advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I won, screw you... GA's Kemp doxxes all 241K absentee voters
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 08, 2018 08:27AM
[techcrunch.com]

"Georgia’s secretary of state and candidate for state governor in the midterm election, Brian Kemp, has taken the unusual, if not unprecedented step of posting the personal details of 291,164 absentee voters online for anyone to download.

Kemp’s office posted an Excel file on its website within hours of the results of the general election, exposing the names and addresses of state residents who mailed in an absentee ballot — including their reason why, such as if a person is “disabled” or “elderly.”"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I won, screw you... GA's Kemp doxxes all 241K absentee voters
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 08, 2018 08:32AM
What a nice guy.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 08, 2018 08:38AM
...and when Kris Kobach ran his illegal voting crusade in Kansas, of the dozen or so he found (in a state of 3 million), a majority were Republicans.

I think Kemp doesn’t realize he lives in a glass house here.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 08, 2018 08:41AM
I smell a class action suit…

=wr=
Posted by: billb
Date: November 08, 2018 09:12AM
On the same website the same voter lists are available going back to 2013.
Those must be Kemp's fault too.
Let's blame Trump too.
and the boogeyman in the closet.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 08, 2018 09:13AM
[talkingpointsmemo.com]

Republican gubernatorial candidate Brian Kemp says he is resigning as Georgia’s secretary of state.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 08, 2018 09:23AM
The article says the spreadsheet had been taken down but I just looked at the Georgia Sec of State's website and it's still there:

[sos.ga.gov]

Yes nothing like a little sunshine on a state's voting practices and Georgia has been getting plenty. In Washington (where all ballots are cast by mail) your ballot has a tear-off stub with numbers you use to look online to make sure it was received and accepted. Georgia needs some security upgrades and some voting rights protections, this is one of them.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 08, 2018 10:03AM
Lemon Drop
The article says the spreadsheet had been taken down but I just looked at the Georgia Sec of State's website and it's still there:

[sos.ga.gov]

Yes nothing like a little sunshine on a state's voting practices and Georgia has been getting plenty. In Washington (where all ballots are cast by mail) your ballot has a tear-off stub with numbers you use to look online to make sure it was received and accepted. Georgia needs some security upgrades and some voting rights protections, this is one of them.

Of course, things will go the other way with Republicans in charge, especially one who, as SoS, has expertise in voter suppression.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Pam
Date: November 08, 2018 10:17AM
If Va did that I'd be in line for a class action lawsuit. There's no need for tear off numbers in Va. I can go online, apply for my absentee ballot, see when it was sent, and see when the registrar received it. All that is needed on the outside of the envelope containing the ballot is my name, address, signature, and signature of a witness. This sealed ballot goes into another envelope for mailing.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 08, 2018 10:26AM
It's lazy. Post a spreadsheet, make everyone look themselves up. That's fine for in-house. It's incredibly amateur for a state government's public facing website. A government that was concerned about its citizens would have put it behind a database look-up, where you had to give two pieces of info to see the entry. Yeah, you could game it by entering info from a phonebook, but you'd have to do it one at a time.

Textbook Trumpian tactic: Technically legal, but still crappy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 10:29AM by Acer.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 08, 2018 10:38AM
This sounds like something barely computer literate 95 year old Ted Stevens might have done. "It's a series of tubes!"

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 08, 2018 10:49AM
'Brian Kemp’s lead over Stacey Abrams narrows amid voting complaints in Georgia governor’s race'

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Something stinks in Georgia.
Date: November 08, 2018 11:37AM
This is infuriating. I can't believe in 2018 we make people wait hours to vote, that's absurd.

Another problem was the limited number of voting machines in some locations. More than 1,800 machines sat idle in storage in three of the state’s largest and most heavily Democratic counties. In Fulton County, according to figures provided by elections director Rick Barron, the ratio of machines to registered voters was lower than it had been in 2014, despite predictions that turnout was likely to break records for a midterm election.

While some voters waited in hours-long lines in Fulton County, 700 of those machines sat in stacks in a warehouse in downtown Atlanta, Barron said. The machines were sidelined because they are evidence in a lawsuit alleging the equipment had been exposed to the threat of hacking in 2016.
Date: November 08, 2018 11:45AM
Pam
If Va did that I'd be in line for a class action lawsuit. There's no need for tear off numbers in Va. I can go online, apply for my absentee ballot, see when it was sent, and see when the registrar received it. All that is needed on the outside of the envelope containing the ballot is my name, address, signature, and signature of a witness. This sealed ballot goes into another envelope for mailing.

That's great Pam.
In Washington everybody votes by mail, you don't have to request a ballot. The ballots get mailed out 3 weeks before the election, to every registered voter. You can check the status of your ballot by entering your name, date of birth and house number at the state's website, just as you do in Virgina. You don't have to keep the tab but it provides good back up tracking if you can't confirm your ballot status online.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 08, 2018 11:51AM
Lemon Drop
This is infuriating. I can't believe in 2018 we make people wait hours to vote, that's absurd.

Well, as long as it's those people, if you know what I'm saying *wink wink nudge nudge*
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 08, 2018 03:37PM
Wisconsin's gubernatorial recall petition was put online and made searchable basically as retribution. its still up, i was able to find a couple of signatures of people I know - [iverifytherecall.com]

This happened back in 2011.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2018 03:38PM by mattkime.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 08, 2018 05:11PM
With the current DOJ, no way the Feds will step in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 210
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018