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: a more important Congressional chamber?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 07, 2018 10:36AM
They are equally important for different reasons. The Senate is failing more spectacularly than the House, in large part by emulation.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 07, 2018 11:08AM
The Judicial takeover strategy has been a long game. Except.... While the Senate is still strongly Republican, the results of the House election should strike fear into the election commissions of the Senate, which may affect their thinking. So I would not call it a done deal.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2018 11:14AM
Money bills originate in the House.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 07, 2018 11:36AM
We haven't had this configuration: Dem House, GOP Senate and White House, since Reagan's first 6 years. Those were Tip O'Neill days.

A lot of how effective the House will be as a bulwark against Trump and the GOP depends on the Speaker and the committee chairs. We'll see who we get.

But yeah I agree with Sam3 that the federal judicial outlook is very bad indeed, making it more important than ever that we have lawmakers from the other party.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 07, 2018 01:54PM
I think the first thing the Dems should do is get someone other than Pelosi for speaker. She is a lightning rod and damaged goods.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 07, 2018 03:50PM
Ombligo
I think the first thing the Dems should do is get someone other than Pelosi for speaker. She is a lightning rod and damaged goods.

agree smiley Along with a little over half the population.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: max
Date: November 07, 2018 04:28PM
Sam3
... now that there is no longer a filibuster that requires 60 votes to override, the President and the Senate, if of the same party, can easily shape the nature of law interpretation for the next generation or more. .

Another self inflicted Democratic fiasco.
Thanks, Harry Reid...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2018 04:29PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Ombligo

agree smiley Along with a little over half the population.

I’m in the other half. Rep. Pelosi is a very effective leader and proved it when she last was speaker, thus why the other side has waged a relentless campaign against her for over a decade.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 04:30PM by Speedy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018