advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Let's go to the videotape! Sportscaster is a new hero.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 11, 2019 11:14AM
Legendary sportscaster Warner Wolf, 81, was arrested and charged with criminal mischief for removing the word "plantation" from the sign to the gated community where he lives in Naples, Florida.

In earlier HOA meetings Wolf has said he finds the sign racist and offensive and had tried unsuccessfully to have the word removed by Classics Plantation Estates.
The damage is around $1,500; Wolf was released on $5K bail.

I'm in full agreement with this - the word "plantation" is very common in housing community names in the South. It's supposed to signify wealth or something??

Needs to be gone with the wind.

[www.naplesnews.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let's go to the videotape! Sportscaster is a new hero.
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 11, 2019 11:47AM
Creative vandalism
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 11, 2019 12:15PM
Could get sticky; there are cities and towns named "Plantation" or with "plantation" in their name; some going back hundreds of years.

And any number of entities in those cities and towns that consequently have "plantation" incorporated into their names; from police departments to gas stations to barbershops.

Plus hundreds (thousands?) of other entities across the country with "plantation" in their names intended to evoke agrarian, non-urban settings (like resorts and golf clubs).
Date: February 11, 2019 12:19PM
We know what "plantation" evokes.

Time to go. Sorry if it's a bit inconvenient. The plantation system was pretty inconvenient for millions of your fellow Americans.
Date: February 11, 2019 12:33PM
Lemon Drop
We know what "plantation" evokes.

Time to go. Sorry if it's a bit inconvenient. The plantation system was pretty inconvenient for millions of your fellow Americans.

Not disagreeing with the possible connotation, just don't see how the actual, real world implementation of removal could possibly work; pretty sure it could NOT be completely removed from continued usage.

Additionally, it would be disingenuous to declare that anyone who vacationed at someplace like Kiahuna Plantation Resort Kauai did so because they were seeking to connect to, and immerse themselves in themes of pre-Civil War Southern slavery.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 11, 2019 01:20PM
What is the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations going to do!
[en.wikipedia.org]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: February 11, 2019 01:42PM
Rolando
What is the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations going to do!
[en.wikipedia.org]

Don't expect white people to do the right thing. Rhode Island is 85% white; only 4% of the population is African American. Of course they'd vote not to remove the word "plantation" from the official name of their state.
Date: February 11, 2019 01:48PM
DeusxMac
Additionally, it would be disingenuous to declare that anyone who vacationed at someplace like Kiahuna Plantation Resort Kauai did so because they were seeking to connect to, and immerse themselves in themes of pre-Civil War Southern slavery.

I don't care what anybody on vacation thinks, that's not what this is about.

Look up the history of sugar plantation era labor in Hawaii, 19th century; seems you're not familiar. It wasn't the enslavement of people from African, no, but it was something else very bad.
Date: February 11, 2019 02:14PM
Lemon Drop

doctrinaire - adjective
seeking to impose a doctrine in all circumstances without regard to practical considerations

dogmatic - adjective
inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 11, 2019 02:24PM
DeusxMac

That's true.

But I'm guessing that the resorts aren't providing much background on the sugarcane plantations that populated the area until the early 20th century, and the imposed racist caste system used to keep poor and indentured workers in line, either.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 11, 2019 04:52PM
"Jumping the Shark" is loooooong overdue for "Political Correctness"........ boink smiley
Posted by: max
Date: February 11, 2019 06:25PM
DeusxMac
Lemon Drop

doctrinaire - adjective
seeking to impose a doctrine in all circumstances without regard to practical considerations

dogmatic - adjective
inclined to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true

I am sure Lemon is actually objecting to the Democratic plantations exploiting minorities while keeping them in the subservient servitude of lifetime dependency of their meager Democratic largesse....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Date: February 11, 2019 06:40PM
My first wife and I went a plantation tour. I got a dirty look from her and other the tourists, and a worried look from the guide when I asked "Where are the slave quarters at?"

-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: February 11, 2019 07:30PM
Rolando
My first wife and I went a plantation tour. I got a dirty look from her and other the tourists, and a worried look from the guide when I asked "Where are the slave quarters at?"

If you're in SC or GA there are plenty of plantation tours you can do that include the slave quarters. They're not hidden. Charleston is basically antebellum Disneyland; I love the city and spent a lot of my growing up there, still visit family there every year; but there's a troubling lack of reckoning with the past and a tendency to romanticize it to visitors.
Calling stuff "plantation" is just one of many problems.
Posted by: max
Date: February 11, 2019 08:08PM
Lemon Drop
Calling stuff "plantation" is just one of many problems.

Actually being clueless about what constitutes a plantation today,
being a parochial, politically correct, dogmatic doctrinaire is the main problem....

planting on such a vast scale, and say the massive, managed plantations of trees needed to hold temperatures below the 2-degree C limit from pre-industrial levels....
rees are far more than CO2 sinks, says Finkbeiner. “They can provide millions of jobs and other benefits. The use of local timber-intensive materials in construction substitutes CO2-intensive materials like steel and concrete, and the timber industry can create hundreds of millions of additional jobs and wealth in the Global South, thus reducing population growth and migration.”
[www.huffingtonpost.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 11, 2019 08:39PM
Rolando
The looks were because you ended a sentence with a preposition. winking smiley

Date: February 11, 2019 09:00PM
$tevie
Rolando
The looks were because you ended a sentence with a preposition. winking smiley

I was in the Deep South, so when in Rome....

-- Edmund Burke
-- Eli Weisel

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 12, 2019 02:20PM
Rolando
I was in the Deep South, so when in Rome....

I find Athens, GA to be infinitely more fun than Rome, GA

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 02:21PM by Ombligo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 315
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018