advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Netanyahu: "Israel Is The National State ‘Only Of The Jewish People’"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 10, 2019 06:31PM
[www.huffpost.com]

JERUSALEM (AP) — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel is the homeland “only of the Jewish people,” in a new jab at the country’s Arab minority ahead of April’s election.

Netanyahu on Sunday addressed “slightly confused people” after an Israeli celebrity defended the rights of Israel’s Arab population. Arabs comprise about 20 percent of Israel’s 9 million residents. They have full citizenship rights but have faced decades of discrimination.

On Saturday, actress Rotem Sela denounced Netanyahu’s frequent talking point that his political rival will form a government with Arab political parties.

“When the hell will someone in this government tell the public that Israel is a country of all its citizens,” Sela wrote on Instagram.

Netanyahu responded: Israel “is the national state, not of all its citizens, but only of the Jewish people.”

The only explanation I can think of for this is that he thinks he needs to rile up his "right wing base" to get their support for some reason or another. I don't see how this is going to go over very well at all internationally.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Netanyahu: "Israel Is The National State ‘Only Of The Jewish People’"
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 10, 2019 07:02PM
And his best friend on the world scene of course is Donald Trump.

I hope he's defeated, we'll see what the Israelis decide they want for a leader.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 10, 2019 08:49PM
another reason why he and his coalition should lose (and he should be indicted soon, convicted and jailed)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 10, 2019 08:57PM
I hope he loses. I'm not up for another crushing election disappointment.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 10, 2019 09:16PM
Build the Wall!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 10, 2019 09:23PM
Speedy
Build the Wall!

Theirs works quite well. But it's a completely different problem.
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 10, 2019 10:06PM
Lemon Drop
And his best friend on the world scene of course is Donald Trump.

I hope he's defeated, we'll see what the Israelis decide they want for a leader.

No doubt that Trump harbors parallel sentiments, that the US is the national state, not of all its citizens, but only of the resident white people.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 11, 2019 01:09AM
It’s a democracy, with an asterisk.

To be fair, it’s certainly not the only one which needs an asterisk, small or large.

But let’s not pretend it’s a pure democracy.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 11, 2019 08:47AM
And as usual, the media hides the rest of the comment....
"Israel is not a state of all its citizens. According to the Nation-State Law that we passed, Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish People - and them alone. As you wrote, there's no problem with the Arab citizens of Israel – they have the same rights as us all and the Likud government has invested in the Arab sector more than any other government."

Politics. Israeli politics is particularly weird because of the fragmented structure.
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 11, 2019 10:31AM
cbelt3
"Israel is not a state of all its citizens. According to the Nation-State Law that we passed, Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish People - and them alone. As you wrote, there's no problem with the Arab citizens of Israel – they have the same rights as us all and the Likud government has invested in the Arab sector more than any other government."

Politics. Israeli politics is particularly weird because of the fragmented structure.

That Nation-State Law was also a problem for many people when it passed.

And Netanyahu is being disingenuous with his statements about the status of the Arab citizens of Israel. They face a lot of de facto discrimination every day. The Arab villages need serious development of their infrastructure, and they also find it nearly impossible to secure the building permits necessary for new construction, even as the government supports a frenzy of building in the Jewish neighborhoods, and in the "settlements" in the occupied territories.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 02:03PM by Janit.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 11, 2019 11:48AM
Well, now he's gone and upset Wonder Woman. [www.nbcnews.com]

Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 11, 2019 12:10PM
Israel is still living in their own “separate but equal” era, which is why so many conservatives here and around the world treat them as, well, the Promised Land. Conservative Christians here certainly don’t give a rat’s ass about Jews, but the principles of exclusion Netanyahu advocates are like catnip.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 11, 2019 12:16PM
pdq

To be fair, it’s certainly not the only one which needs an asterisk, small or large.

Are you going to say this when they vote Netanyahu out?

(I know this is off topic, but the Palestinians have seen fit to not have election since 2006)
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 11, 2019 12:48PM
cbelt3

Yes, the AP report in the OP was too truncated. Here is even more context:

With recent polls showing that the centrist "Blue and White" faction will win more seats than Likud–conceivably making its leader, Benny Gantz, the next prime minister–Culture Minister and Netanyahu-confidante Miri Regev sounded an urgent warning in a weekend interview on Israeli television.

Regev insisted that in order to cobble together a majority coalition, Blue and White would have to include the Arab parties, which openly promote a hostile Palestinian agenda, much to the chagrin of many Israeli Arab voters. It's a message that Netanyahu himself has conveyed.

Following the interview, popular Israeli model and actress Rotem Sela took to Instagram to harshly criticize Regev for suggesting that the nation's Arab citizens are some kind of fifth column.

"Oh my God, there are Arab citizens in this country," wrote Sela, adding, "When will someone in this government broadcast to the public that Israel is a country for all its citizens, and that every person was born equal? Arabs, too, God help us, are human beings. And so are the Druze. And so are gays, by the way, and lesbians, and…shock…leftists."

Netanyahu almost immediately fired back on his own Instagram account, reminding Sela that his government recently passed a bill explicitly defining Israel as the nation-state of the Jewish people, albeit also a safe haven for the minorities that live here.

"Rotem, my dear," wrote Netanyahu, "Israel is not a state of all its citizens. According to the bill we passed, Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish people alone. As you wrote, there's no problem with our Arab citizens. They enjoy the same equal rights that we all do, and the Likud government invested in the Arab sector more than any government before it."

Last year the Israeli parliament did pass a "National State Law" that downgraded Arabic from an official language of the country into a "special status" language. I think that is the law Net was talking about. Other than that, it appears that the status of Arab Israelis hasn't officially changed much so, I agree, Net's statement was primarily political.

But... Arab parties have not been part of any governing coalition. It's not in the national rules of the country that that is the case, but it sure seems to be a de facto rule. I think that is largely what Sela was referring to that Net responded to. Sure, the Arab Israelis have formal rights the same as Jewish Israelis but without being part of a governing coalition, they are effectively muted in their ability to have much of any impact on the government.

This is a dilemma deep in the heart of the compromises at the founding of Israel. Net seems to be playing off that dilemma for his own present political needs.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 11, 2019 04:55PM
Steve G.
pdq

Are you going to say this when they vote Netanyahu out?

Netanyahu is another thing entirely. My “asterisk” comment comes from 1) No right of return (or voting) for those (if there are any still alive) that fled during war, while full citizenship (including voting rights) is freely given to any immigrant any Jewish immigrant...plus the stated intent (if not policy) that Jews must always remain the majority. In other words, non-Jews may vote, but are unlikely to effect policy.

As I said, there are lots of democracies with asterisks, small and large, and Israel should be recognized for its pro-democratic stance in an area where autocracies still prevail. But let’s not pretend it’s a pure democracy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 222
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018