advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Breaking News: Jeff Sessions resigns as Attorney General....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 07, 2018 01:47PM
....just announced.....more details to come....Matthew Whitaker to take over as acting Attorney General.......

.....Trump kicked him to the curb.....

Attorney General Jeff Sessions Resigns from Trump White House

Exit comes at request of President Trump

....Attorney General Jeff Sessions has resigned at the request of President Trump. The move follows months of Mr. Trump expressing his displeasure with Mr. Sessions in critical tweets.

The abrupt move ended Mr. Sessions’ tumultuous tenure as the nation’s top law-enforcement officer. Throughout, he couldn’t shake Mr. Trump’s displeasure over the special-counsel investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Mr. Trump appointed Mr. Sessions’ Chief of Staff Matthew Whitaker as acting attorney general.

Mr. Sessions’ departure creates instant uncertainty not only at the Justice Department but also at special counsel Robert Mueller’s office. Mr. Sessions had recused himself from that investigation because of his role in the Trump campaign, but a new attorney general could oversee the probe.

Lawmakers of both parties have warned Mr. Trump against naming a new attorney general to weaken Mr. Mueller, but some Republicans more recently have signaled a willingness to consider replacements.

Any new nominee is certain to be closely scrutinized during the Senate confirmation process over whether the Mueller probe needed to be reined in or shut down entirely. Such a move could touch off a political crisis.

another one bites the dust..........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 01:54PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Breaking News: Jeff Sessions resigns as Attorney General....
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 07, 2018 01:54PM
[forums.macresource.com]

I voted day after Tuesday’s elections, and so it is…

It’s like the game show on NPR, Wait Wait… The most improbable answer is usually the correct one.

Edit> Fingers crossed that Mueller has protocols in place to protect the investigation evidence…

=wr=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 01:59PM by wave rider.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 07, 2018 02:05PM
wave rider
Edit> Fingers crossed that Mueller has protocols in place to protect the investigation evidence…

smiley-laughing001

So it begins.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 07, 2018 02:07PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Start your protest planning. If Mueller is fired, there needs to be a coordinated nationwide action. I will open carry my sword.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2018 02:09PM
Read Jeff Sessions's resignation letter (for real)

Date: November 07, 2018 02:21PM
^^^ Brown noser till the end. Sad…

=wr=
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 07, 2018 02:28PM
Is that brown nosing, or is that a list of reasons why Trump was wrong to fire him? I vote for the latter.

Date: November 07, 2018 02:36PM
best comment:
"It is not the AG's job to protect the president"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 07, 2018 02:38PM
Ugh that letter is so misleading but consider the author...Trump has not been in office long enough to claim they have "reversed" violent crime trends, which were still on the rise throughout 2017.

He also failed to mention his department's abysmal civil rights record and disregard for the problem of police brutality.

Good riddance Jeff though your successor will be just as bad I'm sure.

Anyway, in 2018 does anyone really think Trump can say "destroy the records" and there will magically be no evidence of Mueller's investigation? Isn't it a crime to destroy official records? And if Trump were to do that why would he not immediately be impeached, as a criminal? Asking for a friend.
Date: November 07, 2018 02:46PM
Lemon Drop
Anyway, in 2018 does anyone really think Trump can say "destroy the records" and there will magically be no evidence of Mueller's investigation? Isn't it a crime to destroy official records? And if Trump were to do that why would he not immediately be impeached, as a criminal? Asking for a friend.

What did Gina Haspel do to the torture tapes when the CIA determined that they would be subpoenaed by Congress?

Edit: follow up question - what consequences did Gina Haspel face for that decision, and what is she up to these days?

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 02:47PM by rjmacs.
Date: November 07, 2018 02:47PM
Lemon Drop
Ugh that letter is so misleading but consider the author...Trump has not been in office long enough to claim they have "reversed" violent crime trends, which were still on the rise throughout 2017.
Not correct. Violent crimes have been on the decline in America for many years. Any temporary blips barely disturb the downward trend line.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 07, 2018 02:48PM
Lemon Drop

thanks for that bit of sanity - the hysteria around here is remarkable.
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 07, 2018 02:54PM
Not unexpected, but not good.

I'd hope, if things got dark enough, evidence would be dumped into the media, and let the chips fall where they may. Of course, then he'd just shut down the media, too.
Date: November 07, 2018 02:59PM
People need to stop acting as if Trump was truly the autocrat that he believes himself to be. It's starting to sound more like "boogy man under the bed" than sounding like rational speculation.

Date: November 07, 2018 03:02PM
Lemon Drop
Anyway, in 2018 does anyone really think Trump can say "destroy the records" and there will magically be no evidence of Mueller's investigation? Isn't it a crime to destroy official records?

Mueller will leave a copy of everything with someone trustworthy
Date: November 07, 2018 03:03PM
Steve G.
Lemon Drop
Not correct. Violent crimes have been on the decline in America for many years. Any temporary blips barely disturb the downward trend line.

Unfortunately that's not true Steve.
Check out the FBI stats, in 2015 and 2016 crime violent crime went up significantly, then in 2017 it went up only slightly, but still headed up. That was after many years of decline.
Date: November 07, 2018 03:08PM
Rod Rosenstein has a 'previously scheduled' meeting at the whitehouse today... at least he isn't being fired by tweet.
Date: November 07, 2018 03:10PM
$tevie
People need to stop acting as if Trump was truly the autocrat that he believes himself to be. It's starting to sound more like "boogy man under the bed" than sounding like rational speculation.

He fired the guy he has been screaming about not ending the investigation into his campaign on the day after the midterm elections.

The day after.

The boogy man is about to end that investigation by proxy; it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise, given that ending the investigation is the reason for firing Sessions.

Oh yeah, all of us negative Nancies are clearly just blowing all of this out of proportion; he'll probably just sit back and let Mueller finish up, submit his report, hand it over to a Democratically controlled House of Representatives, and offer the services of the FBI to answer questions, provide documentation, and give full explanations on the record.

rj
AKA
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 07, 2018 03:12PM
Will Kate McKinnon be able to play the replacement? She already does Lindsey Graham

Date: November 07, 2018 03:20PM
There's no question that Trump wants to shut down the Mueller investigation (aka Witch Hunt) as he's been screaming about that since it started.

I just don't see how, when the evidence is already in the hands of a prosecutor, that the Trump administration can somehow get it and destroy it. And that will be the only copy.

I can totally see why the CIA would destroy tapes of torture made during the Iraq war, and then lie about it and try to cover it up. (Didn't they destroy the tapes back in 2004 or something - this didn't just happen.) I don't like that Haspel oversaw torture and now she's in charge of the CIA but still that seems very different than this situation with an active investigation already underway.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 07, 2018 03:21PM
Trump might make sure he has his loyal lieutenants in place to control what actions get done and what information goes in and out of the DOJ and then act swiftly and decisively to incinerate the Mueller investigation or he might throttle Mueller more slowly so as to not make his marginal supporters ever have to make that one big step all at once. With his lieutenants in control, he may feel that he has the luxury of taking the slower approach and soften the reaction. I suspect that how quickly he acts will be closely correlated with how guilty he is and knows Mueller knows. Fast or slow actions, the whole way he is going about this makes him look more and more guilty of something of some consequence.

About Sessions - I agree with Lemon Drop and I think he showed a distinct lack of moral courage in signing a resignation letter rather than forcing Trump to fire him. That makes a big difference because if Sessions had forced Trump to fire him, then Rosenstein would have assumed temporary control of the DOJ. Since Sessions resigned, though, that kicked in a different rule that allowed Trump to appoint a lieutenant as temporary AG. I suppose Sessions might have thought that Trump would just change the rules to what he wanted anyway, though. The cynical side of me thinks Trump dangled something that Sessions really wanted in front of him to get him to sign a resignation letter.
Date: November 07, 2018 03:29PM
Steve G.
Lemon Drop
Anyway, in 2018 does anyone really think Trump can say "destroy the records" and there will magically be no evidence of Mueller's investigation? Isn't it a crime to destroy official records?

If he did that, I suspect he would also announce what he was doing publicly along with a powerful explanation of why he felt compelled to do so and that he accepts the full legal ramifications that might be in store for him because he was doing it for the country. And then in January of 2021, the new president would pardon him with thanks for his service to the country.
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 07, 2018 03:31PM
cbelt3
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Start your protest planning. If Mueller is fired, there needs to be a coordinated nationwide action. I will open carry my sword.

There are groups preparing for emergency "Nobody Is Above the Law" rallies.

NOBODY IS ABOVE THE LAW—MUELLER FIRING RAPID RESPONSE

Trump will create a constitutional crisis if he fires special counsel Robert Mueller or Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who oversees Mueller, or attempts to compromise the investigation by other means. (See The Plan for details.)

Our response in the hours following a potential power grab will dictate what happens next—whether Congress will stand up to Trump or allow him to move our democracy toward authoritarianism.

That's why we're preparing to hold emergency "Nobody Is Above the Law" rallies around the country, in the event they are needed—900+ of them and counting, in every state, with 400,000 RSVPs to date!

Join us.

Enter your ZIP code in the search field or scroll through the list to find an event near you, or create one if none exists.

MoveOn.org

Northern California Coast
Date: November 07, 2018 03:43PM
Ted King
Steve G.
Lemon Drop

If he did that, I suspect he would also announce what he was doing publicly along with a powerful explanation of why he felt compelled to do so and that he accepts the full legal ramifications that might be in store for him because he was doing it for the country. And then in January of 2021, the new president would pardon him with thanks for his service to the country.

I was only joking.
Date: November 07, 2018 03:52PM
Steve G.
Ted King
Steve G.
Lemon Drop

I was only joking.

Yeah, sorry, I got that but it ignited this fantasy I've been carrying that if Mueller thought it was a matter of giving the information to some reliable outsider or the information being obliterated, that he would do the most honorable thing - which would be to make sure that the information wasn't lost. Chances are, though, that there will be other ways to make sure Trump can't just wipe the information away.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2018 04:24PM
Sessions ‘resigned’ so he could run for senator again without having the president back his opponent in any primary.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 07, 2018 04:26PM
At a minimum, Trump greatly upgraded his intelligence on what Mueller is doing. Before he had to rely on a clunky go-through-Nunes route and it didn't work well enough - and then there's the fact that Nunes won't be chairman of the House Intelligence. Now he's got his loyal acting AJ, he will get top shelf dope on what Mueller is doing.
Date: November 07, 2018 04:37PM
Reuters- The 71-year-old former U.S. senator was informed on Wednesday morning by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly in a phone call that it was time to go, said an aide who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 07, 2018 04:58PM
Steve G.
Reuters- The 71-year-old former U.S. senator was informed on Wednesday morning by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly in a phone call that it was time to go, said an aide who spoke on condition of anonymity.

You can say all you want about Kelly trying to be a moderating/controlling influence on Trump, but I don’t think history is going to see him as anything by a hopeless toady.

Sad.
Date: November 07, 2018 05:04PM
BTW, re the US violent crime rate, here’s the long term rate up to 2016:

See that teeny tiny bump in 2016? That’s what this letter claims that Trump “reversed”.

ROTFL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 05:07PM by pdq.
Date: November 07, 2018 05:10PM
Lemon Drop
I just don't see how, when the evidence is already in the hands of a prosecutor, that the Trump administration can somehow get it and destroy it. And that will be the only copy.

I have to apologize. I have been repeating a bad habit of mine; not spelling it out because I think other people know the contents of my brain.

Here's how it happens: the president appoints Acting AG Matthew Whitaker, who can conduct the business of the Justice Dept pending Senate confirmation of another nominee. Immediately, Rod Rosenstein is out of the loop; no longer recused, the Acting AG can direct the investigation in any way instructed. The president instructs the Acting AG to tell Mueller to close the investigation, write a final report (detailing what should be included), and send the report up the chain to the Acting AG. Whitaker reviews the report, edits it such that it is both truthful and incomplete, and then sends a neutered report to Congress. Then, as is not unheard of in such inquiries, he orders the destruction of all investigative materials not related to ongoing legal matters. All of this occurs before the new Congress is sworn in.

The Democratically-controlled House will investigate, and may accuse the administration of malfeasance, but that won't bring the documents back.

rj
AKA
Date: November 07, 2018 05:21PM
pdq
Steve G.

You can say all you want about Kelly trying to be a moderating/controlling influence on Trump, but I don’t think history is going to see him as anything by a hopeless toady.

Sad.

I think Steve was pointing out that, once again, Trump did not fire one of his guys, but instead had Kelly do it. bBcause he's a coward... that's how I read it...
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 07, 2018 05:34PM
"Dear Mr. President,
At your request, I am submitting my resignation."
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2018 05:37PM
DeusxMac
"Dear Mr. President,
At your request, I am submitting my resignation."

Trust me, absolutely no one missed that. Ok, maybe Faux News watching Deplorables will miss it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 05:38PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 07, 2018 06:03PM
How does this wording affect his unemployment benefits?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 07, 2018 06:06PM
One last use??

Date: November 07, 2018 08:48PM
rjmacs
$tevie

He fired the guy he has been screaming about not ending the investigation into his campaign on the day after the midterm elections.

The day after.

The boogy man is about to end that investigation by proxy; it is ridiculous to suggest otherwise, given that ending the investigation is the reason for firing Sessions.

Oh yeah, all of us negative Nancies are clearly just blowing all of this out of proportion; he'll probably just sit back and let Mueller finish up, submit his report, hand it over to a Democratically controlled House of Representatives, and offer the services of the FBI to answer questions, provide documentation, and give full explanations on the record.
He can be stopped. Take a deep breath and let it out, slowly. He can be stopped.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 07, 2018 09:42PM
Senate Republicans are on social media telling *everyone* not to worry, that any new AG can't take office without promising to not fire Mueller.

All the next AG has to do is turn off the cash spigot and Mueller's team is out of work.
Date: November 07, 2018 10:17PM
deckeda
Senate Republicans are on social media telling *everyone* not to worry, that any new AG can't take office without promising to not fire Mueller.

All the next AG has to do is turn off the cash spigot and Mueller's team is out of work.

I’ve been thinking about that. Didn’t the team make a big profit on the confiscation of assets from Manafort et al?

=wr=
Date: November 08, 2018 12:26AM
deckeda

Ah yes - a helpful suggestion once floated (perhaps originally?) on teevee by some guy named Whittaker.

That’s okay though - no POTUS would dare let that happen. And as to the rest of the Republicans, here’s that unwavering moral paragon and Sunday talk show darling Lindsay Graham, saying on teevee that if Trump got rid of Sessions to squelch the Mueller investigation, there would be “holy hell to pay”.

Whew. For a minute there I was worried.
Date: November 08, 2018 07:03AM
$tevie
He can be stopped. Take a deep breath and let it out, slowly. He can be stopped.

I'll be coming to you for support if it doesn't work out that way. smiley12

rj
AKA
Date: November 08, 2018 08:47AM
$tevie

Probably only by not getting reelected - so he can be stopped in 803 days and 14 hours (from the now time of me typing this).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 289
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018