advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
An "interesting" embrace of the phrase "I am a white nationalist"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 05, 2018 04:40PM
[talkingpointsmemo.com]

A tea party activist who helped the Texas Republican Party draft its 2018 platform proudly declared himself a “WHITE NATIONALIST” last week.

“Damn Right, I’m a WHITE NATIONALIST and very Proud of it,” Ray Meyers wrote on Facebook last Tuesday, in response to someone else’s post that accused President Donald Trump of being a white nationalist.

The Texas Observer, which reported on the Facebook post Tuesday, noted Meyers’ connections in the Republican Party: He is the founder and chairman of the Kaufman County Tea Party, was on the Ted Cruz presidential campaign’s “Texas Leadership Team” and served as a delegate for Cruz at the Republican National Convention in 2016.

In a phone call Friday, Meyers told the Observer that identifying himself as a white nationalist “doesn’t have anything to do with race.”

“I am Anglo and I’m very proud of it, just like black people and brown people are proud of their race. I am a patriot. I am very proud of my country,” he said. “And white nationalist, all that means is America first. That’s exactly what that means. That’s where the president’s at. That’s where I’m at and that’s where every solid patriotic American is. It doesn’t have anything to do with race or anything else.”

The "white" is there because he is proud of his race and the "nationalist" is there because he believes in nation first, so I guess it's just a coincidence that he likes using them together and using them together has nothing to do with race.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: An "interesting" embrace of the phrase "I am a white nationalist"
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 05, 2018 04:54PM
facepalm
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 05, 2018 05:17PM
Stupid racist.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Pam
Date: December 05, 2018 05:20PM
If it walks like a duck...
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 05, 2018 05:45PM
Are we changing the meaning of words now? That could get confusing. Get out your Webster’s. Or maybe a new Republican lexicon for the ages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 05:47PM by samintx.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 05, 2018 06:11PM
Texas textbooks.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 05, 2018 07:16PM
The weird/sad/telling thing is that nutjobs like this (or, say, the "ape in heels" lady) absolutely can't see anything wrong with that.

Racist? Me, racist? I'm just pro-white people (uber alles).
Posted by: billb
Date: December 05, 2018 07:54PM
context only when it is convenient

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: timg
Date: December 06, 2018 12:42AM
Yes, I'm sure anything posted on a website called "talkingpointsmemo" will be completely unbiased.

The person is obvious ignorant of the "white nationalist" usage these days, but I see nothing wrong with his sentiment to be a proud american and white. He just didn't express it in a politically correct way.

Or is the point that all white people are inherently racist?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 06, 2018 03:22AM
timg
Yes, I'm sure anything posted on a website called "talkingpointsmemo" will be completely unbiased.

The person is obvious ignorant of the "white nationalist" usage these days, but I see nothing wrong with his sentiment to be a proud american and white. He just didn't express it in a politically correct way.

Here's an article on this from the Dallas Morning News.
[www.dallasnews.com]

The gentleman from Texas first made this comment during an interview with a right wing website, Real Clear Politics. He was asked about Trump's association with white supremacists, and his response was that he himself is a "damn" proud white nationalist.

It's unclear if he is aware of the meaning of nationalist but it would be tough to be his age and active in politics and not know what "white nationalist" refers to. He should have learned about that in high school history class. Or just from being alive since the 1940s.

Later he tried to walk it back by changing to patriotic instead of nationalist, those two terms are not synonymous. Maybe somebody clued him in.

The Texas GOP has a platform based on racial hatred and bias, as outlined in the article. The party has recently been busy trying to kick out a Muslim member. So if that is what he means by being proud to be white, then yeah, there's a big problem with that. This guy claims to have "friends who are black" but you know, words don't cook rice. Look at the laws this guy supports.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 06, 2018 03:23PM
timg

I don't see how one would come to a conclusion that he is obviously ignorant of the common social meaning of the term "white nationalist" based on what was presented. That doesn't seem obvious to me at all. It is possible, though, granted, but I didn't say anything to imply that he was aware of the common social meaning. Here's what I said:

The "white" is there because he is proud of his race and the "nationalist" is there because he believes in nation first, so I guess it's just a coincidence that he likes using them together and using them together has nothing to do with race.

No implication there that he does or doesn't know the common meaning of the phrase. It doesn't matter to my point. My point is that his take on the meaning of the phrase "I am a white nationalist" is disingenuous.

I am 6 feet tall and I was a teacher and very proud to have been one. But when I talk about being a teacher I don't ever say that "I was a 6 foot tall teacher". It would be a silly thing to say because being a teacher - and proud of it - has nothing to do with being 6 feet tall. Likewise, there is no reason to associate being a nationalist with being white - unless those two are closely related to each other in someone's mind.

The gentleman in question said, "It doesn’t have anything to do with race or anything else.” So he is claiming that race does not closely relate to nationalism which means that he is just making a silly linking of being white with being a nationalist - the same as it would be silly for me to go about linking being 6 feet tall with being a teacher.

My guess is that he was trying to be clever about coming up with an argument in support of Trump having said that he is proud to be a nationalist. But even Trump is smart enough (I think) to not embrace the phrase "white nationalist" - for obvious reasons. I also think it is likely that this guy is a very sloppy thinker. He says, “And white nationalist, all that means is America first." WTF. The term "nationalist" means "America first", the word "white" is completely superfluous (except for those who think there is a close relationship between "white" and "nationalist"). It's just lame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2018 09:20PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 06, 2018 03:31PM
It’s getting really bad when bigots try to justify the term ‘white nationalist’.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 07, 2018 01:52PM
timg

Not all white people.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 07, 2018 02:01PM
Dennis S
timg

Not all white people.

Yes, lots of exceptions although none voted for Pres. Trump.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018