advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Amazon founder Jeff Bezos says National Enquirer publisher tried to extort him"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 07, 2019 06:48PM

Bezos revealed in the post, published on Medium, what he said was the full text of emails his representatives got from executives with AMI, the publisher of the National Enquirer.
Bezos, the founder and CEO of Amazon (AMZN), alleged that AMI threatened to release compromising photos of him and published what he said were emails from AMI detailing what he described as "extortion and blackmail."
[www.cnn.com]

My ownership of the Washington Post is a complexifier for me. It’s unavoidable that certain powerful people who experience Washington Post news coverage will wrongly conclude I am their enemy.

President Trump is one of those people, obvious by his many tweets. Also, The Post’s essential and unrelenting coverage of the murder of its columnist Jamal Khashoggi is undoubtedly unpopular in certain circles...Several days ago, an AMI leader advised us that Mr. Pecker is “apoplectic” about our investigation. For reasons still to be better understood, the Saudi angle seems to hit a particularly sensitive nerve.

A few days after hearing about Mr. Pecker’s apoplexy, we were approached, verbally at first, with an offer. They said they had more of my text messages and photos that they would publish if we didn’t stop our investigation.

Bezo's post on Medium:
[medium.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Amazon founder Jeff Bezos says National Enquirer publisher tried to extort him"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 07, 2019 07:10PM
Wow.

They messed with the wrong guy.

I hope that his investigation (with the unlimited budget) helps Mueller as well.
Re: "Amazon founder Jeff Bezos says National Enquirer publisher tried to extort him"
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 07, 2019 08:05PM
This National Enquirer guy sounds like a real pecker.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 07, 2019 08:39PM
......Trump and National Enquirer are tight......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: steve...
Date: February 07, 2019 09:18PM
Will Trump's (pseudo) Attorney General Whitaker follow through with criminal charges? This should be interesting.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 08, 2019 01:07AM
Rachel pointed out something interesting. In the AMI non-prosecution agreement for cooperation with Mueller, there is a clause stating that AMI agrees to commit no crimes for a three year period. Trying to extort Bezos will open AMI to prosecutions of crimes they have already admitted to, the same ones for which Cohen will do time.

No wonder Pecker was described as "apoplectic…"

=wr=
Date: February 08, 2019 06:21AM
....Ronan Farrow is now coming out to say that they threatened to ruin him as well.....he has emails.......

....Investigative reporter Ronan Farrow has claimed that the National Enquirer and its parent corporation American Media Inc. threatened him over his work, echoing complaints made earlier today by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. In a series of tweets, Farrow said American Media Inc., the National Enquirer parent, had sent him and “one other prominent journalist” a warning: “Stop digging or we’ll ruin you.” Farrow wrote several stories on the Enquirer for The New Yorker.............

Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 08, 2019 06:45AM
Gosh, now WHO would want National Enquirer to attack these people?
Date: February 08, 2019 12:28PM
....uh.....oh......the feds are now looking into this.........National Enquirer.....you in trouble, girl.......!!!

Date: February 08, 2019 01:14PM
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 09, 2019 03:58PM
An interesting opinion from an interesting source:

"I think there's a very strong chance that David Pecker may end up doing time," Jerry George, the Enquirer's former Los Angeles bureau chief, said on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

"It's looking less and less like yellow journalism and more like organized crime," he said.

smiley-shocked003
Date: February 11, 2019 01:50PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 332
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018