advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump signs executive order on free speech on college campuses
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 22, 2019 01:06PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]

“President Trump signed an executive order Thursday protecting freedom of speech on college campuses, surrounded by student activists who have said conservative views are suppressed at universities.

Trump said he was taking “historic action to defend American students and American values that have been under siege.”

The order does not, on its face, make dramatic changes. But it was welcomed by people who say universities are fostering an unbalanced, liberal indoctrination of students — and condemned by those who say freedom of inquiry is a fundamental tenet of higher education, one the government should not be defining.

More than 100 students joined the president in the East Room for the signing, according to a statement from the White House, along with state legislators, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. The order directs 12 agencies that make federal grants, in coordination with the Office of Management and Budget, to ensure colleges are complying with the law and their own policies to promote free inquiry and debate.”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump signs executive order on free speech on college campuses
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 22, 2019 01:27PM
I think demands for exclusion of this speaker or that speaker is not productive for either side. But we all know this is a one-sided complaint.

I'll know it's REALLY about the first amendment when this order is cited in the invitation to AOC speak at Bob Jones U.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 22, 2019 01:29PM
As usual, the definition of "Free speech" is "Speech I like". Funny, but back in the 70's my college campus was pretty good about this.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 22, 2019 02:07PM
Acer
I think demands for exclusion of this speaker or that speaker is not productive for either side. But we all know this is a one-sided complaint.

I'll know it's REALLY about the first amendment when this order is cited in the invitation to AOC speak at Bob Jones U.

On the campus I work at, most of the organized conservatives / reactionaries over the years have been, well just a bit nuts. There has been the occasional less than nutty one around. The usual pattern is they use their budget up, then DEMAND more money from the student government to invite this or that speaker. When they don't get the money, "you are REPRESSING our free speech!!!". Well, the reason usually is they represent x% of the student body, already from their base support from the student gov't have received more than x% of the money available from student fees allocable by the student gov't, and they are welcome to go out and raise their own money.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 22, 2019 02:59PM
remember those tiki torches, guys!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 23, 2019 03:34PM
Means nothing. Reelection fodder.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 233
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018