AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Re: Just had my second and probably last Chik-Fil-A sandwich
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 27, 2019 02:17PM
neophyte
Lemon Drop
neophyte
Don't forget their latent anti-semitism: They will not allow a Jew to franchise a Chic-Fil-A.

Hadn't heard that one before. They don't actually have "franchises" as the term is usually understood. And Scott Pruitt's wife couldn't get one either.

You can’t own a Chick-fil-A franchise. It’s not going to happen. That’s because, while the company does open restaurants across the country, and it even calls these locations “franchises,” they really aren’t. Chick-fil-A still owns the restaurant; it just lets franchise operators run the store, like a manager.

That’s one reason why starting a Chick-fil-A is so affordable for a franchise operator: It costs just $10,000, while a McDonald’s will cost at least $1 million. The low price is one reason why Chick-fil-A franchises are so highly valued and so difficult to get -- even Environmental Protection Agency administrator Scott Pruitt couldn’t manage to wrangle one for his wife. In fact, getting accepted to run a Chick-fil-A franchise is less likely than getting accepted to Harvard Business School.

[www.entrepreneur.com]

Chik-fil-A is still privately owned by one family, ... [snip]

I understood this fact when I interviewed with them; i just wanted to simplify my point.

I can not find a single Chik-Fil-A operator who does not profess to be Christian. I suspect that this is intentional.

The majority of this country would profess to be "Christian." But you also prefaced what you said as being anecdotal. I'm not saying they're not proactive at discriminating against Jews. Legally, they cannot do this. If you were hell-bent to pursue it further would it be worth it? I can tell you right now, if I were determined to own a franchise, and I suspected it was because I were Black, it would be on. I understand if you feel like it wasn't worth it though. I wouldn't want to operate under that culture.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 27, 2019 02:52PM
vision63
neophyte
Lemon Drop
neophyte
Don't forget their latent anti-semitism: They will not allow a Jew to franchise a Chic-Fil-A.

Hadn't heard that one before. They don't actually have "franchises" as the term is usually understood. And Scott Pruitt's wife couldn't get one either.

You can’t own a Chick-fil-A franchise. It’s not going to happen. That’s because, while the company does open restaurants across the country, and it even calls these locations “franchises,” they really aren’t. Chick-fil-A still owns the restaurant; it just lets franchise operators run the store, like a manager.

That’s one reason why starting a Chick-fil-A is so affordable for a franchise operator: It costs just $10,000, while a McDonald’s will cost at least $1 million. The low price is one reason why Chick-fil-A franchises are so highly valued and so difficult to get -- even Environmental Protection Agency administrator Scott Pruitt couldn’t manage to wrangle one for his wife. In fact, getting accepted to run a Chick-fil-A franchise is less likely than getting accepted to Harvard Business School.

[www.entrepreneur.com]

I understood this fact when I interviewed with them; i just wanted to simplify my point.

I can not find a single Chik-Fil-A operator who does not profess to be Christian. I suspect that this is intentional.

The majority of this country would profess to be "Christian." But you also prefaced what you said as being anecdotal. I'm not saying they're not proactive at discriminating against Jews. Legally, they cannot do this. If you were hell-bent to pursue it further would it be worth it? I can tell you right now, if I were determined to own a franchise, and I suspected it was because I were Black, it would be on. I understand if you feel like it wasn't worth it though. I wouldn't want to operate under that culture.

I dropped my interest in them long ago. As RJMacs stated above, proving discrimination in a court of law would be nigh impossible and I never even contemplated such action. My locality is growing population-wise, and it is conceivable that their demographic studies would have shown that the area would support two restaurants 2 years after I talked with them, but not before then.

Up until the question of my faith was asked, they seemed to be giving me favorable consideration. After the question, no more interactions until the "too close to another location" reply several days to a week or so later (I don't recall the exact time span).

My experience was just an n=1 if you look at it from a statistical standpoint, and thus it should be viewed as anecdotal. My personal experience says otherwise. Find me some Jewish "managers" of Chic-Fil-A restaurants and I will change my mind.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 27, 2019 02:53PM
....well, Hallmark Channel professes to be 'Christian'/family oriented.......their programming is all about 2nd chances/forgiveness......they dropped Lori Loughlin with just a whiff of scandal......they dropped Mark Steines when he stood up for a female crew member.......

........they don't actually forgive or give second chances to people......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: March 27, 2019 03:02PM
neophyte
vision63
neophyte
Lemon Drop
neophyte

[www.entrepreneur.com]

I dropped my interest in them long ago. As RJMacs stated above, proving discrimination in a court of law would be nigh impossible and I never even contemplated such action. My locality is growing population-wise, and it is conceivable that their demographic studies would have shown that the area would support two restaurants 2 years after I talked with them, but not before then.

Up until the question of my faith was asked, they seemed to be giving me favorable consideration. After the question, no more interactions until the "too close to another location" reply several days to a week or so later (I don't recall the exact time span).

My experience was just an n=1 if you look at it from a statistical standpoint, and thus it should be viewed as anecdotal. My personal experience says otherwise. Find me some Jewish "managers" of Chic-Fil-A restaurants and I will change my mind.

What do you think about coming up with your own restaurant? I love Proposition Chicken [www.propositionchicken.com] for example. They have 2 locations (San Francisco and Oakland). I have to make myself walk on past them. They're soooo good.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 27, 2019 04:54PM
The restaurant business is a difficult one to break into unless you have a hook: name recognition, unique foods with a customer base that already likes those foods, or low cost. In my neck of the woods low cost wins if the others aren't there (or even if they are: Lil Caesars is quite popular even located across the street from Domino's, Papa John's, and Pizza Hut. I'm not talking food quality or taste here, just name recognition which all 4 have, and just low cost gets lots of customers. I was looking into a Lil Caesar's franchise, but the closest location was a 45 minute drive.)

Anyway, I have a medical research/laboratory background, so when I found an Environmental Testing Laboratory for sale, I bought it. It's a niche market but government regulations require testing of public drinking water and waste water, so the client base is almost guaranteed even in a financial recession, and there is little competition. Plus I run toxicity tests that few other labs in my state are certified to run. Plus I like working in a lab. Plus I have a lab assistant and I am glad I am able to contribute to her livelihood. Plus I OWN the lab. So I'm content for now.

My apologies for hijacking this thread.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 27, 2019 05:13PM
neophyte
The restaurant business is a difficult one to break into unless you have a hook: name recognition, unique foods with a customer base that already likes those foods, or low cost. In my neck of the woods low cost wins if the others aren't there (or even if they are: Lil Caesars is quite popular even located across the street from Domino's, Papa John's, and Pizza Hut. I'm not talking food quality or taste here, just name recognition which all 4 have, and just low cost gets lots of customers. I was looking into a Lil Caesar's franchise, but the closest location was a 45 minute drive.)

Anyway, I have a medical research/laboratory background, so when I found an Environmental Testing Laboratory for sale, I bought it. It's a niche market but government regulations require testing of public drinking water and waste water, so the client base is almost guaranteed even in a financial recession, and there is little competition. Plus I run toxicity tests that few other labs in my state are certified to run. Plus I like working in a lab. Plus I have a lab assistant and I am glad I am able to contribute to her livelihood. Plus I OWN the lab. So I'm content for now.

Sounds like interesting, important and rewarding work, Thanks for sharing that.
Date: March 27, 2019 05:19PM
Lemon Drop
neophyte

Sounds like interesting, important and rewarding work, Thanks for sharing that.

That sounds cooler to me. Plus you're keeping folk safe.
Posted by: max
Date: March 27, 2019 07:23PM
neophyte

I have quite a few friends in the restaurant business, some own single locations, some own small to medium chains, some are franchisees with a number of locations.
Kudos for the analytic approach to your decisions, good choice...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 281
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018