advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
McConnell just said "we are all behind the President"
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 09, 2019 01:24PM
coming out of the WH meeting. Jesus, Mac....when are you going to wake up?
45 said "the Republicans are totally unified. Not the Dems".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 01:25PM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: McConnell just said "we are all behind the President"
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 09, 2019 01:32PM
So I guess his wife keeps her Cabinet job?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2019 01:33PM
.....the "President" has a very large behind, so yes they can all stand behind him.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 09, 2019 01:39PM
That might be bad news, it could be indicating that he expects all his Senators to keep from defecting like Murkowski. It really depends what he is saying directly to them behind the scenes.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 09, 2019 01:45PM
Can you give a link for this. I can't seem to find anything about it. Or was it something you saw on TV?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 09, 2019 01:46PM
McConnell always expects all his Senators to keep from defecting. He's usually right, too. The GOP has built a tight network of absolutely horrible automatons.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2019 01:54PM
It's always safer to stand behind the madman with an automatic weapon.
Date: January 09, 2019 02:19PM
Too bad about that 'House Majority' thing, Mitch.
Date: January 09, 2019 02:24PM

THE ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE COMING!
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 09, 2019 02:36PM
This doesn't refer to a what McConnell said afterward but this gives a good idea of what many Republican Senators are thinking:

[talkingpointsmemo.com]

It seems to say that Trump had no new ideas and declaring an emergency is still a viable option. And then the real point of the gathering - push the idea that this is a loyalty test. Stick with him because the only way they win is if they stick with him. Got to be loyal to him because loyalty to him is how to win. (Plus the unstated club he has that is his cult following.) Be loyal to me!!!

That was the consensus from GOP senators as they left an hourlong lunch meeting at the Capitol. Trump made no new proposals and offered no new solutions to the ongoing government shutdown, which hit its 19th day on Wednesday. The president repeated much of what he said during his nationally televised Oval Office speech Tuesday night, while making a push to rally wavering members to hold strong with him. And while a few Republicans voiced concerns about the current situation, including Sens. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) and Susan Collins (R-ME), the vast majority made clear that they’re behind the president.
- - - - - - -
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) said there was one clear message from Trump: “Stick together.”
- - - - - - -
“He urged us to remained unified,” Murkowski said.
- - - - - - -
“I didn’t say nobody raised any concerns but nobody raised any negative concerns, and everybody is committed to staying the course,” Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA) said.

“Everybody’s going to remain in unity,” freshman Sen. Mike Braun (R-IN) said.

It's not the merits or demerits of what he wants to do that matters. What matters is loyalty to him. Pathetic.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 09, 2019 02:50PM
I really loved that suck up circle jerk the cabinet did two summers ago for Pres. Trump. I wish the senators would reprise in their own way that infamous event for the cameras.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2019 02:50PM by Speedy.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 09, 2019 02:54PM
Staying "unified" and "sticking together" is shorthand that this is all about retaining power and that the fate of the country and their citizens means nothing to them.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: AllGold
Date: January 09, 2019 03:09PM
Then they can go down with Trump.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 09, 2019 03:15PM
AllGold

ftw smiley

=wr=
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 09, 2019 03:19PM
wave rider
AllGold

ftw smiley

Yes, it seems it is the other way around.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 09, 2019 04:33PM
I think the end result will be Trump "saving" the government by funding and then declaring a national emergency.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 09, 2019 05:08PM
They're afraid if they don't hang together, they'll all hang separately.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 09, 2019 06:17PM
DeusxMac
They're afraid if they don't hang together, they'll all hang separately.

Either way works for me!

terrified smiley

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 10, 2019 01:20AM
That’s odd. They had Susan Collins on the NBC news saying all sorts of things to Lester Holt which I could have sworn were...umm....not exactly in lockstep with the orange emperor.

Of course it is Susan Collins, of course, who has never seemed to allow deeply held personal opinions to get in the way of voting lockstep GOP when it really counts.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 10, 2019 07:03AM
Susan Collins. Did she have a hat, cane, and musical accompaniment?

McConnel probably sends out a monthly email to the “real” senators reminding them to just ignore whatever she tells the press.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 10, 2019 08:42AM
Right now, it appears that “centrist” Republicans (ie that are worried about their jobs after 2020) are trying to find a way out of this hole that the orange emperor has dug for them.

[Senator] Graham brought together a half dozen Republican senators Wednesday afternoon in a last-ditch attempt to resolve the three-week stalemate before President Donald Trump deploys an explosive emergency declaration to build his border wall.

Democrats were not invited...

Anything led by Graham seems to more likely to be showboating than anything productive. But the quotes from attendees are telling:

Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), who attended the meeting, said there is an appetite for a deal. “What you should be aware of is that there’s a group of like-minded senators that are gathering to see if we can’t offer up some solutions.

...Wednesday’s confab comes as Republicans, who have largely supported the president’s budget brinkmanship, are beginning to splinter. Three Republican senators, including Gardner and Collins, have called on the president to negotiate for wall funding after first reopening shuttered government agencies.

I suppose that you could call this negotiating behind the president’s back. Maybe that’s what McConnell meant about being “behind Trump”.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 10, 2019 02:13PM
Sorta surprised that an Executive Order would be used for his wall. Construction seems way more complicated and time consuming compared to policy changes. I’d think any such EO would be either sued or stopped by a judge longer before any real dirt was moved, no?

Just seems odd Graham or whomever would be “worried” about a wall under that scenario.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 239
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018