Not to offend anyone...
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 15, 2019 07:12AM
But i think Beto might be full of schitt
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not to offend anyone...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 15, 2019 07:19AM
....but his hands....are not small........and are very active.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 15, 2019 08:31AM
Well, he’s young and energetic, but he’s entering a crowded field without a lot on his resume. We’ll have to see how he can stand out.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 15, 2019 08:35AM
A politician? Full of schitt? Say it ain't so, Joe!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: max
Date: March 15, 2019 08:41AM
Kraniac

Explain....
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 15, 2019 08:48AM
max
Kraniac

Explain....

No. Just watch him..if you've got any shred of a @#$%& meter it'll tingle.."i was born for this"
Date: March 15, 2019 09:01AM
Kraniac
max
Kraniac

Explain....

No. Just watch him..if you've got any shred of a @#$%& meter it'll tingle.."i was born for this"

Welcome to America's New Populist Era, Kraniac. You didn't think the current president was just a blip, did you? I think we're going to see more and more of these types of candidates. Smiles, adoring crowds, and a healthy dose of righteous anger.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 15, 2019 09:41AM
Luckily, the last Democrat with a thin resume to get elected turned out to be competent. The last Republican, not so much. I think the concern that you can have a populist disaster in either party is a real one. Thin resume is a thin resume no matter what party. Extracting us from the current mess is going to take a steady hand.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 15, 2019 10:04AM
Beto’s not my choice, but I think the “born to be in it” quote, which is widely misquoted (see above) as “born for this”, is being misinterpreted and over emphasized. It comes from a Vanity Fair article that nobody has bothered to read before commenting upon.

His Instagram of his dentist visit has gifted the race with some absurd visuals, and that wasn’t smart. But I hate the idea that we choose our Presidents based on clickbait headlines. Don’t do it.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 15, 2019 10:46AM
Acer
Luckily, the last Democrat with a thin resume to get elected turned out to be competent. The last Republican, not so much. I think the concern that you can have a populist disaster in either party is a real one. Thin resume is a thin resume no matter what party. Extracting us from the current mess is going to take a steady hand.

O'Rourke has never been a United States Senator, he's never been elected to any statewide office. He doesn't have a law degree from Harvard. He's a privileged middle class white guy who is telegenic, good at raising money, and had a good run in the city council. As a Congressman he was pretty unremarkable and has a voting record that is more conservative than his constituents in El Paso.
EVEN SO, he's far better qualified to be president than Donald Trump on any day of the week.

Beto spent $8M on social media while Cruz spent $250K. And still didn't win. Beto became the hipster flavor of the month for a while. He's not in Obama's category very much at all. And I'm going to say it: in other parts of the country a lot of people thought he was Hispanic because he has a Spanish nickname (His real name is Robert Francis and he's as WASP as me, well except he's Roman Catholic. Reminding older folks of JFK maybe?) I thought that myself before I knew much about him. I think that helped drive his fundraising. (His family picked this name for him when he was a baby, he didn't pick it to fool people.)

I'm all for bringing a lot of voices to the table and of course if Dems decide he's the one I'll vote for him. But if we're going for somebody who doesn't have that executive government experience I'd prefer Stacey Abrams.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 11:51AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 15, 2019 11:35AM
smiley-score010

Lemon Drop

O'Rourke has never been a United States Senator, he's never been elected to any statewide office. He doesn't have a law degree from Harvard. He's a privileged middle class white guy who is telegenic, good at raising money, and had a good run in the city council. As a Congressman he was pretty unremarkable and has a voting record that is more conservative than his constituents in El Paso.
EVEN SO, he's far better qualified to be president than Donald Trump on any day of the week.

Beto spent $8M on social media while Cruz spent $250K. And still didn't win. Beto became the hipster flavor of the month for a while. He's not in Obama's category very much at all. And I'm going to say it: in other parts of the country a lot of people thought he was Hispanic because he has a Spanish nickname (His real name is Robert Francis and he's as WASP as me) I thought that myself before I knew much about him. I think that helped drive his fundraising. (His family picked this name for him when he was a baby, he didn't pick it to fool people.)

I'm all for bringing a lot of voices to the table and of course if Dems decide he's the one I'll vote for him. But if we're going for somebody who doesn't have that executive government experience I'd prefer Stacey Abrams.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 15, 2019 12:24PM
Here's my take - I like the current Dem leadership and bench.

Time to move on from Sanders and Clinton and, likely, Biden (though I like Joe).

I really respect Abrams and, yes, Beto.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 15, 2019 12:27PM
....the issue with Biden, IMHO, he is too bland....and a bit too 'old'......if you catch my drift.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: max
Date: March 15, 2019 12:58PM
Lemon Drop
Acer

Beto spent $8M on social media while Cruz spent $250K. And still didn't win. Beto became the hipster flavor of the month for a while. He's not in Obama's category very much at all. And I'm going to say it: in other parts of the country a lot of people thought he was Hispanic because he has a Spanish nickname (His real name is Robert Francis and he's as WASP as me, well except he's Roman Catholic. Reminding older folks of JFK maybe?) I thought that myself before I knew much about him. I think that helped drive his fundraising. (His family picked this name for him when he was a baby, he didn't pick it to fool people.)

Thank you.

You see, Lemon, there are things you do know and you are good at....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: mstudio
Date: March 15, 2019 01:28PM
NewtonMP2100
he is too bland....and a bit too 'old'...

Well, he's only 4 years older than 45. When you are old like me, that's like saying they are the same age.

Bland? How so? I wouldn't necessarily call him super dynamic but he's no slouch.

But he may croak while in office. So, yeah, we all can die tomorrow, make sure we have a good, competent VP ready to go.

Ordinarily, I would agree that we should be looking at a younger, more energetic and probably more progressive candidate, but I'm not so sure those are more electable qualities just yet. I was so sure that we were ready for a woman as president but I guess I was wrong on that one.

I'm wondering if we maybe need someone like Biden to get us out of the quagmire this country is in right now. Someone with a load of experience like he has. Don't forget, everyone seems to just love Uncle Joe.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 15, 2019 01:41PM
I think that Joe Biden could make a very good placeholder as the country gets over the horror of four years of Trump. He's familiar, popular, nonthreatening, and a source of nostalgia and humor. He could be the palate cleanser between this Filboid Studge of a President and whoever the Democrats settle on after they have made peace within their party. But mstudio is right, we will need the assurance that the VP is more than just a ticket-balancer, but a person who can actually serve if needed.

Date: March 15, 2019 01:48PM
Thank you Stevie, you said it much better, but those are my thoughts, too.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 15, 2019 04:14PM
Beto couldn't be in over his head any more than the current asshat living in the WH.
Date: March 15, 2019 06:51PM
Tru dat.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 16, 2019 04:59PM
bfd
Beto couldn't be in over his head any more than the current asshat living in the WH.

Well, certainly, but I’m starting to cool on the whole “learning on the job” thing when it’s the presidency. At least Obama had his senatorial experience, and way more intelligence and less hubris than the Current Occupant.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 16, 2019 05:25PM
pdq
bfd

Well, certainly, but I’m starting to cool on the whole “learning on the job” thing when it’s the presidency. At least Obama had his senatorial experience, and way more intelligence and less hubris than the Current Occupant.

There is so much experience and skill available to any President, any centered, confident person can be effective if they just deferred to it.
Date: March 16, 2019 05:52PM
Trump has too much self-confidence.

What I want is:

Self-awareness
Love - really loves the country and all the people including those who disagree
Ingenuity - can innovate and adapt
Hero - someone your child can look up to, passion for excellence, drive to achieve good things for the benefit of the country (not self)
Date: March 16, 2019 06:31PM
Lemon Drop

What I want is:

Self-awareness
Hero - someone your child can look up to, passion for excellence, drive to achieve good things for the benefit of the country (not self)

My operative words were "can be." That's why my dumbass thinks I can president. Your list in good in my opinion. Smarts and intellect is icing on the cake.

I was just reading this story about the Black Mayor of Abeline, Texas. I don't think it's "proof" of anything but it's proof of "something" worthwhile. This guy is mayor solely because of his deep, abiding love for the city of Abeline. People really do want that. I think it's why we all love Jerry Brown so much.

THE TEXAS TOWN THAT PROVES TRUMP SUPPORTERS AREN’T RACIST | OPINION
[www.newsweek.com]
Date: March 17, 2019 10:59AM
vision63
Lemon Drop

What I want is:

Self-awareness

My operative words were "can be." That's why my dumbass thinks I can president. Your list in good in my opinion. Smarts and intellect is icing on the cake.

I was just reading this story about the Black Mayor of Abeline, Texas. I don't think it's "proof" of anything but it's proof of "something" worthwhile. This guy is mayor solely because of his deep, abiding love for the city of Abeline. People really do want that. I think it's why we all love Jerry Brown so much.

THE TEXAS TOWN THAT PROVES TRUMP SUPPORTERS AREN’T RACIST | OPINION
[www.newsweek.com]

I agree that love and self-awareness and ingenuity are important in a candidate. I would add humility, because it's probably the quality that our political system least values and most needs.

That being said, being elected is something of a trap in American politics, and the larger the office, the greater the trap.

As Barack Obama proved at the highest level, and thousands of other candidates have shown throughout the country, being Black doesn't mean you can't get elected. If you learn the right way to speak, cultivate the necessary alliances, and mobilize voters, you can get into office.

What you can't do is actually talk about America's history and current conditions honestly. You can't discuss the intractability of racism, misogyny, homo-/trans-/xenophobia, etc. as anything other than aberrations from our ideals, because if you try you will immediately be pilloried and expelled. Criticism doesn't win majority votes.

If you try to connect the present in America with the past, fuggetaboutit. Our political culture will not endure any examination of the past that doesn't follow this simple pattern: we made mistakes in the past out of ignorance, we learned from this (correcting the ignorance), and now we are not making those mistakes anymore. Present day America is always nigh-perfect America, on the cusp of eliminating all problems residual from the past. It's always morning in America.

Facts do not matter. History does not matter. Empirical research does not matter (look at the article vision63 linked, in which the author dismisses a political scientist because her findings don't fit his worldview). His rosy view of a Black man being elected mayor of a majority majority town in Texas is all the evidence he needs to prove that race doesn't really matter in American politics, because his litmus test for 'racist' is whether personal racial animus would preclude such an outcome.

It Anthony Williams mayor "solely because of his deep, abiding love for the city of Abeline"?

I find that hard to believe. I suspect that Anthony Williams has spent his entire political career holding his tongue, biding his time, avoiding difficult topics, and telling fellow Black residents to be patient. Otherwise, how could he possibly have become mayor? I can tell from the coverage of the election that it wasn't because he ever talked about what it's like to be a Black man in central Texas, then or now.

rj
AKA
Date: March 17, 2019 01:03PM
rjmacs

Facts do not matter. History does not matter. Empirical research does not matter (look at the article vision63 linked, in which the author dismisses a political scientist because her findings don't fit his worldview). His rosy view of a Black man being elected mayor of a majority majority town in Texas is all the evidence he needs to prove that race doesn't really matter in American politics, because his litmus test for 'racist' is whether personal racial animus would preclude such an outcome.

It Anthony Williams mayor "solely because of his deep, abiding love for the city of Abeline"?

I find that hard to believe. I suspect that Anthony Williams has spent his entire political career holding his tongue, biding his time, avoiding difficult topics, and telling fellow Black residents to be patient. Otherwise, how could he possibly have become mayor? I can tell from the coverage of the election that it wasn't because he ever talked about what it's like to be a Black man in central Texas, then or now.

I don't agree with the thesis of the article, that the election of Mr. Williams is somehow evidence that Trump and his supporters are not racist. It's kind of the "I have a black friend I can't be racist" story.

However, Mr. Williams has and does discuss the painful history of African Americans in Texas including the experiences of his own relatives. He's upfront about it. He has actively worked to make the city's government more inclusive and he's had some success, apparently. I suspect he became Mayor not because he avoids difficult topics but because like most mayors he has a lot of social capital in the town; he's been and still is an administrator at Abilene Christian University and also runs a successful business with his wife.
It looks to me that he's done the same stuff that all local politicians do.

Williams campaigned around race. He spoke often about seating a more diverse group of people at the table, meaning, in part, more people of color.
[www.reporternews.com]

The mayor's presentation included a chart showing increased participation on city boards by Hispanic and African American residents in Abilene. In one-year, Hispanic representation grew by five, and the African American community saw 10 more board members. Williams said a number of groups are working to include all demographics in decision making and direction setting.
[www.kacu.org]
Date: March 18, 2019 05:31AM
Lemon Drop
rjmacs

I don't agree with the thesis of the article, that the election of Mr. Williams is somehow evidence that Trump and his supporters are not racist. It's kind of the "I have a black friend I can't be racist" story.

However, Mr. Williams has and does discuss the painful history of African Americans in Texas including the experiences of his own relatives. He's upfront about it. He has actively worked to make the city's government more inclusive and he's had some success, apparently. I suspect he became Mayor not because he avoids difficult topics but because like most mayors he has a lot of social capital in the town; he's been and still is an administrator at Abilene Christian University and also runs a successful business with his wife.
It looks to me that he's done the same stuff that all local politicians do.

Williams campaigned around race. He spoke often about seating a more diverse group of people at the table, meaning, in part, more people of color.
[www.reporternews.com]

The mayor's presentation included a chart showing increased participation on city boards by Hispanic and African American residents in Abilene. In one-year, Hispanic representation grew by five, and the African American community saw 10 more board members. Williams said a number of groups are working to include all demographics in decision making and direction setting.
[www.kacu.org]

Definitely not proof a lack of racism. He really is embedded in the infrastructure and culture of that town. It's a click bait headline.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 313
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018