advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
PEACHY keen, jelly bean?!.....Nancy Pelosi is against imPEACHment......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2019 06:41AM
....though she agrees he is 'unfit' for office......

I’m not for impeachment,’ Pelosi says, potentially roiling fellow Democrats

.....House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in an interview that she opposes moving to impeach President Trump even though she believes he is “unfit” for office — her first definitive statement on the subject and one that stands to alienate members of her own Democratic Party who are intent on ousting the president.

“I’m not for impeachment,” she said in a March 6 interview conducted for a future issue of The Washington Post Magazine.

“This is news,” she added. “I haven’t said this to any press person before. But since you asked, and I’ve been thinking about this, impeachment is so divisive to the country that unless there’s something so compelling and overwhelming and bipartisan, I don’t think we should go down that path because it divides the country. And he’s just not worth it.”

Yet, Pelosi also said that she does not believe Trump is up for the job of running the country. Asked if he was fit to be president, she countered, “Are we talking ethically? Intellectually? Politically? What are we talking here?” When a reporter said all, she said he was not.

“All of the above. No. No. I don’t think he is,” she said. “I mean, ethically unfit. Intellectually unfit. Curiosity-wise unfit. No, I don’t think he’s fit to be president of the United States.”

The apparent contradiction shows that Pelosi is well aware of the political risks of impeachment and how pursuit of the president could energize Republicans voters ahead of the 2020 election. Still, her comments will almost certainly infuriate the far-left wing of the party, which has been clamoring to begin impeachment proceedings over controversies ensnaring the Trump administration.

Most House Democrats agree that they should give the chairmen of investigative committees the space to conduct their probes before engaging in serious impeachment discussions. But Pelosi’s suggestion that she doesn’t support those moves at all because “he’s just not worth it” won’t sit well with some in her caucus.

Pelosi’s comments come one week after the House Judiciary Committee, the panel with jurisdiction over impeachment proceedings, issued document requests to more than 80 people affiliated with Trump’s administration, campaign and businesses. Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), the chairman of the committee, called the requests the first step in a larger probe into obstruction of justice and abuses of power by the president. Meanwhile, other committees in the House are beginning probes of campaign-time contributions that Trump’s lawyer Michael Cohen made to silence women alleging affairs with the president as well as Trump’s plans to build a tower in Moscow and how he managed his private company.

against...........all odds............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 08:37AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PEACHY keen, jelly bean?!.....Nancy Pelosi is against imPEACHment......
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 12, 2019 06:49AM
Good for her - it's going to be hard to hold the line, but impeachment is a trap.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 12, 2019 06:58AM
And of course she’s entirely right, because Mueller won’t deliver any smoking guns. And a pile of stuff that looks really awful to a rational, thinking person doesn’t carry the same weight with everyone else who gets to vote.

Congress moves in reactionary ways, not leadership ways. They’d do better passing a few innocuous looking laws that prevent or make plain certain activities going forward, so that we don’t have to rely on the stench of a candidate disqualifying themselves.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 12, 2019 08:00AM
As long as the complicit republican senators hold the majority, impeachment is a folly.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 12, 2019 08:34AM
Unless Pence is gone, I want Trump to stay where he is until the election. Pence is far more deliberate and dangerous. While he is unelectable in 2020, the damage he would do in the meantime is extraordinary. An impeachment hearing would just energize the Republican base to vote for anything with an R near their name.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 12, 2019 08:36AM
Lux Interior
As long as the complicit republican senators hold the majority, impeachment is a folly.

thumbs up

Republicans played that game back in ‘98, and it didn’t go so well for them.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 12, 2019 08:36AM
Impeachment is a trap that will make a martyr out of Trump and embolden the Teapublicans. What will help the most is for Trump to continue to be an incoherent idiot and for Congress to continue to shut his imperial attempts down. Because Trump is the ONLY candidate 2020 Republicans have, and when he's proven to be a senile criminal, the election should be a walkaway.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 12, 2019 08:53AM
yep, it's the correct answer
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 12, 2019 09:55AM
I think most people would agree that if there is nothing "compelling and overwhelming" meaning evidence of a serious crime, then why do impeachment? Don't know about the "bipartisan" part though because it would be very difficult to get the GOP to go along even with evidence of serious crime. You would hope in that case the guy would resign, which is still a possibility if he needs to make a deal to stay out of jail in New York.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 12, 2019 10:34AM
I dont want Mike Pence anywhere near that chair..He is a more 'legit' politician who thee nutballs could really swing behind in the next election
2020 is almost here..concentrate on moving this fool out
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 12, 2019 10:56AM
I think Pelosi's position is very astute. You can't go with impeachment without overwhelming popular support (as the GOP learned with Clinton). That won't occur until Mueller's report and a couple of months of grinding hearings expose Trump first.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 12, 2019 12:40PM
Plus if it doesn't shed you of him, what's the point?
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 12, 2019 02:37PM
By the time all of this insider information comes to public light, it will be a far better exercise of justice for the American public to vote their own convictions - at the polls.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 12, 2019 03:52PM
Pretty obvious and pragmatic decision. They don't want to go through the circus and have the Senate block it like with Clinton.

The House really needs to figure out how to get one of the scandals to stick to the teflon through the distracting distractions. One of the jurors that voted Manafort guilty--amazingly-- still supports Cheeto Benito.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: March 12, 2019 06:23PM
Some of you forgot 1998’s impeachment attempt was a success in one way: It helped elect a Republican next.

Many turned away from Gore because of Clinton. Even Gore didn’t use Clinton very much while campaigning.

Even though I still don’t think impeachment should be pursued here, you know there would be some voters turned off to Trump if it occurred.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 12, 2019 06:50PM
deckeda
Some of you forgot 1998’s impeachment attempt was a success in one way: It helped elect a Republican next.

Many turned away from Gore because of Clinton. Even Gore didn’t use Clinton very much while campaigning.

Even though I still don’t think impeachment should be pursued here, you know there would be some voters turned off to Trump if it occurred.

What helped elect a Republican was Gore NOT using Bill Clinton during the campaign. Gore was part of one the most successful presidencies in American history. Gore was a part of that and he chose not to utilize it. Clinton was at the ready to stump coast to coast for him. If you "fixed" the economy, why would you not tout it?

"After his impeachment proceedings in 1998 and 1999, Clinton's rating reached its highest point at 73% approval. He finished with a Gallup poll approval rating of 65%, higher than that of every other departing president measured since Harry Truman."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 06:52PM by vision63.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 12, 2019 08:55PM
vision63
deckeda

What helped elect a Republican was Gore NOT using Bill Clinton during the campaign. Gore was part of one the most successful presidencies in American history. Gore was a part of that and he chose not to utilize it. Clinton was at the ready to stump coast to coast for him. If you "fixed" the economy, why would you not tout it?

"After his impeachment proceedings in 1998 and 1999, Clinton's rating reached its highest point at 73% approval. He finished with a Gallup poll approval rating of 65%, higher than that of every other departing president measured since Harry Truman."
I was going to say the same thing. Now, in the #metoo era, it's fashionable to diss Bill, but at that time he was extremely popular and Gore made a huge mistake.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2019 09:04PM
....and he had bigger hands.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: March 12, 2019 10:10PM
vision63

Yep. Gore told the most popular man in the country to sit this one out. And lost one state election by a few dozen votes. Thus causing 9/11, the Afghan invasions, the Iraqi disaster, which led to ISIS/ISIL.

Thanks Al!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 13, 2019 02:40AM
What vision said. I clearly recall Gore distancing himself far, far from Clinton. Colossal mistake with far-reaching consequences that we're all still paying for, literally and figuratively, and will be for a long time to come.
Date: March 13, 2019 10:29AM
Um, I don’t recall saying Gore made the right choice.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 13, 2019 10:36AM
Rolando
vision63

Yep. Gore told the most popular man in the country to sit this one out. And lost one state election by a few dozen votes. Thus causing 9/11, the Afghan invasions, the Iraqi disaster, which led to ISIS/ISIL.

Thanks Al!

hail smiley

Your ability to condense what some mistook for a complicated history into a tight, simple narrative is impressive.

We've been going about the Islamic State problem all wrong - ignoring the direct cause himself. Summon Al Gore!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: March 13, 2019 11:26AM
rjmacs
hail smiley

Your ability to condense what some mistook for a complicated history into a tight, simple narrative is impressive.

We've been going about the Islamic State problem all wrong - ignoring the direct cause himself. Summon Al Gore!

Yep, history is a series of Connetions...
[www.brainpickings.org]

-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: max
Date: March 14, 2019 10:53AM
Rolando
rjmacs
hail smiley

[www.brainpickings.org]
illustrating that picking the right ones is not one of your strengths?....

Date: March 14, 2019 05:38PM
max
Rolando
rjmacs
hail smiley

[www.brainpickings.org]
illustrating that picking the right ones is not one of your strengths?....

If you and Trump disagree, I'd say that's a really good Data point for me!

-- Edmund Burke
-- Eli Weisel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018