advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Justin Fairfax's second accuser comes forward
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 08, 2019 03:39PM
Meredith Watson shared her story of a "premeditated and aggressive" sexual assault with several classmates at the time (2000), at Duke where they were both students.

I think his political career has come to an end, abruptly.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Justin Fairfax's second accuser comes forward
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 08, 2019 03:52PM
She should press charges and have him arrested. There is NO statute of limitations for rape in VA.
Date: February 08, 2019 04:06PM
I believe the assault is alleged to have happened at Duke, in North Carolina. There is no statute of limitations for felony sexual assault there, but there is one for misdemeanors.

rj
AKA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 08, 2019 04:20PM
Yikes. I don't hear as much of a clamor to elevate him to the governorship now.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 08, 2019 04:48PM
....wow.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 08, 2019 05:20PM
Justin Fairfax lied to everyone regarding the Washington Post's earlier investigation into Dr. Tyson's accusation. He intentionally damaged her reputation in an effort to save his own. He said that the Post had investigated this and found the allegation to be not credible.

Regardless of what else happens, he's lost a lot of credibility.

I'd also like to know why WaPo decided to bury this story in 2017.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 08, 2019 06:51PM
Lemon Drop
Regardless of what else happens, he's lost a lot of credibility.
Looks like he’ll be losing a lot more than that.

WaPo,
“U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts is among the 2020 presidential contestants calling for the resignation of Virginia’s lieutenant governor following sexual assault allegations against him from a second woman.

Warren said on Twitter the “credible and troubling allegations” from the women accusing Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax “make it clear” that he should resign.

Her message came shortly after U.S. Sens. Cory Booker of New Jersey and Kirsten Gillibrand of New York called for Fairfax to resign. They join other notable Democrats like former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, who earlier Friday tweeted the “serious and credible” allegations have made clear Fairfax “can no longer effectively serve.””

I'd also like to know why WaPo decided to bury this story in 2017.
Here’s what WaPo says,

“The Post, in phone calls to people who knew Fairfax from college, law school and through political circles, found no similar complaints of sexual misconduct against him. Without that, or the ability to corroborate the woman’s account — in part because she had not told anyone what happened — The Post did not run a story.”
Date: February 08, 2019 06:58PM
Northam is still dug in... Seems committed.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 06:59PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 08, 2019 07:26PM
After Judge K, why do anything?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 08, 2019 08:25PM
sekker
After Judge K, why do anything?

You have a point.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 08, 2019 11:04PM
This is all the cover Northam needs; I don’t see VA having the stomach (or stones) to oust them both.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 09, 2019 02:50AM
deckeda
This is all the cover Northam needs; I don’t see VA having the stomach (or stones) to oust them both.

Oust them how?
Date: February 09, 2019 11:22AM
vision63
deckeda

Oust them how?

By making it unbearable for them to stay.
Date: February 09, 2019 11:50AM
deckeda
vision63
deckeda

Oust them how?

By making it unbearable for them to stay.

Waste of time. If Trump has canceled our elections, let me know.

We got homelessness, healthcare debacles, global warming, economic disparity and displacement. What you want is exactly the outcome that the GOP has engineered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 11:50AM by vision63.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 09, 2019 12:24PM
vision63
What you want is exactly the outcome that the GOP has engineered.

with every news report my mind keeps asking Who does this really serve?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 09, 2019 12:49PM
graylocks
vision63

That's exactly what Republicans were saying in regards to accusations from Christine Blasey Ford. That it has nothing to do with her experience of sexual assault but was only a ploy by Democrats to keep Trump's nominee off the bench. This intersection of political expediency and personal accountability has always been a challenge but I can't recall any previous situation quite like what is happening in Virginia right now.

I've been wondering what Gov. Wilder thinks of all this. He's 88 now and I don't know if he still issues public statements. He gave interviews on his book "Son of Virginia" in recent years. Fairfax is only the second black person to win statewide office in Virginia.
I find the entire situation heartbreaking and I don't think there is going to be a satisfactory ending for anyone.
Date: February 09, 2019 03:19PM
graylocks
vision63

I keep asking who is served if they stay.

It bothers me a lot that underneath the anxiety about protecting clueless, 'accidental bigots' and 'possible' sexual predators, it feels like there's an assumption that if we stick with politics as a means of social change, it's unreasonable to expect that we can elect capable, reflective, decent, self-aware, non-bigots and non-rapists.

As though the pool of citizens willing to serve, and able to be elected, are somehow just inevitably going to be unavoidably burdened by this kind of problem, at least some of the time.

I think that vision63 has a point - elections are how we decide who serves. If character assassination has become the mode du jour for disqualifying serving officials and forcing resignations, our political system is at risk. For this and many other reasons, it seems to me that Democrats have to do better with their candidates.

Undoubtably, the current situation in Virginia has shown that candidates with glaring weaknesses (old or recently exposed) pose a bigger problem for Democrats than for Republicans. This isn't surprising, but it's also the weakest of excuses to hold onto bad officials. Who is going to go stump for Democrats this fall in the legislative races? The governor? The lieutenant governor? Who is going to push to gain the first Democratic majority in recent memory and promote a progressive legislative agenda? Is it reasonable to think that Democrats as a group can simply swallow their bile and tolerate Northam and Fairfax until 2021 (really, 2022)?

I agree with LD - the whole thing breaks my heart, but only the very last chapter of this is because of GOP nasties. These candidates were picked by the Democratic party, and the party owns those choices. The Republicans know that if they let bigots and misogynists serve, it often serves their interests (note that the Virginia GOP is hardly clamoring for Northam's resignation). They do not face serious consequences if they allow their trash to serve, because their voters are no longer concerned with personal integrity - just a strong, winning agenda.

Democrats don't have that freedom. Why? Because so much of what Democrats are fighting for is about undoing the legacy of structural and cultural harm and suffering caused by racism, bigotry, sexism, abuse, and neglect. Because to wear blackface and not talk to a Black person about it for 23 years seems tough to reconcile with a person you need to trust understands racism, so that he can lead the fight against it. Because to be trailed by multiple accusations of sexual abuse and assault makes at least half your constituents suspicious that your desire to end rape and fight sexism only exist as a political affectation.

There are exactly zero easy answers. I don't know who should stay and who should go. But, I think that listening to Black and women legislators, public officials, and citizens is a start - their assessment matters most, because they are the folks put most at risk by this kind of misbehavior. I'm not willing to say that it's just dirty politics, part of the game, and we should brush it off until the next election.

rj
AKA
Posted by: max
Date: February 09, 2019 05:13PM
Reaping the fruits of your own nastiness....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 09, 2019 05:54PM
max

Reaping the fruits of the disenfranchisement of the proletariat.

Date: February 09, 2019 07:35PM
vision63

You’re still wrong about that, for all the reasons I mentioned before. And if you really think I want whatever the GOP does, that’s even weirder don’t you think?
Date: February 09, 2019 07:47PM
deckeda
vision63

You’re still wrong about that, for all the reasons I mentioned before. And if you really think I want whatever the GOP does, that’s even weirder don’t you think?

You know i don't think you're a fool. I'm just making a point. You're my effing friend. Jesus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 07:48PM by vision63.
Date: February 09, 2019 08:12PM
vision63
deckeda
vision63

You know i don't think you're a fool. I'm just making a point. You're my effing friend. Jesus.

Then it’s true what they say: Friends gotta deliver the tough love, so I suppose we both see ourselves in that role ;)
Posted by: Pam
Date: February 11, 2019 06:45AM
Still catching up on everything after being tied up the past 3 days...

Virginia is trying to figure out what can be done. Impeachment doesn't seem applicable as the reasons need to be actions that happened while in office. The impeachment process could be used for a hearing. That would at least get more info out there but it wouldn't have any teeth.

We think if Fairfax resigned that Northam would appoint a replacement and then there would be a special election in Nov. But there's some question about that as well.

Ultimately political and personal pressure would be the most effective means to get Fairfax to resign.

If Fairfax is innocent, there's pretty much no way to clear his name unless the second accuser wants to press for criminal charges and he's found not guilty. That's disturbing. If Fairfax is guilty then, while damaged, he'll get a private sector job and fade from public view. That may be enough for his accusers.
Date: February 11, 2019 02:15PM
Sarcany
max

Reaping the fruits of the disenfranchisement of the proletariat.
When it comes to Democrats that is a given....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 11, 2019 02:27PM
....so did this happen.....Just_in.....time.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 11, 2019 06:12PM
Pam

If Fairfax is innocent, there's pretty much no way to clear his name unless the second accuser wants to press for criminal charges and he's found not guilty.

That is the beauty of the Me Too accusations, no matter what, he is guilty even if innocent....

Date: February 13, 2019 10:37AM
max
Pam

If Fairfax is innocent, there's pretty much no way to clear his name unless the second accuser wants to press for criminal charges and he's found not guilty.

That is the beauty of the Me Too accusations, no matter what, he is guilty even if innocent....

In the future, it'll be clear that we skirted the edges of a McCarthy-esqe social and political environment. If we skirt it that is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 285
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018