advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 11, 2019 07:57PM

In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.
The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, took over the inquiry into Mr. Trump when he was appointed, days after F.B.I. officials opened it. That inquiry is part of Mr. Mueller’s broader examination of how Russian operatives interfered in the 2016 election and whether any Trump associates conspired with them. It is unclear whether Mr. Mueller is still pursuing the counterintelligence matter, and some former law enforcement officials outside the investigation have questioned whether agents overstepped in opening it.

The criminal and counterintelligence elements were coupled together into one investigation, former law enforcement officials said in interviews in recent weeks, because if Mr. Trump had ousted the head of the F.B.I. to impede or even end the Russia investigation, that was both a possible crime and a national security concern. The F.B.I.’s counterintelligence division handles national security matters.
[www.nytimes.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 11, 2019 08:06PM
I predict he makes a deal to resign in order to avoid obstruction of justice charges and possibly charges against family members. Assuming they don't have something worse.
Re: "F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia"
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 11, 2019 08:07PM
Sounds like 45 is going to have a really bad weekend with this and the shutdown bearing down.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 11, 2019 08:43PM
Deep state. Deep state. Deep state. Deep state. Deep state. Deep state.
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 11, 2019 08:54PM
The Deplorables will never buy it. To the end they will cling to him.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 11, 2019 11:17PM
Lemon Drop
I predict he makes a deal to resign in order to avoid obstruction of justice charges and possibly charges against family members. Assuming they don't have something worse.

I hope you're right but I will want him prosecuted regardless.
Date: January 11, 2019 11:43PM
samintx

They're gonna learn how we feel.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2019 07:01AM
.....keep it coming......keep it coming......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 12, 2019 08:44AM
samintx

That's correct. Water is not wet.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 12, 2019 09:25AM
But her emails!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: January 12, 2019 09:38AM
Grandma, tell me about 2016!

Well honey, people were upset about a lady's emails so they decided to put white supremacists who were also agents of Russia and Saudi Arabia in charge.

Oh.
Posted by: max
Date: January 12, 2019 10:44AM
Lemon Drop

Well honey, people were upset about a lady's emails so they decided to put white supremacists who were also agents of Russia and Saudi Arabia in charge.

Oh.

Lets translate from your revisionism to what actually happened:
Well honey, people were upset with a candidate so fundamentally flawed, warmongering bully, corrupt and scandal-ridden that she would lose to a has-been reality TV star....

Oh, dont forget to admit your responsibility for supporting that ideologically corrupt "lady", Grace...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 12, 2019 11:25AM
max
Lemon Drop

Oh.

Well honey, people were upset with a candidate so fundamentally flawed, warmongering bully, corrupt and scandal-ridden that she would lose to a has-been reality TV star....

Oh, dont forget to admit your responsibility for supporting that ideologically corrupt "lady", Grace...

Let's translate from your bastardization of history and curious lack of punctuation:
Well honey, people were so upset with an uppity woman that they believed conspiracies about her, so they decided to put an adulterous con artist with a toddler's rationale for behavior, in office.

Oh, and don't forget to admit your responsibility for weekly supporting that ideologically corrupt "man", max ...

Here are some extra ellipses, just for you, the Ellipses King, for added "unsaid truth and gravitas" Ooh, just imagine all those words, ooh ooh ooh ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
Date: January 12, 2019 11:40AM
Trump’s tweets this morning are a series of sad lies. He has no sound, factual rejoinders so he simply cries like a baby.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 12, 2019 12:28PM
deckeda
max
Lemon Drop

Oh.

Let's translate from your bastardization of history and curious lack of punctuation:
Well honey, people were so upset with an uppity woman that they believed conspiracies about her, so they decided to put an adulterous con artist with a toddler's rationale for behavior, in office.

Oh, and don't forget to admit your responsibility for weekly supporting that ideologically corrupt "man", max ...

Here are some extra ellipses, just for you, the Ellipses King, for added "unsaid truth and gravitas" Ooh, just imagine all those words, ooh ooh ooh ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
Unsaid truth and gravitas. I like it. I'm going to start doing it...
Posted by: max
Date: January 12, 2019 01:25PM
Lemon Drop
Oh.

max

deckeda

deckeda, still unable to accept his own responsibility for Trump's election.
it is American people fault for being "fooled", for being sick and tired of being denied a candidate that was not corrupt, that was not a warmongering bully, that was not so fundamentally flawed that they would pick anybody but your ideologically bankrupt deadwood....

deckeda
I am sure you will be able to show us this weekly support of Trump, deckeda, or is this your usual fantasy, your own stereotyping, your own hate and bigotry projected upon inconvenient arguments ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2019 01:27PM
Stepping back for a minute: If no other reporting existed on Trump/Russia, the fact that the FBI started a CI investigation to determine whether or not the sitting president of the US was either comprised by or an agent of Russia, it would be the biggest political story...ever.

— Natasha Bertrand

so true - Trump has desensitized us
Date: January 12, 2019 02:06PM
hal
Stepping back for a minute: If no other reporting existed on Trump/Russia, the fact that the FBI started a CI investigation to determine whether or not the sitting president of the US was either comprised by or an agent of Russia, it would be the biggest political story...ever.

— Natasha Bertrand

so true - Trump has desensitized us

And yet what the FBI chose to tell everybody about before the election was their nothingburger investigation into Hillary's email server.

HRC 8 days before the election:

We have never seen a mind meld of the kind between the Russian leadership and a president of the United States . . . Putin is a trained intelligence officer from the old KGB. He knows he can use flattery to get into Donald’s head, to make Donald the Kremlin’s puppet. And it seems to be working. Donald has signaled to Putin that he will let Russia do whatever it wants, from the Ukraine to Syria and beyond . . .
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 12, 2019 02:21PM
I stand by that I am still confused how gullible people are with respect to Orange Man.

I actually understand - I do not approve, but I understand - people that object to highly qualified women candidates.

But I do NOT understand Bernie 'supporters' who were such sore losers that they supported Orange Man, someone they KNEW stood for so much that was wrong.

Orange Man is a Russian Agent, even if there is no direct check trail of favors/$$.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 12, 2019 02:28PM
"secretly"?
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 12, 2019 07:30PM
Lux Interior
"secretly"?

Indeed. he said he can shoot someone on Fifth Ave in plain day light and get away with it. He probably thinks he can also get away with working for Russia in plain sight.
Date: January 12, 2019 10:27PM
Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to hide details of talks with Putin, such as taking interpreter’s notes, U.S. officials say

President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladi­mir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.

Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump’s actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson.

The constraints that Trump imposed are part of a broader pattern by the president of shielding his communications with Putin from public scrutiny and preventing even high-ranking officials in his own administration from fully knowing what he has told one of the United States’ main adversaries.

As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump’s face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Date: January 12, 2019 10:41PM
$tevie
Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to hide details of talks with Putin, such as taking interpreter’s notes, U.S. officials say

President Trump has gone to extraordinary lengths to conceal details of his conversations with Russian President Vladi­mir Putin, including on at least one occasion taking possession of the notes of his own interpreter and instructing the linguist not to discuss what had transpired with other administration officials, current and former U.S. officials said.

Trump did so after a meeting with Putin in 2017 in Hamburg that was also attended by then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. U.S. officials learned of Trump’s actions when a White House adviser and a senior State Department official sought information from the interpreter beyond a readout shared by Tillerson.

The constraints that Trump imposed are part of a broader pattern by the president of shielding his communications with Putin from public scrutiny and preventing even high-ranking officials in his own administration from fully knowing what he has told one of the United States’ main adversaries.

As a result, U.S. officials said there is no detailed record, even in classified files, of Trump’s face-to-face interactions with the Russian leader at five locations over the past two years. Such a gap would be unusual in any presidency, let alone one that Russia sought to install through what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as an unprecedented campaign of election interference.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

He needs to give an accounting for why all this secrecy is necessary. Given behavior like when he was in Helsinki he where he took Putin's word over his own intelligence agencies, there is a LOT that he needs to give an accounting for. I think Trump owes the country more of an explanation than (paraphrasing), "why wouldn't I work with the Russians".
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 13, 2019 01:44PM
Ted King
He needs to give an accounting for why all this secrecy is necessary. Given behavior like when he was in Helsinki he where he took Putin's word over his own intelligence agencies, there is a LOT that he needs to give an accounting for. I think Trump owes the country more of an explanation than (paraphrasing), "why wouldn't I work with the Russians".

But does he?

We'd all like it, it would be helpful, democracy would appreciate it, but.....

Does he need to give an accounting? Can anyone make him? Does insistence on its necessity just make us sound out of touch with reality?

These aren't thought experiments; this is unfolding history. How do we convince the Senate to convict? What can the Democrats give the GOP to blunt the pain of political fratricide? I suspect it's not going to come for free, or for cheap.

Edited for typo.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 01:44PM by rjmacs.
Date: January 13, 2019 02:16PM
rjmacs
Ted King

But does he?

Does he need to give an accounting? Can anyone make him?

Because of the nature of the office of the president, there probably isn't anyone who can make him give a better accounting. It is my opinion that he ought to give the nation much more than the hand-waving accounting that he has so far - that is what I meant when I said he "needs to give an accounting".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2019 04:22PM by Ted King.
Date: January 13, 2019 03:29PM
Ted King
rjmacs
Ted King

But does he?

Does he need to give an accounting? Can anyone make him?

Because the nature of the office of the president, there probably isn't anyone who can make him give better accounting. It is my opinion that he ought to give the nation much more than the hand-waving accounting that he has so far - that is what I mean when I said he "needs to give an accounting".

He's a wanton crook and has spent a lifetime skirting the law. He could be easily circumvented if the opportunity to raid the treasuries of our country wasn't ripe for the picking with just a bit of animatronic programming. Everybody keeps asking where MItch McConnell is. He's celebrating getting everything he's ever wanted. I believe the office of the president is being occupied by a criminal that colluded with a hostile foreign government to circumvent our election process aided and abetted by another agent on the far left. There is no current "nature of" conditions.

Exhibit #1045 (give or take a few):

V.A. Seeks to Redirect Billions of Dollars Into Private Care
[www.nytimes.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018