advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Where was the meeting, at the White House or at Capitol Hill? Or perhaps there were TWO meetings?
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 09, 2019 08:24PM
email from NYT (my underline):

1. President Trump abruptly walked out of a meeting on the government shutdown with Democratic leaders at the White House.
“Just left a meeting with Chuck and Nancy, a total waste of time,” the president tweeted. “I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO. I said bye-bye, nothing else works!”

then if I click on the link it takes me to the article

[www.nytimes.com]

Photo caption says

President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence arriving on Capitol Hill on Wednesday for a meeting with Republican leadership.

The first two paragraphs:

WASHINGTON — President Trump stormed out of a White House meeting with congressional leaders on Wednesday after Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she would not fund a border wall even if he agreed to reopen the government, escalating a confrontation that has shuttered large portions of the government for 19 days and counting.

Stunned Democrats emerged from the meeting in the White House Situation Room declaring that the president had thrown a “temper tantrum” and slammed his hands on the table before leaving with an abrupt “bye-bye.” Republicans disputed the hand slam and blamed Democratic intransigence.

The first underline here, White House Meeting, does not seem to imply the location IMHO, just that people from WH were in that meeting. The second one clearly indicates that the meeting took place at the WH.

So there were TWO meetings? The photo clearly shows them going to Capitol Hill. The text clearly says meeting at the White House.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Where was the meeting, at the White House or at Capitol Hill? Or perhaps there were TWO meetings?
Posted by: davester
Date: January 09, 2019 09:29PM
They had one meeting with purely Republicans where he made them all swear allegiance to him. They came out stating that they were going to "stick together" with "unity" (meaning that they were purely in it for power with no intention to do anything that might be good for the American people). He then went to a second meeting with democrats (I don't know if any other Repubs were present). This was a sham meeting where he asked Nancy Pelosi a single stupid question whose answer he already knew (the answer was "no"). The second meeting was completely staged and had the sole purpose of giving him a "the democrats won't negotiate" talking point. Never mind that Trump gave them an ultimatum and didn't even try to negotiate. If it sounds like, acts like, and smells like a mafia boss, is it a mafia boss?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Re: Where was the meeting, at the White House or at Capitol Hill? Or perhaps there were TWO meetings?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 09, 2019 09:34PM
Yes. There was a meeting with dems at the White House (11:00am) and then a meeting with republicans (12:45pm) at the Capital to rationalize how slamming your fists on the table, yelling and storming out of the room is actually a sly negotiating tactic... and then there was also a scheduled meeting with both dems and pugs at 3pm at the White House, but I don't know that the last one went off.

[www.cnn.com]
[www.politico.com]

Posted by: space-time
Date: January 09, 2019 09:42PM
After posting this, I watched Vice News in HBO and yes, there were two meetings. IIRC the first one was at Capitol hill with Republicans and then later at the WH with Democrats.

Thanks for the clarification.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 10, 2019 06:18AM

Oh, that meeting
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 10, 2019 06:56AM
NPR’s evening broadcoast sort of played the events out of order also. I heard Keven McCarthy’s very angry faux outrage about what he said was a meeting that didn’t happen (basically, he lied saying the altercation between Trump and Pelosi and Schumer didn’t occur, although he probably meant that it didn’t occur “like that,” even though he wasn’t there LOL ) And later they played Schumer, who sounded like an adult calmly describing what happened.

They also mentioned how McConnell said er’body (Republicans) was onboard but that 3 Senators expressed wanting the government funded. Maybe those 3 were later killed yesterday for insubordination, I don’t know.

It was an attempted lightning bolt to see if the Dems would budge. Another swing-and-a-miss. Staged drama without a good Director is always gonna leave the audience wanting their tickets refunded.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 309
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018