advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Matt Taibbi on "Russiagate"
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 25, 2019 12:28PM

Nobody wants to hear this, but news that Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller is headed home without issuing new charges is a death-blow for the reputation of the American news media...

...Over the weekend, the Times tried to soften the emotional blow for the millions of Americans trained in these years to place hopes for the overturn of the Trump presidency in Mueller. As with most press coverage, there was little pretense that the Mueller probe was supposed to be a neutral fact-finding mission, as apposed to religious allegory, with Mueller cast as the hero sent to slay the monster.

[taibbi.substack.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Matt Taibbi on "Russiagate"
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 25, 2019 12:40PM
Well, I have been saying for some time that the Mueller report was not going to "get" Trump. I still truly believe Trump is in danger of being indicted for tax fraud and bank fraud and frauds I may not be aware of. But I completely agree that this "Mueller will save us" thing was wrong, and I am on the record as saying so.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 25, 2019 12:42PM
As for indicting the press, Taibbi is overlooking the HUGE failure of the press to cover Hillary Clinton's campaign. The media reported every Tweet, every blurt, every fart that emanated from Trump, and all they reported about Hillary was emails and illness, illness and emails.

This is not a "liberal media" thing. This is a "ratings and clickbait" thing. People who oppose public media need to see what private media has become.

Posted by: max
Date: March 25, 2019 12:55PM
$tevie
This is not a "liberal media" thing. This is a "ratings and clickbait" thing. People who oppose public media need to see what private media has become.

Sure, sure, not a word about the "religious allegory", some may even called it a witch hunt.....

As with most press coverage, there was little pretense that the Mueller probe was supposed to be a neutral fact-finding mission, as opposed to religious allegory, with Mueller cast as the hero sent to slay the monster.

It is the liberal media propaganda thing, any pretense of objectivity has been cast aside years ago.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution;
one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 25, 2019 01:53PM
With or without Trump's knowledge, Russia played this country like a balalaika. THAT part is fully supported by Mueller's report. But since Trump managed to keep his hands clean, like the experienced, leveraged-to-the-eyeballs NYC real estate con man he is, we're supposed to forget the two dozen other indictments over Russian influence ever happened.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 25, 2019 02:13PM
Acer
With or without Trump's knowledge, Russia played this country like a balalaika. THAT part is fully supported by Mueller's report. But since Trump managed to keep his hands clean, like the experienced, leveraged-to-the-eyeballs NYC real estate con man he is, we're supposed to forget the two dozen other indictments over Russian influence ever happened.

What we're supposed to accept now is that our president was completely surrounded with corruption during his campaign but had no idea, and just coincidentally fired the people who were investigating that corruption. We're left with corrupt or incompetent but the latter keeps you out of jail.
Date: March 25, 2019 02:14PM
Also I think Taibbi's article is rubbish. He doesn't speak for me. I don't know who he speaks for other than himself.
Date: March 25, 2019 02:56PM
Lemon Drop
Also I think Taibbi's article is rubbish. He doesn't speak for me. I don't know who he speaks for other than himself.

Of course not, it is a too inconvenient reminder that you have been wrong again.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 25, 2019 04:20PM
max
Of course not, it is a too inconvenient reminder that you have been wrong again.....

The "bot" strikes!

anti-Semitism, bull crap, Clinton, fascism, fixation, flaming, hypocrisy, hypocrite, hypocrites, inconvenient, koolaide, leftwing, libs, Libya, nutsos, Obama, obsessions, orgasmic, police state, progressive, racists, raging, self hate, St. Vitus dance, trolling, you boys
Date: March 25, 2019 11:48PM
DeusxMac
max

The "bot" strikes!

blah, blah, blah..... i do not like the accurate descriptions that fit me like a glove.....blah, blah, blah....
blah, blah, blah..... i do not like the accurate descriptions that fit me like a glove.....blah, blah, blah....

The troll strikes!

Poor DeusxMac, still unable to argue the subject under discussion, yet his max obsession pulls stronger than ever....

Posted by: vision63
Date: March 26, 2019 02:16AM
Taibbi, much like his kin Greenwald is a dork. A reactionary white man hiding out on the left staking out the moral high ground while constantly shifting the goalposts to suit whatever it takes to bash Democrats. Especially Black and women Democrats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 02:17AM by vision63.
Date: March 26, 2019 02:50PM
Those "moving goalposts" reflecting the new information and lessons we learn as time brings them up?
The other choice being stuck in an outdated dogmatic limbo.
Morality vs expediency, which side should I take?
Is that the question?
I prefer to stand with my conscience, and both of them, Greenwald "and his kin Taibbi" reflect and understand reality a lot closer than the corrupt Democratic machine being slobbered over by the yellow dog faithful on this side of the forum....

Date: March 26, 2019 08:02PM
Media coverage of the Mueller investigation by reputable journalism brands was accurate and responsible and non-hysterical. If you consume junk sources you'll get junk, and we don't need him to tell us it's junk.

Taibbi's thesis is false. He's selling his latest book with this dramatic click bait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 08:02PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: March 27, 2019 04:02AM
Lemon Drop
If you consume junk sources you'll get junk, and we don't need him to tell us it's junk.
That does explain most of your closed end conclusions...

Lemon Drop
Taibbi's thesis is false.

You of course can illustrate why his thesis is in fact false, while your Koolaide fed fantasies are not and you can specifically show us his "junk" sources, Lemon, or this is your usual being wrong narrative?....

Posted by: Acer
Date: March 28, 2019 10:13AM

"The full list of Mueller indictments and plea deals

1) George Papadopoulos, former Trump campaign foreign policy adviser, was arrested in July 2017 and pleaded guilty in October 2017 to making false statements to the FBI. He got a 14-day sentence.

2) Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chair, was indicted on a total of 25 different counts by Mueller’s team, related mainly to his past work for Ukrainian politicians and his finances. He had two trials scheduled, and the first ended in a conviction on eight counts of financial crimes. To avert the second trial, Manafort struck a plea deal with Mueller in September 2018 (though Mueller’s team said in November that he breached that agreement by lying to them). He was sentenced to a combined seven and a half years in prison.

3) Rick Gates, a former Trump campaign aide and Manafort’s longtime junior business partner, was indicted on similar charges to Manafort. But in February 2018 he agreed to a plea deal with Mueller’s team, pleading guilty to just one false statements charge and one conspiracy charge.

4) Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser, pleaded guilty in December 2017 to making false statements to the FBI.

5-20) 13 Russian nationals and three Russian companies were indicted on conspiracy charges, with some also being accused of identity theft. The charges related to a Russian propaganda effort designed to interfere with the 2016 campaign. The companies involved are the Internet Research Agency, often described as a “Russian troll farm,” and two other companies that helped finance it. The Russian nationals indicted include 12 of the agency’s employees and its alleged financier, Yevgeny Prigozhin.

21) Richard Pinedo: This California man pleaded guilty to an identity theft charge in connection with the Russian indictments, and has agreed to cooperate with Mueller. He was sentenced to 6 months in prison and 6 months of home detention in October 2018.

22) Alex van der Zwaan: This London lawyer pleaded guilty to making false statements to the FBI about his contacts with Rick Gates and another unnamed person based in Ukraine. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and has completed his sentence.

23) Konstantin Kilimnik: This longtime business associate of Manafort and Gates, who’s currently based in Russia, was charged alongside Manafort with attempting to obstruct justice by tampering with witnesses in Manafort’s pending case last year.

24-35) 12 Russian GRU officers: These officers of Russia’s military intelligence service were charged with crimes related to the hacking and leaking of leading Democrats’ emails in 2016.

36) Michael Cohen: In August 2018, Trump’s former lawyer pleaded guilty to 8 counts — tax and bank charges, related to his finances and taxi business, and campaign finance violations — related to hush money payments to women who alleged affairs with Donald Trump, as part of a separate investigation in New York (that Mueller had handed off). But in November, he made a plea deal with Mueller too, for lying to Congress about efforts to build a Trump Tower in Moscow.

37) Roger Stone: In January 2019, Mueller indicted longtime Trump adviser Roger Stone on 7 counts. He accused Stone of lying to the House Intelligence Committee about his efforts to get in touch with WikiLeaks during the campaign, and tampering with a witness who could have debunked his story.

Finally, there is one other person Mueller initially investigated, but handed over to others in the Justice Department to charge: Sam Patten. This Republican operative and lobbyist pleaded guilty to not registering as a foreign agent with his work for Ukrainian political bigwigs, and agreed to cooperate with the government."

But nothing happened and it was all junk news.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018