advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Origin of "Drink the Kool Aid" - 40 years
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 18, 2018 10:23AM
I don't want this to be political, though there are now some political undertones to the saying "Drink the Kool Aid". Today it refers to blindly following a belief without a rational reason.

The saying origins trace back to November 18, 1978 - 40 years ago today. It was on that date that more then 900 people (including 300 children) drank from a vat of flavor aid laced with cyanide. They were part of the the Peoples Temple in the Guyanese jungle, and led by Jim Jones. Like many such endeavors, the participants hoped to find utopian lifestyle. Most joined the cult while it was in California, but as it became scrutinized, they moved to the compound in South America.

As reports of health issues and imprisonment filtered back to the US, family members urged the government to investigate. Congressman Leo Ryan and five journalists flew to the compound to see for themselves. As they prepared to leave, along with several defectors, gunman from the temple killed several at the airport. Simultaneously large vats of flavor aid laced with cyanide were brought out at the compound. Everyone was instructed to drink it in a ritualized suicide. Those who refused were forced, or injected with a fatal dose of the poison. Prior to 9/11, Jonestown was the largest civilian death act in American history.

From that horrendous act, the remaining association is the now flippant saying or insult of "Drink the Kool Aid."

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Origin of "Drink the Kool Aid" - 40 years
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 18, 2018 10:25AM
I remember watching the first report on the nightly news that day.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 18, 2018 10:39AM
IMO drank the koolaid jumped the shark a while ago.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 18, 2018 11:14AM
"Flavor Aid" should be in init caps. It was a a cheap Kool-Aid-type product.

Kraft has done a good job of pushing the narrative that it was only Flavor Aid used in Jonestown, but the phrase "Drinking the Kool-Aid" is not inappropriate on the basis of historical innacuracy.

Multiple accounts note that they stocked both and used both Flavor Aid and Kool-Aid in the final act. (Big batch. They probably just didn't have enough of either product alone.) Witnesses/survivors said that the drink was Kool-Aid, tho that may have been used generically.

I don't think that it's wrong to use the phrase simply because it's reminiscent of a tragedy. Language evolves quickly around big events. It's part of being human.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 11:15AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: November 18, 2018 11:32AM
No disrespect to the 900 poor souls, but Leo Ryan was my high school civic teacher and frankly he was a opinionated, pushy arrogant SOB. Had he stayed home and minded his own business this might not have happened either. While his intentions may or may not have been good, I always remember his delivery and way of doing things tended to always stir a immediate sense of rebellion and defiance.
I clearly remember when the story broke in the news commenting to my wife "well his big mouth finally caught up with him".
Just my 2¢ on the subject and I apologize to any who might take offense at my words but they come from someone how knew Leo Ryan.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 18, 2018 11:48AM
The Thought Control Police want you to Drink only their brand of KoolAid.
#resist

Com deus me deito com deus me levanto
Hey paz de deus eu tomo um drinque
Eu fico tonto
Hey paz de deus com deus me deito
Com deus me levanto
Hey paz de deus eu tomo um drinque eu fico tonto

Zoom
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 18, 2018 11:52AM
What a sad, shocking day that was.

For years I had thought the phrase was from a passage in The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test from 1968, referring to the spiked Kool-Aid available at some concerts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2018 11:53AM by lost in space.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 18, 2018 12:25PM
I knew someone who was stationed at Dover AFB when that happened, and he was detailed to be on morgue duty when all the bodies were flown in.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 18, 2018 12:34PM
“I always remember his delivery and way of doing things tended to always stir a immediate sense of rebellion and defiance.“

So a civics teacher stirred up arguments? Sort of the idea in many civics classrooms, especially those filled with somnolent students.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: November 18, 2018 12:38PM
Speedy
“I always remember his delivery and way of doing things tended to always stir a immediate sense of rebellion and defiance.“

So a civics teacher stirred up arguments? Sort of the idea in many civics classrooms, especially those filled with somnolent students.

Well he certainly stirred up an argument at Jonestown didn’t he?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 18, 2018 01:37PM
I knew someone who was stationed at Dover AFB when that happened, and he was detailed to be on morgue duty when all the bodies were flown in.

Similarly, a neighbor was a doctor TDY to Oakland.

No disrespect to the 900 poor souls, but

Well he certainly stirred up an argument at Jonestown didn’t he?

So much for 'no disrespect'.

Threads like this seldom end well or stay apolitical.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 18, 2018 04:42PM
I despise hearing people use that phrase. I still remember all that Jim Jones stuff quite well.

Grateful11
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 18, 2018 07:57PM
I despise hearing people use that phrase. I still remember all that Jim Jones stuff quite well.

As do I.

I used the phrase a few times and one day I heard a friend use it, after hearing me. It was a WTF moment, and the last time ever.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 19, 2018 03:23PM
I recall that as well. It was horrifying. The initial reports showed it as mass suicide. The details percolated out over time, and the fact that it was mass murder and suicide made it even more horrible.

Humans can be talked into doing ANYTHING.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 19, 2018 04:03PM

Survivors recalled "white night" events, sometimes weekly, where Jones would declare a crisis about the compound's safety.

Sometimes these involved mock mass-suicides where followers, including children, lined up and drank liquid they were told was laced with poison, only to be told it was a test of loyalty.

When Congressman Ryan visited with a delegation in November, he brought along concerned relatives of Temple members and journalists to document the trip.

After initial resistance, the group were permitted access and given tours which presented a largely pleasant depiction of everyday life.

Charles Krause, a Washington Post reporter on the trip, would recall: "Contrary to what the 'Concerned Relatives' had told us, nobody seemed to be starving... everyone seemed quite healthy."

The group stayed outside of the compound overnight and returned the next day. During their time there, the group were approached by at least a dozen followers asking to return to the US with them.

As the delegation waited for their returning flight, a cohort of Temple gunmen ambushed the group and opened fire, killing five people including Congressman Ryan.

Back at the compound, Jones simultaneously urged his more than 900 followers to take their own lives, warning that the Guyanese military would invade and take their children because of the airstrip shooting.

Vats of fruit punch laced with cyanide were mixed and distributed around, as in the rehearsals.

"Jim Jones was a con artist - he made everyone feel he was their father," Laura says of the leader.

"He would say to them: 'you can't go back, you have no money', which was true. They had put it all in the church."
[www.bbc.com]
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 19, 2018 05:14PM
I have the miniseries on DVD I recorded. Chilling but a good production
Posted by: rexs
Date: November 20, 2018 02:49AM
During the 80`s I lived in San Francisco when The Chronicle blasted a story about some of the people around Jim Jones along with their pictures. One of them was Larry Layton , a guy I had been jogging with in the mornings. He was really quiet. The the I most remember about him was his eyes. It seemed as if there was no life there.

Larry Layton
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 285
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018