advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What, no love for Amy? Or is everyone still stuck in the 'blizzard'?!
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 10, 2019 04:36PM
[fivethirtyeight.com]

I think her 'tough on staff' reputation is going to be a net asset, even though I bet it's not true (but more of a gender bs story).
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What, no love for Amy? Or is everyone still stuck in the 'blizzard'?!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 10, 2019 05:29PM
Can someone explain the "Trump plus-minus" statistic? It comes off as the biggest 'pulled a number out-o-my-ass' in a couple of years.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 10, 2019 08:12PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Can someone explain the "Trump plus-minus" statistic? It comes off as the biggest 'pulled a number out-o-my-ass' in a couple of years.

I think the article explains it really well and it's an interesting stat.
The first number, the "actual" Trump score, is completely objective. The percentage of time the person voted in agreement with what Trump wants. Klobuchar did that 30% of the time, compared with say 12% for Kristin Gillibrand.

The second number, the "predicted" Trump score, is subjective. it's 538's guess as to how you would expect that person to vote based on how liberal or conservative the state or district they represent is. This is fairly easy to measure based on voting pattersn. So based on the political leanings of Minnesotans overall, they estimate that you would expect Klobuchar to vote with Trump 50% of the time. They'd expect Gillibrand to vote with Trump 25% of the time based on New Yorkers.

The third number is just the difference between actual and predicted. So it suggests that Klobuchar's voting is quite a bit more liberal than what the people of her state probably want, overall.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 10, 2019 09:48PM
Your explanation makes a little more sense, but it still sounds like someone 'pulled a number out-o-my-ass' so they could justify writing an article.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 11, 2019 11:32AM
Well she's got my vote now:

No hat. No gloves. No ear m u ffs. (didn't know that was a forum bad word)

No matter, President Donald Trump wasn’t impressed.

“By the end of her speech she looked like a Snowman(woman)!” Trump quipped in a tweet in which he also again questioned climate change.

Yeah, well …

“And I wonder how your hair would fare in a blizzard?” Klobuchar fired back on Twitter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2019 11:33AM by Lemon Drop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 272
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018