advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Facing opposition, Amazon reconsiders NY headquarters site, two officials say"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 08, 2019 01:54PM
I would love it if cities would start telling companies to take their requests for tax incentives and put them where the sun don't shine. Baltimore does this all the time, and it's infuriating. Especially since in Baltimore, the people who end up employed are usually county residents, and we see little benefit. ANYHOO:
[www.washingtonpost.com]

I wonder if this is just a bluff to make the people in Queens say, Oh no please don't go.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Facing opposition, Amazon reconsiders NY headquarters site, two officials say"
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 08, 2019 02:06PM
i've got some knowledge of these deals (to a much smaller extent, obv) and the proponents structure it so that they play the tax benefits game (read: revenue) with one entity against the next. for instance: we can locate in your city (county/town/place), and give you all of the property tax revenue, or we'll locate across the line, where you will get all of the traffic, but none of the revenue. Of course, factoring in the tax breaks may negate or lessen some of the benefits for years.

the other factor is the job creation: it typically cannot come from just the municipality's populace, given fair work rules and non-discrimination laws, so even locating in the next county could be nearly as big a benefit for the adjacent areas. but the municipalities are really after the tax revenue.
Re: "Facing opposition, Amazon reconsiders NY headquarters site, two officials say"
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 08, 2019 02:08PM
.....yes....!!!

.....heard about this earlier.......take a hike Amazon.....don't need no stinkin'........congested/high prices/etc.............

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 02:14PM by NewtonMP2100.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 290
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018