Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Bill Shine abruptly resigns as White House communications chief
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 08, 2019 12:11PM

Bill Shine abruptly resigns as White House communications chief
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Bill Shine, the former Fox News executive who joined the White House eight months ago as President Trump’s top communications adviser, has resigned abruptly, the White House announced Friday.

Shine, who served as assistant to the president and deputy chief of staff for communications, offered his resignation to Trump on Thursday evening, and the president accepted it, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders announced Friday.

Shine plans to continue in the Trump orbit as a senior adviser to the president’s 2020 reelection campaign.

“Serving President Trump and this country has been the most rewarding experience of my entire life,” Shine said in a statement. “To be a small part of all this President has done for the American people has truly been an honor. I’m looking forward to working on President Trump’s reelection campaign and spending more time with my family.”

A former president of Fox News and protege of the late Roger Ailes, Shine, 55, was recruited to the White House last July by Trump to help buff the president’s public image and direct his communications strategy.

In recent months, however, Trump has complained about his media coverage and blamed Shine in part for not making it more positive, according to current and former administration officials.

The two men had a number of disagreements in recent weeks, said aides, who were granted anonymity to speak freely. Shine, for instance, did not accompany the president on his trip last week to Vietnam for a high-stakes summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bill Shine abruptly resigns as White House communications chief
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 08, 2019 12:25PM
I’m looking forward to working on President Trump’s reelection campaign and spending more time with my family.

Translation: "Yeah, now that I've seen the inside of this administration, I'm getting out before I end up in prison."
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 08, 2019 12:56PM
I suspect some of these departures are the result of one big ego deciding they didn't want to be subservient to another big ego; especially one they felt (and probably correctly) wasn't as smart as they were.

Shine had come from being the co-president of Fox News and head of the network's news and programming operations. He probably chafed mightily at being reduced to taking marching orders from the trumpster.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 08, 2019 01:12PM
Update the spreadsheet!
Date: March 08, 2019 01:22PM
Didn't even get the Trump Exit Bingo cards back from the printer.
Date: March 08, 2019 01:29PM
maybe this had something to do with it as well? (Reported last November. Also in last week's comprehensive Fox/White House article in New Yorker)

Bill Shine Is Receiving Millions of Dollars From 21st Century Fox While Getting Paid by the White House
[www.adweek.com]
Former Fox News co-president Bill Shine received a significant severance package when he departed the network on May 1, 2017. And apparently he’s still getting paid by parent company 21st Century Fox.

The Hollywood Reporter’s Jeremy Barr reports the TV news exec-turned White House deputy chief of staff for communications received $8.4 million when he left FNC, according to a financial disclosure form that was released on Friday.

Shine, who officially began working in the White House on July 5, is also getting a bonus and options of about $3.5 million from 21st Century Fox both this year and next year, according to Barr.

That means that Shine is getting paid by both the White House and Fox News (21CF), a network closely linked to the Trump administration. The severance agreement expires on May 1 of 2019.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 01:30PM by Steve G..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018