advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Trump Has Defeated Himself"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 08, 2019 10:30PM
The president, trapped without a decent exit in a predicament of his own making, will yield everything and get nothing.

Well, that was the shortest, most easily resolved national emergency in U.S. history. Twelve hours ago, the president was preparing to set aside the regular process of law. By 9 p.m. eastern time? Not so much.

Perhaps somebody pointed out that 15-year civil-engineering projects do not look very convincingly like emergency measures. “My house is burning! Time to begin the process of calling for design proposals for a new fire station.”

“Leverage: don’t make deals without it.” The words appeared under Donald Trump’s byline on page 55 of the 1987 best seller The Art of the Deal. Trump did not write them, and he seems not to have understood how to apply them. In this budget shutdown, Trump discarded his leverage from the very start, by declaring for the cameras that the budget shutdown was his decision, his responsibility. When the shutdown began to hurt, Trump and his surrogates hastily tried to transfer the onus—but it was too late. Everybody knew that it was Trump’s doing, and that it was done for reasons rejected by large majorities of Americans.

The idea of invoking “emergency powers” was a last grasp for the leverage Trump had already abdicated, and it had to be abandoned for fear of what the courts and public opinion would say.
[www.theatlantic.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Trump Has Defeated Himself"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 08, 2019 10:44PM
Nicely written but I'm not convinced that because Trump didn't specifically talk about the possibility of invoking emergency powers that he won't do so in the near future. I'm not sure Double-Down Don can pass up on that double-down gambit. It seems likely that he feels he needs to give his base something to assuage them and invoking emergency powers may be the only viable action they will accept if he can't get Congressional Democrats to cave. There's a lot of temptation for Trump there, I think.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 08, 2019 11:11PM
Wondering if everyone stopped talking about the wall, he’d let it go. And then later, long after it was conclusively and decidedly shown to have been a ruse, when asked about it he’d say, “oh I don’t talk about it anymore.”

After all, that was his response when asked about Obama’s birth certificate last.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 09, 2019 09:53AM
I think the primary purpose of the speech was to direct his fans to the Trump 2020 website so he could gather their email addresses and pick up some cash. He's never done an Oval Office address, why now? I think his followers will buy the "I wanted the wall and you wanted the wall but Dems won't let us" thing so it's time to try and defeat them again.

Last campaign he and his kids kept about 20% of the cash haul. They will have perfected that this time around, so it's past time to get started! They keep the money win or lose.

Send your donation today! Make Trump and his kids richer again!

As for convincing the public and Congress to build his wall with that speech?? I don't think that was even the point.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 09, 2019 09:58AM
One problem with the National Emergency plan is that it requires that the executive become a tyrant, and on the border that includes taking people's land. It's hard to stab deeper into the heart of America's anti-government constituency (at the center of the president's base) than by condemning and seizing private property for government use.

Many border towns and private landholders have publicly decried the idea of a wall in their country, favoring improved technology and border safety to a hardened barrier. He risks pitting rural Americans skeptical of big government against racist xenophobic Americans bent on a border wall, and it's not clear he can lose either group. Oopsie-poopsie?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 09, 2019 10:10AM
I agree with this NY TImes writer, it had no goal but returning attention to Trump. None of his ideas are serious initiatives and he knows it and doesn't care: He knows when he says something inflammatory like "national emergency" it will direct media eyes to him. And the networks mostly just played along.

So what did all this accomplish? Well, it got Mr. Trump on TV, his true home. After a run of headlines for the new Democratic House, it gained him two days of newscasts about him, him, him. Cable reporters gave hourly updates on whether the president might declare a national emergency. He became the protagonist again, the home audience hanging on for the dramatic reveal.
Date: January 09, 2019 11:35AM
Attention-seeking as the motive was brought up on Maddow’s show last night. First the camera coverage of a cabinet meeting, then an oval office address. “Stop looking at the Democrats in Congress! Look at me! Look at me!”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 01:44PM by $tevie.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 09, 2019 12:24PM
Lemon Drop
I agree with this NY TImes writer, it had no goal but returning attention to Trump. None of his ideas are serious initiatives and he knows it and doesn't care: He knows when he says something inflammatory like "national emergency" it will direct media eyes to him. And the networks mostly just played along.

So what did all this accomplish? Well, it got Mr. Trump on TV, his true home. After a run of headlines for the new Democratic House, it gained him two days of newscasts about him, him, him. Cable reporters gave hourly updates on whether the president might declare a national emergency. He became the protagonist again, the home audience hanging on for the dramatic reveal.

Yeah. A way to implant the impression that he tried his best for when he eventually caves. He's probably just recognizing how much welfare and food stamps his people receive and the idiot shut everything down at tax time. When you look back at him in the 90's he was not this dumb.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 09, 2019 01:38PM
Hah! I misread "defeated" as "defecated." Kinda works though.

Date: January 09, 2019 01:43PM
. Whoops. Need more coffee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 01:44PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 09, 2019 01:52PM
Just a little historical note - one year ago today Trump met with Congressional leaders and had these things to say (you only need to see the first minute):

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 09, 2019 02:15PM
vision63
He's probably just recognizing how much welfare and food stamps his people receive

Reminds me of the brave Patriots(R) that couldn't make it to the anti-government takeover at Malheur because they hadn't yet received their disability checks.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: January 09, 2019 03:12PM
lost in space
Hah! I misread "defeated" as "defecated." Kinda works though.

thumbsup smiley

Posted by: btfc
Date: January 09, 2019 03:30PM
He's been reduced to throwing red meat to his base.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 09, 2019 03:35PM
It will be a rude awakening when he realized that most of the people who get welfare, food stamps, and disability insurance payments are poor whites.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 09, 2019 03:38PM
btfc
He's been reduced to throwing red meat herring to his base.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 09, 2019 04:46PM
rjmacs
It will be a rude awakening when he realized that most of the people who get welfare, food stamps, and disability insurance payments are poor whites.

They will be glad to suffer for him. Look at the farmers who overwhelmingly still support him. These are some weird and desperate Deplorables.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 09, 2019 06:06PM
Hey Speedy, did you see this?

America’s cheese stockpile just hit an all-time high

...Some have grown concerned that stockpiles will build further yet if trade tensions with China and Mexico cut into cheese exports. Cheese prices have fallen sharply, they say, eroding dairy farmers’ already thin margins.

Remember when Republicans were all about free and open markets?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 09, 2019 06:42PM
rjmacs

"I never thought leopards would eat MY face," sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 09, 2019 10:15PM
It’s all that imported Canadian cheese that Pres. Trump had stopped with tariffs but with the new NAFTA 0.000002 or MADCOW treaty things are back to the way they used to be.

pdq
Hey Speedy, did you see this?

America’s cheese stockpile just hit an all-time high

...Some have grown concerned that stockpiles will build further yet if trade tensions with China and Mexico cut into cheese exports. Cheese prices have fallen sharply, they say, eroding dairy farmers’ already thin margins.

Remember when Republicans were all about free and open markets?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 302
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018