advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
red herring?!.....Virginia AG, Mark Herring, admits to wearing 'blackface'.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 06, 2019 12:16PM
....at college party......must be a 'Virginia' thing....or just a trend....

Virginia AG says he wore blackface at college party

....Virginia sank deeper into political turmoil Wednesday when another top Democrat — Attorney General Mark Herring — admitted putting on blackface in the 1980s, when he was a college student.

With Gov. Ralph Northam's career in peril over a racist photo in his 1984 medical school yearbook, Herring issued a statement saying he wore brown makeup and a wig in 1980 to look like a rapper during a party as a 19-year-old at the University of Virginia.

Herring, 57, said he was "deeply, deeply sorry for the pain that I cause with this revelation."

The disclosure further roils the top levels of Virginia government. Democratic Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax, who would be next in line if Northam were to resign, was confronted with sexual misconduct allegations earlier this week and denied the accusations, calling them a political smear.

Herring would be next in line to be governor after those two men.

In the statement, Herring said he and two friends dressed up to look like rappers they listened to, including Kurtis Blow, admitting: "It sounds ridiculous even now writing it."

"That conduct clearly shows that, as a young man, I had a callous and inexcusable lack of awareness and insensitivity to the pain my behavior could inflict on others. It was really a minimization of both people of color, and a minimization of a horrific history I knew well even then."

Herring, who plans to run for governor in 2021, is among those who have urged Northam to resign as governor after the discovery of a photo of someone in blackface on his 1984 medical school yearbook page.

The photo that appeared in Northam's half-page profile shows someone in blackface standing next to another person in a Ku Klux Klan hood and robe.

uhm, ok...............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 12:22PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: red herring?!.....Virginia AG, Mark Herring, admits to wearing 'blackface'.....
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 06, 2019 12:21PM
How does he dance his way out of this? He already said Northam should resign. Maybe something like this?

"I think we can agree that although we've all done incredible, galling, racist things in the past, our life journeys have given us the insight and courage to learn and move on. Isn't that right, Ralph?"

<emphatic nodding>

"Don't you agree, Justin?"

<crickets>

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Re: red herring?!.....Virginia AG, Mark Herring, admits to wearing 'blackface'.....
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 06, 2019 12:53PM
At this rate, the guy in HR is going to end up Governor.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 06, 2019 01:00PM
$tevie
At this rate, the guy in HR is going to end up Governor.

Hey, my phone is ringing!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 06, 2019 01:48PM
He was 19 and a possibly a freshman. He was dressing up for a costume party. Poor taste, poor judgement, I was there a long time ago. Different than a medical school graduate.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 01:49PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 06, 2019 02:05PM
Speedy
He was 19 and a possibly a freshman. He was dressing up for a costume party. Poor taste, poor judgement, I was there a long time ago. Different than a medical school graduate.

Agree. I'd give a 19 year old a pass.
Northam has hired a private investigator and law firm, he's going to out every elected in Virginia, past and present, who did anything racist in public and left evidence, ever. Especially Democrats. That's his plan to clear himself. Better burn those yearbooks.

We're also now hearing from black students who went to med school with Northam - apparently there were a few - who are saying the school's culture was hostile to them.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 06, 2019 02:06PM
Principles are thought of as inviolable when we want to condemn behavior that violates a principle that we believe in but in most of the things in our lives we actually make trade-offs between principles and pragmatism. I think in this case many of us Democrats have tended to get much too far over our principle skis when we should have leaned a bit more back into pragmatism. It will be interesting to see if most Democrats press ahead with high principle standards or see ways of rationalizing some pragmatism.

The principle-pragmatism dilemma is a tough one, though, so I can understand how we got to this place. For sure what us white boys need to learn is that when it comes to race/minority/gender relations that being in a privileged position means that we need to keep peeling back layers of ignorance about many people's lives who don't have white boy privilege.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 02:08PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 06, 2019 02:23PM
Big difference from a 19-year-old and a 23/24 year old ..

I'm the same age as Herring, so we likely did similarly stupid things that deeply embarrass us today. I know I drove a car with a rebel flag license plate for a couple of years. I never gave it a thought at the time and did not see it as a racial thing. I was young, stupid, and living in the south in 1980.

It should not define who I am today.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 06, 2019 03:02PM
If you think this is just a Virginia thing.....omfg!!! Nope. Not by a long shot. It's not even a southern thing.
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 06, 2019 03:18PM
As the layers of the USA race relations onion are steadily peeled away, we'll be seeing much more of this. At its core, there are plenty of closet racists and bigots going about their everyday lives, maybe even right here. No offense, of course.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 06, 2019 03:33PM
bfd
As the layers of the USA race relations onion are steadily peeled away, we'll be seeing much more of this. At its core, there are plenty of closet racists and bigots going about their everyday lives, maybe even right here. No offense, of course.

None taken.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 06, 2019 03:52PM
Ted King
Principles are thought of as inviolable when we want to condemn behavior that violates a principle that we believe in but in most of the things in our lives we actually make trade-offs between principles and pragmatism. I think in this case many of us Democrats have tended to get much too far over our principle skis when we should have leaned a bit more back into pragmatism. It will be interesting to see if most Democrats press ahead with high principle standards or see ways of rationalizing some pragmatism.

The principle-pragmatism dilemma is a tough one, though, so I can understand how we got to this place. For sure what us white boys need to learn is that when it comes to race/minority/gender relations that being in a privileged position means that we need to keep peeling back layers of ignorance about many people's lives who don't have white boy privilege.

Expediency is what you're describing Ted, not pragmatism. Pragmatism is essentially a positive thing, expediency is not. Overlooking Northam's alleged behavior instaed of holding his accountable, and calling that "pragmatic," minimizes the negative impact that behavior has on people who are not white. And isn't that most of the problem?

I'm all for forgiving Northam and giving him all the space he needs to heal and learn and talk about how he's changed and whatever he wants to do with his white boy privilege.

But he doesn't have to be a governor while doing that. There are plenty of people who could do that job who were fighting FOR civil rights when they were 25, not actively contributing to hostile environments.
Date: February 06, 2019 04:03PM
Lemon Drop

There are plenty of people who could do that job who were fighting FOR civil rights when they were 25, not actively contributing to hostile environments.

Exactly. He can examine his own past and still remain a valuable asset to his state - just not as its CEO.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 06, 2019 04:34PM
Lemon Drop
Expediency is what you're describing Ted, not pragmatism. Pragmatism is essentially a positive thing, expediency is not. Overlooking Northam's alleged behavior instaed of holding his accountable, and calling that "pragmatic," minimizes the negative impact that behavior has on people who are not white. And isn't that most of the problem?

I'm going to go by the dictionary definition of "pragmatism":

[www.merriam-webster.com]

1: a practical approach to problems and affairs
//tried to strike a balance between principles and pragmatism

It is expediency if you come from the perspective of close adherence to the principle. But that begs the question - the question is whether or not we should view this more through the lens of close adherence to principle or more through the lens of a practical approach to what happened.

If the issue is primarily one of principle then consequences don't actually matter - following the principle does. Using the minimizing of the negative impact of the behavior in an argument means that the argument is about consequences. Those consequences certainly are valid and strong factors to take into consideration but then what we need to look at is the whole constellation of consequences to see where the balance lies. That is essentially a pragmatic process.

Lemon Drop
I'm all for forgiving Northam and giving him all the space he needs to heal and learn and talk about how he's changed and whatever he wants to do with his white boy privilege.

But he doesn't have to be a governor while doing that. There are plenty of people who could do that job who were fighting FOR civil rights when they were 25, not actively contributing to hostile environments.

I actually think Northam should resign because he bungled his response so badly. I want to see and hear more about what happened with Fairfax and Herring.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 06, 2019 09:16PM
Also matters whether you are wearing a costume solo or are standing next to a @#$%& member...
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 07, 2019 07:11AM
Lemon Drop
Speedy

Agree. I'd give a 19 year old a pass.
Northam has hired a private investigator and law firm, he's going to out every elected in Virginia, past and present, who did anything racist in public and left evidence, ever. Especially Democrats. That's his plan to clear himself. Better burn those yearbooks.

We're also now hearing from black students who went to med school with Northam - apparently there were a few - who are saying the school's culture was hostile to them.

A scorched earth strategy. Lovely.

Best line so far of this whole cr@p sandwich buffet, “I guess when we said we need more people of color running for office, we should have been a little clearer.”
Date: February 07, 2019 09:39AM
For some perspective, this photo of Sen. Louis Lucas, a black woman who grew up in segregated Virginia, head down and in distress as reporters try to ask her again for her thoughts on this. This incident is weighing very heavy on the people of Virginia, it's no joke.
[twitter.com]

As for Fairfax, why did he say at first that the Washington Post had investigated and found his accuser not credible? That turns out not to be true, according to WaPo. Their actions are also suspect, they may have intentionally buried this story. He has hired Kavanaugh's attorneys and his accuser has hired Christine Blasey Ford's.

All bad.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 07, 2019 02:41PM
great photo in that tweet
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 07, 2019 02:43PM
hal
great photo in that tweet

It must be so disappointing. She looks exasperated - just done.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: February 07, 2019 08:23PM
Many of these people have apparently done things in their past that disqualify them from being perfect.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 292
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018