advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Texas Republicans are tough on crime
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 09, 2018 01:17AM
...except when they’re pouting:

Republican Judge Glenn Devlin let seven juvenile defendants go on Wednesday - including some charged with violent crimes, according to local media.

...when Judge Devlin took the bench on Wednesday, he asked the juvenile defendants before him: "If I release you, will you go out and murder anybody?"

"If the juvenile said 'no,' they were released," [said the public defender]..."Judge Devlin would never normally ask that question of a juvenile. This was unusual."

How unusual?

Last month, an investigation by the newspaper found that Judge Devlin and one other judge had sent to prison more than one fifth of all juveniles locked up last year.

So what accounts for the honerable judge’s change of heart?

Judge Devlin was one of 59 Republican jurists who lost their seats to Democrats on Tuesday, including all three juvenile court judges, the Chronicle reported.

Ah. Poor baby.

According to [the public defender] Judge Devlin commented [re his decision to release the possible violent offenders]: "That's what the voters wanted."

Nothing more spiteful than a wingnut scorned.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Texas Republicans are tough on crime
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 09, 2018 07:02AM
I saw that last night on the local news. Texans are a diff breed.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 09, 2018 08:18AM
As I understand it, this is because Houston voters were so energized about voting for Beto that they also voted D further down the ballot, sweeping out many of the serving judges.

Seems to me mostly an argument against electing judges, particularly with party affiliations attached. Might have made sense in an agrarian society where a county had one judge and two murders a year. Makes no sense at all for places like modern Chicago or Houston.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: November 09, 2018 08:22AM
Now THAT'S what the Law and Order Party is really all about. /sarc
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 09, 2018 09:48AM
Mr Downtown
As I understand it, this is because Houston voters were so energized about voting for Beto that they also voted D further down the ballot, sweeping out many of the serving judges.

Seems to me mostly an argument against electing judges, particularly with party affiliations attached. Might have made sense in an agrarian society where a county had one judge and two murders a year. Makes no sense at all for places like modern Chicago or Houston.

This comment is like interpretive dance, only without the music.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 09, 2018 12:23PM
What part do you find cryptic?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 09, 2018 12:30PM
The public and those kids are better off with them out free. Prisons turn children into monsters.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: timg
Date: November 09, 2018 03:58PM
Mr Downtown

I agree - judges should not be selected by party affiliation. Electing judges makes no sense to me - there are no judicial qualifications for getting yourself on the ballot which means you could elect someone who has no business sitting on the bench.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: max
Date: November 10, 2018 04:49PM
timg
Mr Downtown

I agree - judges should not be selected by party affiliation. Electing judges makes no sense to me - there are no judicial qualifications for getting yourself on the ballot which means you could elect someone who has no business sitting on the bench.

An ability by the electorate to throw a monkey wrench into a finely fixed machine, that is our industrial-judicial complex, is what makes it interesting....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 249
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018