advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Warren apologizes days ahead of official announcement
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 08, 2019 10:04AM
Warren finally got this right. We'll find out if it works. Had she not publicized the DNA test and instead gone straight to the Cherokee Nation with an apology and outreach and just listened to understand what they need, she probably could have made something good out of it from the start. But instead she focused on defending herself and making herself the victim, which backfired big time and will probably follow her throughout the campaign.

Earlier this week WaPo reported on a previously undisclosed Texas Bar registration card from 1986 in Warren's own handwriting where she wrote in her race as "American Indian."

That came out the same day she was quietly apologizing to the Cherokee Nation:

Warren weathered the backlash for a few months, but last week, she formally apologized to Bill John Baker, the principal chief of the Cherokee Nation. Reports at the time suggested she was apologizing for taking and publicizing the DNA test. She clarified Monday on CNN that she had apologized more broadly for the confusion she may have caused over issues of tribal citizenship and tribal sovereignty “and also for not being more mindful of that decades ago.” On Tuesday, she told the Post she intended the apology to include not just the DNA test but her decision in the first place to label herself as American Indian decades ago. It was the first time she had said she was sorry for claiming Cherokee heritage.

[slate.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Warren apologizes days ahead of official announcement
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 08, 2019 10:23AM
Congrats to her on sticking with this and not trying to ignore it after struggling for a while. It takes persistence to get through entrenched patterns of thinking, and this feels like she's pulling her reluctant self along a constructive path.

I know that her critics will slam her again for this, and that's ok. She's tough (and stubborn!) and can handle the heat. No matter how this campaign plays out for her, she has an incredible opportunity to transform this into something great. Great relationships sometimes begin in crisis - I hope Warren stays connected to indigenous communities and uses her platform to advance their concerns and needs.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 08, 2019 10:27AM
Honestly, I like Warren very much..but I think she should back out on this run for President..as she has said many times before, She can be much more productive and do much more good working in the Senate. She can apologize up the wazoo on this thing..but this issue is gonna completely and successfully sidetrack her focus on presenting herself as a solid candidate with good ideas and a vision..IMO, it's done.

I don't think she's got what it takes to get through a Presidential run in the current climate with this thing nagging on her...it has to be taken into account...things are gonna get EXTREMELY nasty out there.

And i hope she proves me wrong..but i dont think it's gonna happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 10:29AM by Kraniac.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 08, 2019 11:52AM
At the risk of potentially following a story I care nothing about, did she think for a long time she was part Cherokee and today, it’s considered a lie? Because, ya know, DNA testing.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 08, 2019 12:10PM
deckeda
At the risk of potentially following a story I care nothing about, did she think for a long time she was part Cherokee and today, it’s considered a lie? Because, ya know, DNA testing.

She was told stories growing up that she had an Indian ancestor and it was recently found that her Texas Bar application stated American Indian in her handwriting. She took a DNA test in the Fall of 2018 that showed a fraction of Asian/Pacific-Islander, likely American Indian. No recognized tribe has studied her genealogy chart to properly evaluate her heritage. Note: tribes don't consider DNA at all. You need Census forms and Birth Certificates because that was the standard 150 years ago. You could have a spotless record on paper and be accepted as 100% Indian by a tribe, but have no trace of it in your DNA (cough*mailman*cough).

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 12:11PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 08, 2019 12:13PM
She doesn't have half of the tenacious nature of HRC. she is easily flustered, and it's glaringly obvious when you see it in public situations. Not good in this instance and not good for a presidential nominee.

As for this, just insert African-American for Native and see how that would play out. Her hometown newspaper is going against her, so I think she's got a huge uphill battle ahead.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 08, 2019 12:15PM
Sounds to me like we have a politician that worked through a mistake and made a sincere apology. I would love someone with that trait to hold the highest office in the land.

Posted by: vision63
Date: February 08, 2019 01:01PM
People should just let it slide.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 08, 2019 01:21PM
I've said before that I think she is a great Senator and should probably stay there. I've also said that I think the American public is ADD and is probably over her already and wants to move on to a new face. We shall see.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 08, 2019 01:27PM
If being easily flustered is a dilsquallfying condition, can we convene a 25th Amendment meeting now?

I do admire and agree with a lot of Sen Warren's positions, but I think she'd make a better VP, a Biden for a younger, more vigorous President? I just don't know who that would be?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 08, 2019 03:15PM
$tevie
I've said before that I think she is a great Senator and should probably stay there. I've also said that I think the American public is ADD and is probably over her already and wants to move on to a new face. We shall see.

This.
Date: February 08, 2019 05:11PM
mattkime
Sounds to me like we have a politician that worked through a mistake and made a sincere apology. I would love someone with that trait to hold the highest office in the land.

I agree matt. Self-awareness is a pillar of leadership; that includes having the maturity to admit mistakes and learn from them. Even (maybe especially) belatedly.

Given the immaturity of our current leader, it's a striking contrast.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 09, 2019 09:00AM
I keep trying to figure out why the State Bar still had a space for "race" in 1986. Probably hadn't reprinted the cards since they added a space for ZIP Code. I presumably have a similar card in an Austin filing cabinet, and I have no idea what I wrote in 1982. The only thing I've ever shown my Texas bar card for was to get into a law library on Saturday.

I wonder if all the people saying it was fraudulent for her to write "American Indian" would feel the same way had she written "none."
Date: February 09, 2019 11:54AM
Mr Downtown
I keep trying to figure out why the State Bar still had a space for "race" in 1986. Probably hadn't reprinted the cards since they added a space for ZIP Code. I presumably have a similar card in an Austin filing cabinet, and I have no idea what I wrote in 1982. The only thing I've ever shown my Texas bar card for was to get into a law library on Saturday.

I wonder if all the people saying it was fraudulent for her to write "American Indian" would feel the same way had she written "none."

That would've been fine, certainly more honest than what she did. I don't think that would've bothered the Cherokee Nation in the slightest.

The Texas bar at that time said it used the information for research purposes only. Given the challenges our indigenous peoples have in higher ed, it's not at all helpful to them to artificially inflate the number of people counted as having law degrees and native affiliation. Although good research based on self-reporting always leaves room for falsification of data.
Posted by: max
Date: February 09, 2019 04:54PM
Lemon Drop
mattkime

I agree matt. Self-awareness is a pillar of leadership; that includes having the maturity to admit mistakes and learn from them. Even (maybe especially) belatedly.

As long as she no longer claims to be an Indian Chief all is forgiven then?....
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 09, 2019 11:44PM
max
Lemon Drop
mattkime

Link? smiley-laughing001
Posted by: max
Date: February 10, 2019 12:37PM
bfd
max
Lemon Drop
mattkime

Link? :

humor?....
smiley-laughing001
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 271
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018