advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
My whine about the gov shut down
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: January 09, 2019 06:32PM
Reading comments here tell me that my views are very similar to many regular posters. Helps me to validate my thought processes. That said...

My more bipartisan comment.

I strongly feel that anytime, for any reason there is a government shutdown, whether it be the wall, budget issues or any other "issue" causing a shut down, NOBODY in The House, Senate, or any congressional elected position gets paid until the issue is resolved and the government is "open".

How long would you or me hold a job in business if we could not pass budget, make payroll and open the doors for business?
This is total BS, regardless of them being a Rep. or Dem., get your f'ing butt in there, sit down and discuss this. State your case, listen to others, compromise, debate, DO your f'ing job!!!
As my Dad used to say, "Sh$t or get off the pot!".

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My whine about the gov shut down
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 09, 2019 07:15PM
As a fairness principle I completely agree with this. No paychecks for the president or anyone in Congress (electeds) while the government is shut down.

The counter-argument would be that they shouldn't be negotiating for something as important as the federal budget while under pressure to pay their own mortgage and kids' tuition, etc. Could be implied as pressure to take a bad deal for personal benefit.
Posted by: timg
Date: January 09, 2019 07:21PM
I'd be interested to know what percentage of the house/senate would actually be affected by not getting paid. I get the feeling most of them are well off on their own and don't need the paycheck from the government.

That's certainly the case for the resident of the White House.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 09, 2019 07:35PM
How about instead, they be fined a % of their net worth (I know we're getting into fantasy land here...) AND dock their pay??!!

But Lemon is right - it's the wrong kind of pressure. It's pressure to do SOMETHING... not the right thing.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2019 07:43PM
The problem is that our “representatives “ do not represent “We The People”.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 09, 2019 07:45PM
timg
I'd be interested to know what percentage of the house/senate would actually be affected by not getting paid. I get the feeling most of them are well off on their own and don't need the paycheck from the government.

They are definitely more comfortable than the average Joe:
As Quartz reports, in 2015 the median net worth of a US Senator was $3.2 million, for a Congress member it was $1.1 million, and for members of the House of Representatives it was $900,000. Meanwhile, the typical American household for 2015 was worth just under $80,000

But I have heard stories of reps struggling to afford households in two cities, particularly when DC is so expensive now.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 09, 2019 08:19PM
That's a nice sentiment DinerDave, but the problem is that all the cards are held by two people...Trump and McConnell. They are wealthy and withholding their pay would mean nothing to them. Not only that, but they are the ones who would have to create the regulations to withhold their own pay, and they're not going to do that.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: timg
Date: January 09, 2019 08:20PM
Lemon Drop
timg

They are definitely more comfortable than the average Joe:
As Quartz reports, in 2015 the median net worth of a US Senator was $3.2 million, for a Congress member it was $1.1 million, and for members of the House of Representatives it was $900,000. Meanwhile, the typical American household for 2015 was worth just under $80,000

But I have heard stories of reps struggling to afford households in two cities, particularly when DC is so expensive now.

So, politics is still a rich mans game ... not surprised.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 09, 2019 08:50PM
There should be no government shutdown EVER. PERIOD! There are no excuses, no good reasons. Fund the agencies with CRs while the issues are worked out. That should be the law.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 09, 2019 09:56PM
We're just out here livin' the nightmare life.
Posted by: Z
Date: January 09, 2019 11:26PM
They all lose their pensions?
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 09, 2019 11:46PM
For decades, Congress has ALWAYS done a good job of taking care of Congress. Congress has LONG AGO forgotten that they work for the people, NOT the other way around (although Congress has been wildly successful in convincing the "common man" that Congress comes first, people just get crumbs). I've said for decades now that there should be FIRM term limits written into law. Once elected, Congress sees its' main job as getting themselves reelected. old fogey smiley
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 10, 2019 12:30AM
Pam
There should be no government shutdown EVER. PERIOD! There are no excuses, no good reasons. Fund the agencies with CRs while the issues are worked out. That should be the law.

You don’t get the whole concept, Pam. Government shutdown is a feature, not a bug, to some people.

In the case of other people (cough-Dems-cough), what you describe is exactly what they’re trying to do. Reopen the government by passing non-controversial departmental bills (some or all of which may be CRs) one by one, or passing exactly what passed the Senate 98-0 a few weeks ago, funding everything at once with CRs, and leaving out the controversial part (the wall) for further discussion/negotiation. But McConnell now says the Senate will not vote on anything the great orange emperor has not blessed if it doesn’t contain his arbitrarily selected monetary amount to specifically build (a very small subset of) the wall. The GOP calls this the Democrats’ fault, and proves that they will not negotiate.

dunno smiley
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 10, 2019 10:35AM
pdq
You don’t get the whole concept, Pam. Government shutdown is a feature, not a bug, to some people.

It is a hostage situation. We did not do this until Gingrich. Before then, if you wanted something--a wall--you traded for something--e.g., a DACA path. Since then, you just demand what you want 'or else.'

Now, who is doing this kind of "negotiating?"

Whine: during shutdown legislators should not get paid
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 10, 2019 01:24PM
I'm surprised that no one has raised the argument that withholding pay from legislators has unintended consequences such as potentially driving them into the waiting arms of lobbyists and campaign donors to cover their bills, an option rank-and-file employees DO NOT HAVE. Doing so would give leverage to the wealthier and more corrupt legislators who know they can out-wait the poorer / less corrupt legislators.

I feel like someone should run a kickstarter COUNTER to the BUILD THE WALL one to FUND THE GOVERNMENT.

Hypothetically - if Trump declares an illegal state of emergency, could large corporations essentially defund the treasury by withholding payroll taxes as a means of supporting a general strike? That might be the kind of step needed in such a place and time - massive civil disobedience over an unlawful regime seizing power. Otherwise it would seem the brown shirts win it all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018