advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What is the difference between fundamentalist and evangelical Christians?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 30, 2018 03:48PM
? I just realized that I have been pretty much thinking of the two as interchangeable but are there doctrinal differences among people who identify as one or the other? Can a person logically consistently be a fundamentalist and an evangelical? If they are different, are there identifiable differences in their general approaches to social issues?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 03:48PM by Ted King.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What is the difference between fundamentalist and evangelical Christians?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 30, 2018 04:00PM
The two are not exclusive and both are obnoxious arrogant takes on religion. Both aggressively assume that they have the one and only legitimate take on the bible and Jesus and redemption and they follow this to the exclusion of all reason and science.

Fundamentalists often try to engineer the end of days and that's one reason why they promote Israel.

Evangelicals add the conversion of non-Christians to their faith as a moral imperative.

There's obviously a whole range of people adhering to both doctrines. Some are normal. Some are a-holes. Some are anathema to all good things on earth.

In another age, the extremes of both would just be a peripheral annoyance to the good people of this country, but these days they're basically running the Republican party and they're very dangerous.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 04:06PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 30, 2018 04:45PM
Fundies are @#$%&hats. Evangelicals are FLAMING @#$%&hats.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 30, 2018 04:55PM
cbelt3
Fundies are @#$%&hats. Evangelicals are FLAMING @#$%&hats.

And then there are fundamentalist evangelicals that are off the scale entirely.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 30, 2018 05:06PM
Okaaaaaay then. Let me present a viewpoint from the inside looking out. I'm giving my personal description here. Wikipedia may disagree.

"Evangelical" in the classical sense means to focus on bringing the good news of Jesus Christ to those who are not saved. This is in contrast to "not-so-evangelical" denominations where it's more of an open door policy as opposed to a go-get-em policy. It comes out of the revivals of the late 1800s in response to the ossification in the American mainline protestant movement in the centuries after the Reformation. It is not at its heart a politically-oriented movement. Well, outside of Temperance, perhaps.

"Fundamentalist" is socially and theologically conservative, with an emphasis on righteous living and (protestant) orthodoxy. Some old-school "fundamentalist" denominations in this sense actually eschew politics, like the Amish or many Mennonites. I see modern fundamentalism as a reaction to social liberalism of the 1960s. In the current lexicon, it has come to refer to those who actually embrace political activity.

Now, I know in the modern era all this has become blurred, but that's where the two started.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 05:09PM by Acer.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 30, 2018 05:22PM
Thanks for that Acer
Posted by: max
Date: December 30, 2018 05:50PM
Acer
"Evangelical" in the classical sense means to focus on bringing the good news of Jesus Christ to those who are not saved.

Primary target being the "non Christian" Christians (ie, every other cult, but theirs), not pagans, Moslems, Buddhists, Zoroastrians etc....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 30, 2018 07:10PM
Evangelicals never wear Fundies.

Date: December 30, 2018 10:04PM
Acer
Okaaaaaay then. Let me present a viewpoint from the inside looking out. I'm giving my personal description here. Wikipedia may disagree.

"Evangelical" in the classical sense means to focus on bringing the good news of Jesus Christ to those who are not saved. This is in contrast to "not-so-evangelical" denominations where it's more of an open door policy as opposed to a go-get-em policy. It comes out of the revivals of the late 1800s in response to the ossification in the American mainline protestant movement in the centuries after the Reformation. It is not at its heart a politically-oriented movement. Well, outside of Temperance, perhaps.

"Fundamentalist" is socially and theologically conservative, with an emphasis on righteous living and (protestant) orthodoxy. Some old-school "fundamentalist" denominations in this sense actually eschew politics, like the Amish or many Mennonites. I see modern fundamentalism as a reaction to social liberalism of the 1960s. In the current lexicon, it has come to refer to those who actually embrace political activity.

Now, I know in the modern era all this has become blurred, but that's where the two started.

Thanks for the history background. It's interesting to see how the meaning of the two terms as widely used evolved through time. Since you mentioned Wikipedia I thought I'd give a look and that led me to this academic paper in the Reference section of the article on Evangelicalism (pages 3-6):

[books.google.com]

It sounds pretty much like your account of the evolution of meaning of the terms.

But since the meaning of words now depends on how people use the words now, I'm curious about that "blurriness" your refer to in contemporary use. I was thinking one way to "put my finger in the air" to try to get a feel for contemporary meaning was to ask here. :-)
Date: December 30, 2018 10:04PM
Lux Interior
Evangelicals never wear Fundies.

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 30, 2018 10:07PM
Both groups vote similarly on many issues. They make themselves blurred, having allowed themselves to be co-opted politically.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 30, 2018 10:46PM
The Evangelical term covers most monotheistic Christians that generally hope to convert all non-believers.

Fundamentalists can tend more toward the Cristiano-fascist version that want women barefoot, and pregnant as soon as they are fertile.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 31, 2018 10:47AM
From GOP For Dummies:
Evangelicals get elected to the Senate.
Fundamentalists to the House
Narcissists to the White House

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 31, 2018 02:41PM
Filliam H. Muffman
The Evangelical term covers most monotheistic Christians that generally hope to convert all non-believers.
I do not understand if you are saying it covers "most monotheistic Christians" whom in your opinion all try to convert non-believers, or if you are saying that they are monotheistic Christians and "generally hope to convert all non-believers". Because Catholics, Episcopals, Quakers, many Methodists, and others are so not Evangelical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2018 02:42PM by $tevie.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 31, 2018 02:45PM
Fundamentalism means you believe that everything in your church is true: the Bible is true, your dogma is true, it's all true. There are fundamentalists in religions besides Christian.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 31, 2018 04:30PM
$tevie
Filliam H. Muffman
I do not understand if you are saying it covers "most monotheistic Christians" whom in your opinion all try to convert non-believers, or if you are saying that they are monotheistic Christians and "generally hope to convert all non-believers". Because Catholics, Episcopals, Quakers, many Methodists, and others are so not Evangelical.

Sounds like you haven't run into evangelical Catholics. I have, they definitely exist within the church and in some locations are more than tolerated.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 01, 2019 01:54AM
$tevie
Filliam H. Muffman

I read this as: The Evangelical term covers most monotheistic Christians that generally [happen to want to] convert all non-believers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 310
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018