advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Will the Utah Senators save us in 2019?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 02, 2019 11:37AM
Welcome back Sen. Romney!

Bit unusual to begin your tenure as the new Republican senator from Utah by attacking your party's leader, the current president. 45 is quite unpopular in Utah so it's not exactly politically risky. The other Senator from the state, Mike Lee, is the original "Never Trump" guy.

Opening salvo in a primary challenge for 2020?
The new Jeff Flake? (ugh)
The new John McCain? (that'd be great, not sure if Romney has the stuff)
Calling out other GOP Senators to take a stand and get ready to force DT to resign?
Just want to be the new "adult in the room?"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will the Utah Senators save us in 2019?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 02, 2019 11:51AM
Utah is still over 60% LDS, and the Church still 'owns' their politicians.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 02, 2019 12:02PM
Wind? How many fingers?

Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 02, 2019 12:07PM
Neither Utah Senator is exactly moderate, so it doesn’t matter what he says about Trump. People “love” to complain one way but vote another.
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 02, 2019 12:15PM
Romney may look like a hero to his constituents when Mueller is done.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 02, 2019 01:31PM
deckeda
Neither Utah Senator is exactly moderate, so it doesn’t matter what he says about Trump. People “love” to complain one way but vote another.

Examples include McCain, Flake, Corker. All gone and yet, it won’t matter.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 02, 2019 02:20PM
deckeda
deckeda

Those examples couldn't win a challenge from the right in a primary - this is different. These guys have the support of their constituency and indeed - once Trump is gone, a grown-up has to be the new leader of the party. LOTS of people are trying to play that role while at the same time are trying to not piss off Trump. This is a great paly by Romney imo.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 02, 2019 02:34PM
Jeff Flake with more expensive suits. Romney is done as a national candidate.

Date: January 02, 2019 02:42PM
hal
deckeda
deckeda

Those examples couldn't win a challenge from the right in a primary - this is different. These guys have the support of their constituency and indeed - once Trump is gone, a grown-up has to be the new leader of the party. LOTS of people are trying to play that role while at the same time are trying to not piss off Trump. This is a great paly by Romney imo.

I agree, excellent leadership move by Romney. He does have a very good chance of emerging as the leader of his party when the carnage ends, however it ends. He's also signaling to other Republicans that they don't just have to sit and take what Trump does. There will be cover.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 02, 2019 02:52PM
Good for you, Romney.
Date: January 02, 2019 03:04PM
"But Mr. Trump’s loyalists responded even more ferociously, and out in front was Ronna McDaniel, the chairwoman of the Republican National Committee who is also Mr. Romney’s niece. She often went by her maiden name, Romney, until Mr. Trump suggested she change it."

Wow.
But they clearly see the threat:

"In an email obtained by CBS News, Jevon O.A. Williams, the national committeeman for the Virgin Islands, urged fellow elected RNC members Tuesday night to push for an "unprecedented" rule change in the wake of the Romney op-ed's "calculated political treachery." Williams wants to close "loopholes" in the nomination in a way that would make it tougher for even token challengers to Mr. Trump to enter the fray."
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 02, 2019 03:32PM
Romney's op-ed was a pretty powerful rebuke, and also a ringing endorsement of Mormonism as a model for good governance.

He left queer and trans folk out of his calls for equality, and centers churches and family - two code words for Traditional [culturally] White Christian Heterosexual Cisgender Christianity.

Don't be confused into thinking that he's become a better person since he ran in 2012 just because now he's pointing at an ogre, folks.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 02, 2019 05:27PM
It would not be unpresidented for Romney to be the party nominee again -- Reagan was a candidate in 68 and 76 before being elected in 80. Then there was Nixon losing in 60 and then winning in 68.

So never say never.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 02, 2019 05:44PM
Ombligo
It would not be unpresidented for Romney to be the party nominee again -- Reagan was a candidate in 68 and 76 before being elected in 80. Then there was Nixon losing in 60 and then winning in 68.

So never say never.

Yep, anything can happen.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 02, 2019 06:42PM
rjmacs
Don't be confused into thinking that he's become a better person since he ran in 2012 just because now he's pointing at an ogre, folks.

Romney's got no integrity.

This is nothing more than a shark who smells blood.

Might be interesting to speculate about the trigger. Maybe a few unions have promised him backing if he moves in the right direction. Maybe charges against high ups in the administration are pending.

Posted by: bfd
Date: January 02, 2019 06:47PM
Romney is as scary as ever unless you're "a member in good-standing of the church", of course.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 02, 2019 09:25PM
'The Emperor Has No Clothes' - Romney

I will believe it when he actually stands up to 45.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 02, 2019 10:39PM
Lemon Drop
hal
deckeda
deckeda

I agree, excellent leadership move by Romney. He does have a very good chance of emerging as the leader of his party when the carnage ends, however it ends. He's also signaling to other Republicans that they don't just have to sit and take what Trump does. There will be cover.

I think "when the carnage ends" is an assumption, or maybe a gamble, that Romney is making-taking. If he was fairly well convinced that Trump would maintain very high approval ratings with Republican voters, I don't think he would be saying these kinds of things - at least not so overtly.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 02, 2019 11:27PM
Romney knows things aren't going to end well for Trump. He's getting on the winning side now, so as to look both prescient and presidential.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 03, 2019 01:15AM
You mean this guy is going to start to do things only for the good of the country (and maybe occasionally for the party)?

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: January 03, 2019 03:33AM
Filliam H. Muffman
You mean this guy is going to start to do things only for the good of the country (and maybe occasionally for the party)?

We're not trusting him. What Romney brings to the table is a measure of respect, protocol and reverence for the non-partisan aspect of the core institutions that belongs to all the people. That's about it. The bar has been lowered my friend.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 03, 2019 07:29AM
The bar has been buried.

Trump still trips over the mound of Earth above it.
Date: January 03, 2019 09:12AM
Democrats have been slamming GOP leaders for not standing up to Trump or publicly stating that he's not fit for office. Very few of them have. Those few who have are either dead or out of office. Somebody in office finally did.

Noticing that doesn't mean you're a political fan of that person. I am certainly not a fan of Romney and don't want him as President, wouldn't want him as my state's Senator, but he's doing the thing that Democrats have been clamoring for these past few years. It took guts. Whether anyone follows him, or it changes anything, remains to be seen but somebody had to start.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 03, 2019 09:47AM
Maybe he will displace Sen. Graham on the Sunday TV interview shows. That would be worth a lot.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 03, 2019 01:48PM
Speedy
Maybe he will displace Sen. Graham on the Sunday TV interview shows. That would be worth a lot.

Not unless those shows are taped on Saturday. He'll never do a Sunday interview unless he's POTUS … just like BYU will never play a game on Sunday, either.
Date: January 03, 2019 10:11PM
Thanks for the clarification of my post! smiley-signs001

bfd
Speedy

Not unless those shows are taped on Saturday. He'll never do a Sunday interview unless he's POTUS … just like BYU will never play a game on Sunday, either.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 03, 2019 11:00PM
Basically, all Romney said was, I like what Trump does I just hate the way he does it. It wasn't really worth all the press it got.

Date: January 03, 2019 11:30PM
$tevie
Basically, all Romney said was, I like what Trump does I just hate the way he does it. It wasn't really worth all the press it got.

Yep, another Flake. Sen. Romney will fall in line with all his votes.

Date: January 03, 2019 11:49PM
Speedy
$tevie

Me and my prayer beads say otherwise! I'm takin' 'em all down.

Also, when I don't feel like saying his whole name, I just say Mitney.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2019 11:57PM by vision63.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 04, 2019 01:20AM
vision63
Speedy
$tevie

Just call him Mittens. That is what many here in the state he was Governor called him.

As for how he will vote, I fully expect him to fall well short of his rhetoric. That is how he was as Governor, and everything he has done since has been a continuation of that pattern.

An example is health coverage in MA passed in 2006, sometimes called Romneycare since the passing of the ACA in connection with that being called Obamacare. He was involved in determining provisions of the legislation that was passed, did sign it, but also vetoed 8 sections that he had agreed to. The MA legislature had finally had enough of him, 6 of those sections had their vetoes overridden immediately, and the other 2 a month later.
Date: January 04, 2019 01:24AM
JoeH
vision63
Speedy
$tevie

Just call him Mittens. That is what many here in the state he was Governor called him.

As for how he will vote, I fully expect him to fall well short of his rhetoric. That is how he was as Governor, and everything he has done since has been a continuation of that pattern.

An example is health coverage in MA passed in 2006, sometimes called Romneycare since the passing of the ACA in connection with that being called Obamacare. He was involved in determining provisions of the legislation that was passed, did sign it, but also vetoed 8 sections that he had agreed to. The MA legislature had finally had enough of him, 6 of those sections had their vetoes overridden immediately, and the other 2 a month later.

What excuse did he have to go back on those provisions that he already agreed to support?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 04, 2019 02:46AM
vision63
JoeH
vision63
Speedy
$tevie

What excuse did he have to go back on those provisions that he already agreed to support?

I don't recall the details, something about they went too far. But it might have had something to do with his plan to run for President in 2008 and having already decided to not run for reelection as Governor in 2006. He was an one term Governor.
Date: January 04, 2019 04:00AM
JoeH
vision63
JoeH
vision63
Speedy
$tevie

I don't recall the details, something about they went too far. But it might have had something to do with his plan to run for President in 2008 and having already decided to not run for reelection as Governor in 2006. He was an one term Governor.

He should have ran on Romneycare instead of the Winter Olympics.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 04, 2019 09:17AM
"Congressional Furrowed Brow Caucus — that group of Republicans who grab headlines by wearing pained facial expressions and issuing strongly worded statements that they’re “very concerned” about Trump’s outrageous actions, but who refuse to take any real action to rein in the administration." Credit: [shareblue.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2019 09:19AM by Acer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018