advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Kelly Anne : Sarah just made an "unfortunate misstatement"
Posted by: beagledave
Date: January 08, 2019 02:46PM
[thehill.com]

Conway on Monday acknowledged that most of the nearly 4,000 terrorists apprehended in fiscal 2017 were found at airports, citing a report from the Department of Homeland Security.

"It got unfortunately conflated by a colleague," she said.

The word is "lied", you venomous cretin.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kelly Anne : Sarah just made an "unfortunate misstatement"
Posted by: davester
Date: January 08, 2019 02:49PM
Sarah making an unfortunate misstatement is a dog bites man story, i.e. of no interest whatsoever. Call us back when Sarah tells the truth. That would be a newsworthy event.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 08, 2019 03:40PM
Reminds me of the "yellow cake/marshmallow cake" confusion that led to the Iraq invasion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2019 03:40PM by Acer.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 08, 2019 03:55PM
I so love the euphemisms.

conflation.
misstatements
etc..

Lies. Damn Lies.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 08, 2019 04:03PM
Sarah said, "nearly 4,000 known or suspected terrorists come into our country illegally, and we know that our most vulnerable point of entry is at our southern border."

two different statements - she didn't associate the two, but if feels that way... a great way to lie without lying.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 08, 2019 04:04PM

meth takes a terrible toll
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 08, 2019 04:15PM
All Trump spokespeople have been making the case using the same arguments and numbers. BS on misstating. They knew exactly what they were going to say before they said it.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 08, 2019 04:39PM
hal
Sarah said, "nearly 4,000 known or suspected terrorists come into our country illegally, and we know that our most vulnerable point of entry is at our southern border."

two different statements - she didn't associate the two, but if feels that way... a great way to lie without lying.

Actually, once she acknowledged that the 4,000 mostly came in at airports, then she proved that her second statement (that the most vulnerable POE is at our southern border) was a lie.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 08, 2019 04:47PM
beagledave
[thehill.com]

Conway on Monday acknowledged that most of the nearly 4,000 terrorists apprehended in fiscal 2017 were found at airports, citing a report from the Department of Homeland Security.

"It got unfortunately conflated by a colleague," she said.

Conway's statement is also misleading.

According to Justice Department public records and two former counterterrorism officials, no immigrant has been arrested at the southwest border on terrorism charges in recent years.
[www.nbcnews.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 08, 2019 04:48PM
Reminds me of how once got out of a speeding ticket.

My statement --
"Sorry sir..

The factual breadown --
My Father had a heart attack: He had had a heart attack, three years earlier
AND - the key phrase
I am on my way home: I was driving to my home (not the one my father lived at though)

Each statement was true, I never connected them into a single act. The state trooper assumed they were and sent me on my way.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: max
Date: January 08, 2019 05:16PM
beagledave

Your flaming misogyny is showing.
Are you threatened by strong and competent women, beagledave?

Lied or not, she is not a cretin, in fact, she is very good at her job.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 08, 2019 05:22PM
Steve G.

meth takes a terrible toll

Posted by: pdq
Date: January 08, 2019 05:47PM
Acer
Reminds me of the "yellow cake/marshmallow cake" confusion that led to the Iraq invasion.

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 08, 2019 06:04PM
The tragedy of Kelly Anne Conway is that she is NOT a cretin. She's a very bright individual who chose to sell her soul, which is sad.

Posted by: beagledave
Date: January 08, 2019 06:51PM
$tevie
The tragedy of Kelly Anne Conway is that she is NOT a cretin. She's a very bright individual who chose to sell her soul, which is sad.

At least she's got the 7th grade insult game working for her...

[twitter.com]
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 08, 2019 07:03PM
beagledave
$tevie

At least she's got the 7th grade insult game working for her...

[twitter.com]

I truly don't get her. Her husband sticks it to Trump all the time. I guess they are the new James Carville/Mary Matalan. (no offense to Mary Matalan)
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 08, 2019 07:49PM
cbelt3
I so love the euphemisms.

conflation.
misstatements
etc..

Lies. Damn Lies.

Add "impression" to the list.

[www.pbs.org]

Pence tries to explain a lie that really has no wiggle room.

Vice President Mike Pence says President Donald Trump’s recent claim that his predecessors endorsed his idea of a U.S.-Mexico border wall was an “impression.”
“I know the president has said that was his impression from previous presidents.”

Trump said Friday that some previous presidents “have told me that we should have done it.”

The four living ex-presidents do not back Trump up on that claim. Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush said they had not discussed the wall with Trump. Barack Obama’s office reiterated his opposition to the wall.

Pence told NBC’s “Today” show on Tuesday, “I know the president has said that was his impression from previous presidents.”
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 08, 2019 08:29PM
"she is very good at her job....."

She's a professional liar. That makes it OK.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 08, 2019 08:46PM
btfc

She's a political mercenary. She is a highly effective manipulator for whoever employs her. She is what she is and represents another reason why we must remain on task collectively. Even people ribbing her on her looks is evidence that she's winning If that's all ya got.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 08, 2019 09:40PM
vision63
btfc

She's a political mercenary. She is a highly effective manipulator for whoever employs her. She is what she is and represents another reason why we must remain on task collectively. Even people ribbing her on her looks is evidence that she's winning If that's all ya got.

AAAAAA-men - honestly, I thought we were past this, 'yeah, but she looks like a drug addict' stuff.

She took an absolute loser of a candidate and took him over the finish line. In hockey, it's common to talk about an opposing player that you hate, that is a goon, that does everything the wrong way, but secretly, you wish he was on your team because he is effective. I wish she was on my team in 2016!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 08, 2019 09:54PM
hal
I wish she was on my team in 2016!

Not me, I have a modicum of principles.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 08, 2019 10:02PM
"She took an absolute loser of a candidate and took him over the finish line."

She took an insane, incompetent, mobbed-up, treasonous @#$%& and stuck the United States and the Free World with him.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 09, 2019 12:21AM
[www.nytimes.com]

THE FACTS: If they're driving in through border crossings, no wall would stop them. But as to his broader point, U.S. officials have not cited evidence of a terrorist influx from Mexico.

State Department reports on terrorism have expressed more concern about Canada, which unlike Mexico has been home to "violent extremists inspired by terrorist groups such as ISIS and al-Qaida and their affiliates and adherents," as it said in 2017. When it comes to land crossings, Canada has more often been the source of terrorism suspects entering the U.S., though not in great numbers. By far the majority of people who arouse concern try to enter by air.

The libertarian CATO Institute said that from 1975 through 2017, seven people who entered the U.S. illegally from "special interest" countries — states tied at least loosely to terrorism — were convicted of planning attacks on U.S. soil. None crossed from Mexico. They came from Canada or jumped ship in U.S. ports, and all before special interest countries were classified as such. The plots were foiled and no one was hurt.

The only known terrorists who crossed illegally from Mexico in those decades were three ethnic Albanians from Macedonia who came as children with their parents in 1984 and, in their 20s, were arrested in the foiled plot to attack the Fort Dix, New Jersey, Army base in 2007, the CATO study found. They were not from a special-interest country.

SARAH HUCKABEE SANDERS, White House press secretary: "We know that roughly, nearly 4,000 known or suspected terrorists come into our country illegally, and we know that our most vulnerable point of entry is at our southern border." — "Fox News Sunday."

THE FACTS: Her implication that Mexico was the primary staging ground of these suspects is wrong.

As she acknowledged when challenged, those people were coming "a number of ways ... by air, by land and by sea." And, mainly not from Mexico.

Trump and several of his officials have misrepresented federal statistics on foreigners who were stopped globally by Customs and Border Protection because they were on a watch list. They have suggested or plainly stated that they were stopped coming from Mexico.

In January 2018, a joint report by the Homeland Security and Justice departments stated that Homeland Security had 2,554 "encounters" worldwide with people on a watch list who were trying to travel to the U.S. Of them, 2,170 were trying to come by air, with 335 by land and the rest by sea. Nothing ties them specifically to Mexico.

Months later, without new totals being released, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said her department was blocking an average of 10 "known or suspected terrorists a day from traveling to or attempting to enter the United States." That was up from seven a day in the initial figures.

The watch list is an initial trip-wire identifying people who, rightly or wrongly, raise some concern. The standard for placing someone on the list is reasonable suspicion, a lower bar than the probable cause needed to arrest someone for an alleged crime. They must be affiliated with a country identified in some way with terrorism, and there has to be enough identifying information — so if someone named Joe Smith is involved, not every Joe Smith is stopped.

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 302
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018