advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
PSA: Bump Ban in effect tomorrow
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 25, 2019 11:23AM
[www.cnn.com]

"Possession of a bump stock, like possession of a machine gun, will be punishable by fines and up to 10 years in prison."

I hope ATF actually takes some sort of action here. An estimated 520, 000 were sold to various idiots. At least a formal letter to each of them (manufacturer records ?) should be sent.

Realistically there should never have been this discussion. Any modification that turns a semi-automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon should cause the weapon to be identified as a "Machine gun" and therefore subject to the law.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Bump Ban in effect tomorrow
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 25, 2019 11:36AM
Someone will be along shortly to muddy the waters about how to define bump, stock, semi, automatic, machine and gun. With a primer on the difficulty of defining assault, weapon, A, R and 15 at no additional charge.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 25, 2019 11:43AM
Acer, yeah, but the time to strike is NOW. The NRA is very weak. New Zealand's example is in everyone's mind. If the ATF was actually doing it's damn job they would:

1) issue a takedown notice to every video or web page that shows how to modify a weapon to make it fully automatic.
2) Issue a citation letter to the author of every such document in the US.
3) Issue a stern warning to every FFL holder that they will permanently lose their FFL if they ever even talk about automatic conversions.

And arrest a few 'pour encouragez les autres'.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 25, 2019 01:20PM
cbelt3
Acer, yeah, but the time to strike is NOW. The NRA is very weak. New Zealand's example is in everyone's mind. If the ATF was actually doing it's damn job they would:

1) issue a takedown notice to every video or web page that shows how to modify a weapon to make it fully automatic.
2) Issue a citation letter to the author of every such document in the US.
3) Issue a stern warning to every FFL holder that they will permanently lose their FFL if they ever even talk about automatic conversions.

And arrest a few 'pour encouragez les autres'.

I agree with those, but I doubt Trump's Department of Justice would have much interest in pursuing any of it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 25, 2019 04:51PM
....thought they were banning....a little.....bump and grind.....

....nothing wrong.....with a little.....bump and grind......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 26, 2019 08:41AM
"Any modification that turns a semi-automatic weapon into a fully automatic weapon should cause the weapon to be identified as a "Machine gun" and therefore subject to the law."

Ah, there's the rub. A "bump stock" (or other "trigger actuator") does NOT turn a semiautomatic weapon into a FULL automatic weapon; hence the initial determination by BATFE NOT to ban bump stocks (the manufacturer DID ask BATFE BEFORE they started selling them!). Apparently, you don't understand (or, choose to ignore) the technical differences between full and semi automatic weapons, (I won't bore you with pesky details).

Of course details and technicalities never stop anti gunners from demanding actions they want vs what laws actually dictate.

This basic misunderstanding of facts is one factor in why so little gets done legislatively. WHATEVER law / laws may be enacted, someone WILL find a LEGAL way around them, that's just human nature. Inanimate objects (firearms, bats, golf clubs, motor vehicles etc, etc, etc can easily be used as offensive weapons. Until the actual evil doers are held responsible for their actions, NOTHING will really improve. I think that's the Liberal / Democrat game plan; scream long and loud, get as much attention as the media will give you (aren't sound bites wonderful) and keep beating the drum knowing that they can change their tune when FACTS prove them wrong. As I've said for decades, it's really the VOTERS fault for putting all these idiots in positions of power. sad smiley

I like to ask people who are adamantly ant-gun WHY they hold that position. Invariably, they claim that they want to "save lives". When I point out that gun deaths rank FAR below other causes of death and ask why they're not concentrating their efforts to reduce those deaths, they generally get very angry and, storm off. Gun deaths don't even make it into the top TEN causes:

(. [www.medicalnewstoday.com]. ). and (. [www.cdc.gov]. )

so, the claim of "wanting to save lives" really does NOT ring true.

Anti-gunners are now free to return to their fantasies..........
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 26, 2019 10:13AM
The second amendment makes bans in the USA problematic.
But bans work in countries that have them. And they still get to drive cars and eat burgers and stuff.
Posted by: max
Date: March 28, 2019 04:33AM
Acer
The second amendment makes bans in the USA problematic.
But bans work in countries that have them. And they still get to drive cars and eat burgers and stuff.

The first amendment makes censorship in the the USA problematic, too.
But censors work in countries that have them. And they still get to drive cars and eat burgers and stuff....

That pesky Bill of Rights, Acer....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 314
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018