advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
White House pulls CNN correspondent Jim Acosta's pass after contentious news conference
Posted by: hal
Date: November 07, 2018 09:25PM
[www.cnn.com]

what a jerk!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: White House pulls CNN correspondent Jim Acosta's pass after contentious news conference
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 07, 2018 09:31PM
Failure to show proper deference to the orange emperor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 09:32PM by btfc.
Re: White House pulls CNN correspondent Jim Acosta's pass after contentious news conference
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2018 09:46PM
That’ll teach him to not ask tough questions.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 07, 2018 10:04PM
Bad reality TV.

No way Trump is getting an Emmy for this.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2018 10:04PM
How charmingly 'Third World Dictatorship'.
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 07, 2018 10:07PM
Can't figure out why all of these agencies don't just stand up, turn their backs and walk out, leaving Faux News. It's all lies anyway, who really cares wtf the assclown says. Besides … as soon as he's done with his news conference, he'll just tweet his own nonsensical gibberish on Twitter.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 07, 2018 10:24PM
It's about time.

The intern he assaulted should be filing charges.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2018 10:39PM by billb.
best comment:
On Wednesday night, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders accused Acosta of “placing his hands on a young woman” and said it was on those grounds Acosta’s press pass was being suspended “until further notice.”

Sarah Sanders, like her idol, Donald Trump is a LIAR.
Acosta held onto a microphone, not a woman.
It seems that Ms. Sanders has confused Acosta with her boss, someone who has repeatedly put his hands on young women.
Posted by: wave rider
45 came in the room looking for a fight.

One pundit speculated it seemed scripted. Reminded me that 45 is friends with the McMahons of the WWE; they sure know how to script a fake fight…

=wr=
Date: November 07, 2018 10:30PM
billb
It's about time.

You should take it up with your local congressman, bill. Democrats care about vicious suppression of members of the press.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 07, 2018 10:34PM
wave rider
45 came in the room looking for a fight.

One pundit speculated it seemed scripted.

of course... he's just creating a new story to tell his minions now that the election is over. It's a new episode.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 07, 2018 10:50PM
billb

What about the plethora of women Trump's assaulted bill? Oh, I see, it doesn't matter if it's someone you like huh?
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 07, 2018 11:00PM
billb
It's about time.

Looks more like he's being assaulted.

Posted by: Acer
Date: November 07, 2018 11:08PM
If it were a stand your ground state, he could have shot her.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 08, 2018 12:24AM
Steve G.
best comment:
On Wednesday night, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders accused Acosta of “placing his hands on a young woman” and said it was on those grounds Acosta’s press pass was being suspended “until further notice.”

Sarah Sanders, like her idol, Donald Trump is a LIAR.
Acosta held onto a microphone, not a woman.
It seems that Ms. Sanders has confused Acosta with her boss, someone who has repeatedly put his hands on young women.
dRump’s behavior is that of a cheap thug, and now they are trying to railroad Acosta with an entirely spurious allegation (And no, I wouldn’t be surprised if this ‘incident’ was manufactured).
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 08, 2018 12:56AM
Any ref working a 4th grader’s basketball game would easily declare she fouled him.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 08, 2018 01:52AM
GGD
billb
It's about time.

Looks more like he's being assaulted.

Great photo, GGD.

...and Acer, great comment!

Trumpie is still petulant that Acosta won’t stump for him on stage at one of his rallies, like all his Faux News “reporter” buddies do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 01:57AM by pdq.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 08, 2018 01:57AM
bfd
Can't figure out why all of these agencies don't just stand up, turn their backs and walk out, leaving Faux News. It's all lies anyway, who really cares wtf the assclown says. Besides … as soon as he's done with his news conference, he'll just tweet his own nonsensical gibberish on Twitter.
These people are so afraid of losing "access" that they let Trump walk all over them. Jim Acosta does not put up with it. I, too, wish they'd all walk out and repay Trump's contempt by denying him any TV time. But they won't.

Date: November 08, 2018 03:09AM
Here’s a short letter I threw together tonight that I’d like to send to ABC, NBC, CBS, and PBS

Dear sirs,

Sorry to bother you, but I’m wondering if legitimate national news organizations are planning to take any collective action over CNN’s Jim Acosta apparently losing his WH press credentials for asking tough questions in the contentious presser of Nov 7? Yes, I know the WH said something about Acosta placing his hands on a WH intern who was trying to take the microphone from him, but what we all saw was this:

The funny thing is, I can still recall how the legitimate news organizations were up in arms back in 2010 when Fox News missed an invite to a press event with then-Obama administration “pay czar” Kenneth Feinberg. In a web story of the time (see footnote), an unnamed “network bureau chief” was quoted as saying:

“If any member had been excluded it would have been same thing, it has nothing to do with Fox or the White House or the substance of the issues,” the bureau chief said. “It’s all for one and one for all.” (my emphasis).

The same article states:

White House correspondent Chip Reid corroborated the idea of the networks standing up behind Fox News.

“All the networks said, that’s it, you’ve crossed the line,” he said.

What I wonder is if Washington bureau chiefs of legitimate news organizations (including yours) will have a similar, unified reaction to Acosta’s credentials being pulled now? Or am I just being naive about such things? Perhaps that “line” not to be crossed, and those principles of press independence are passé in this brave new world.

We’re all watching to see if this is the case.

Thanks for your time,

[my name, address, phone number]

1- [www.huffingtonpost.com]

————-

Unfortunately, all the listed on-line contacts for each of these news organizations are web email forms, without formatting or pictures, and a 500 character (not word, character limit). Or Facebook addresses to send messages to, which I think have even tighter word limits.

So I guess I will print it out on dead trees and send these letters the old fashioned way. Sadly, I’m thinking that a meaningful response from any is unlikely.

But it’s my country, and it’s worth my time to try.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 08, 2018 06:34AM
Banana Republic move.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 08, 2018 07:12AM
....at least Peter Alexander [ is that his name ] with NBC did try to stand up for Acosta but he was quickly rebuffed by Trump who basically said he didn't like him either.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 08, 2018 07:22AM
Posted by: swampy
Date: November 08, 2018 07:26AM
Having press access is a privilege not a right. I assume the President can ban anyone he wishes without impunity. I'm glad Acosta has been reprimanded. Now he can slink off to some dark corner and whine and play the victim. I watched it live and his disrespect and refusal to turn over the microphone was disgusting.

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Posted by: p8712
Date: November 08, 2018 07:29AM
There's clear evidence they video was doctored. Anyone who believes it isn't is a fool.
Date: November 08, 2018 07:50AM
swampy
Having press access is a privilege not a right. I assume the President can ban anyone he wishes without impunity.
You seem to be confusing America with another place, swamp

“The first thing to do to win real equality and genuine democracy for the working people, for the workers and peasants, is to deprive capital of the possibility of hiring writers, buying up publishing houses, and hiring newspapers. And to do that the capitalists and exploiters have to be overthrown and their resistance suppressed."
Substitute 'anybody Trump doesn't like' and I believe you'll have your match.
Date: November 08, 2018 07:51AM
“swampy”
Having a free press is a privilege not a right. I assume the President can ban any part of the free press that he wishes without impunity. I'm glad the free press has been reprimanded. Now it can slink off to some dark corner and whine and play the victim. I watched it live and his disrespect and refusal to stop asking hard questions of the president was disgusting.

Fixed that for ya swampy, to be closer to your real feeling, I think.
Date: November 08, 2018 08:01AM
swampy
Having press access is a privilege not a right.

It's a right from our divine creator, which cannot be abridged, modified, or interfered with in any way. You know, like owning a machine gun for home defense!

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 08, 2018 08:02AM
swampy
Having press access is a privilege not a right. I assume the President can ban anyone he wishes without impunity. I'm glad Acosta has been reprimanded. Now he can slink off to some dark corner and whine and play the victim. I watched it live and his disrespect and refusal to turn over the microphone was disgusting.

The First Amendment called. It disagrees with you.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 08, 2018 08:16AM
Leave swampy alone!

You absolutely know that if Obama had banned Fox from the press briefings that she would have defended him exactly the sam..

...oh god! I can't finish! smiley-laughing001
Date: November 08, 2018 08:19AM
larger version of above photo=> [gdb.voanews.com]

detail

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 08:21AM by Steve G..
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: November 08, 2018 08:54AM
I suspect this will be the moment they’ll try to hang their hat on if they pursue this absurd charade of a railroad job.

Date: November 08, 2018 09:13AM
See the doctoring?
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 08, 2018 09:20AM
p8712
See the doctoring?

More detailed analysis of the doctoring: [www.businessinsider.com]

Trumped up charge. A posse with a rope will stop by Acosta's house at midnight to assure that justice is done in Trump's Amerika.
Date: November 08, 2018 09:40AM
Okay, I did my pissing in the wind today. Mailed dead-tree, signed copies of above letter to ombudsmen (and/or -women) of ABC, CBS, NBC, and NPR.

On a hopeful note, I heard that the White House correspondent's Association is protesting the lifting of Acosta's credentials.

Will let you know if I hear anything.
Date: November 08, 2018 09:48AM
....Trump is such a baby.......a whiny baby.....

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 08, 2018 09:51AM
p8712
See the doctoring?

Well the good thing about a press conference is nobody will be recording anything.

Notice how brilliant, and I mean brilliant, the Trump administration is at controlling the media and the story all the damn time?? How long before they knocked yesterday's fantastic Rainbow Wave and Democratic domination of the House elections out of the headlines? It immediately went to Sessions, Mueller, Jim Acosta, etc.

Yes his contact with her was caused by the way she turned her body as she reached across his body to try and get the mic, he is clearly not initiating it. It's ridiculous to describe anything either of them did as aggressive.

In this video she doesn't even look mildly bothered by what happened. She's laughing a little bit, actually.

[www.theguardian.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 08, 2018 10:02AM
“I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon.”

[youtu.be]

And supposedly a woman was being assaulted right in front of him and he did nothing to assist her. Nor did Secret Service or anyone else in the room.
Date: November 08, 2018 10:56AM
Bannon would have ordered a SS agent to break the intern's arm to cover their asses.

Kelly doesn't have the balls, though.

Although, Kellyanne probably does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 10:56AM by Lux Interior.
Date: November 08, 2018 11:30AM
.....others are claiming that the video that the Huckster posted was 'doctored'......sped up to make it look worse than it was.......so what might have been a 'brush' looked like a 'hit'.....

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 08, 2018 11:34AM
NewtonMP2100
.....others are claiming that the video that the Huckster posted was 'doctored'......sped up to make it look worse than it was.......so what might have been a 'brush' looked like a 'hit'.....

It wasn't just sped up. It was completely doctored. Follow the links; they did a crappy job.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 08, 2018 11:58AM
Looks fine to me:

Date: November 09, 2018 08:34PM
Snopes has a pretty good write up on this.

An independent video expert who analyzed footage for the Associated Press said he believed the video shared by Sanders was purposefully manipulated:

A frame-by-frame comparison with an Associated Press video of the same incident shows that the one tweeted by Sanders appears to have been altered to speed up Acosta’s arm movement as he touches the intern’s arm, according to Abba Shapiro, an independent video producer who examined the footage at AP’s request.

Earlier, Shapiro noticed that frames in the tweeted video were frozen to slow down the action, allowing it to run the same length as the AP one.

The alteration is “too precise to be an accident,” said Shapiro, who trains instructors to use video editing software. The tweeted video also does not have any audio, which Shapiro said would make it easier to alter.

And, y’know, honestly, the Trumpkins don’t worry too much about puttting out a doctored video. They’re not appealing to the public at large anyway - they just need to give their base (like, umm, ill-bay, if you know who I mean) something to believe in (or pretend to believe, anyway).
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 10, 2018 05:23PM
swampy
Actually, the expression is "with impunity". You can look it up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018