advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Is DevoBill still around?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 15, 2019 01:20PM
I was wondering if he had seen this article:

FERGUS FALLS, Minn. — My husband and I bought a new home last fall — a 1910 Colonial Revival on the edge of this central Minnesota town of 14,000 people. Down the hill from our place is downtown, which includes the library and a medical clinic. Go a quarter-mile in the opposite direction, and the houses end. You’re surrounded by wide-open prairie, and beyond that is Interstate 94, which gets you to the Twin Cities in about three hours.

We’re still unpacking boxes as we get ready for our first baby, due in late March. A few weeks ago, searching for ideas for what to name our son, I looked through a family genealogy book. The last 30 pages are a transcription of my great-great-great grandfather Walter’s diary from 1883 to 1907. He came to Minnesota via Canada and England and lived with his wife, Eleanor, and their nine children on a homestead in Clay County, about 40 miles north of where I live now.
I am what you might call a “homecomer.” Wendell Berry, the Kentucky writer and farmer, uses that word to describe people who have spent some time away, usually to pursue better opportunities in cities, and then choose to return to their rural roots.
[www.nytimes.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is DevoBill still around?
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 15, 2019 02:28PM
Boy, they sure were heavy on the desolation-of-winter imagery in that piece. Not that there isn’t some of that, but they appear to have picked out the most desolate month in areas devoid of trees. Which it really isn’t, I think. I haven’t spent much time at all in Fergus, but it’s in/near lake country, which is often quite beautiful.

My wife’s sister and her hubby, who met at a well-known eastern university, ended up settling in a smallish town in central Minnesota. (He’s originally from Long Island). They’ve been there 25 years now and seem to love it - she’s been involved in what there is of the arts in their burg, and he’s a big fish in town. Their kids seem to have done alright too.

I’m not sure it would have been the life for me, but it’s not a bad one at all.
Posted by: max
Date: March 15, 2019 02:47PM
Yes, he is still here....

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 15, 2019 03:20PM
max

IIRC, Steve G. visited Pops who lives/lived in Fergus Falls. Pops hasn’t posted for about a year. I lived briefly in Fergus when I was a youngster. At the time I thought it was a big town compared to some of the other places where I had lived. There are four, yes four, marked exits for Fergus on I-94. It can be pretty miserable during parts of the winter, especially those days or weeks when it doesn’t get above zero for the high. The city itself has lots of trees but is surrounded by rich farmland where the trees have been cleared.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 03:22PM by Speedy.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 15, 2019 04:11PM
Pops lived in upstate NY, no? And sadly, he passed away recently according to someone at Brand Y who still checks-in occasionally. DevoBill is likely a different psotter - but definitely a character.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 15, 2019 04:24PM
Pops memoriam thread: [forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 15, 2019 04:39PM
Acer
Pops memoriam thread: [forums.macresource.com]

Thanks for setting me straight. Obviously my memory is failing since I posted twice to that topic.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 15, 2019 08:12PM
I don't know if the trees were cleared for farmland or it was prairie empty of trees except around lakes and the river. The photo of the State Hospital looks like all the trees were planted after it was built.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: max
Date: March 15, 2019 10:39PM
Speedy
max

I lived briefly in Fergus when I was a youngster. At the time I thought it was a big town compared to some of the other places where I had lived. There are four, yes four, marked exits for Fergus on I-94. .

The tree is Bill's trademark photo taken during different seasons....
Posted by: davester
Date: March 16, 2019 11:14PM
Sad that Pops (aka Dave) passed. He had been keeping me updated on his life and health and then he disappeared. I feared the worst and now I realize that he died shortly after my last contact. He was a great guy who had a standing invitation to visit me here in California. Sadly, he never made it. Here's to Pops/Dave.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 309
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018