advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Over 150 measles cases in Rockland, NY: public officials tell unvaccinated to stay home
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 28, 2019 08:13PM
In a move aimed at getting the public's attention, officials in New York's Rockland County have declared a state of emergency in response to an ongoing measles outbreak. Among the measures: a 30-day ban on any unvaccinated individuals under the age of 18 from being in public places.

Of course, there's no practical way to enforce the measure. But that's not exactly the point, anyway, says Rockland County Executive Ed Day. Officials just want to make sure parents know how serious things are in Rockland. There have been more than 150 confirmed cases of measles in the county since the fall, officials say.

"It's an attention grabber, there's no question about it," Day said at a news conference. The goal isn't to make arrests, but to bring attention to the issue, he said. Of the 153 confirmed cases as of Tuesday, 82 percent had not gotten the Measles Mumps Rubella, or MMR vaccine, according to county statistics. Most of those infected are minors.
[www.kuow.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Over 150 measles cases in Rockland, NY: public officials tell unvaccinated to stay home
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: March 28, 2019 10:55PM
I rather they do that than have more cases of measles. BTW I live next door to Rockland County.
Re: Over 150 measles cases in Rockland, NY: public officials tell unvaccinated to stay home
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 28, 2019 11:17PM
For those of us who wondered where NY's Rockland County is located:

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 29, 2019 05:10AM

Of the 153 confirmed cases as of Tuesday, 82 percent had not gotten the Measles Mumps Rubella, or MMR vaccine

18% of the cases were vaccinated, that seems like a pretty high failure rate.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 29, 2019 05:18AM
Ombligo

Of the 153 confirmed cases as of Tuesday, 82 percent had not gotten the Measles Mumps Rubella, or MMR vaccine

I had the measles twice. The first was full blown, the second was very mild. So even natural immunity isn't perfect. I hope those vaccinated also had mild cases.
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 29, 2019 06:33AM
Ombligo

Immunity isn't forever, for everyone. That's why boosters exit in the first place. If you're curious about your status have titers run. I needed them run last month. My immunization from the mid 90's is still working.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: March 29, 2019 08:11AM
All the anti-vaxxers are getting butthurt about this, but it really is for THEIR OWN PROTECTION! The people who have been vaccinated are most likely going to be fine. The ones who have not are at the most risk.
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 29, 2019 08:16AM
p8712
Ombligo

Immunity isn't forever, for everyone. That's why boosters exit in the first place. If you're curious about your status have titers run. I needed them run last month. My immunization from the mid 90's is still working.

My sister and her daughter both got this year's flu (real influenza, by the test) even though they were vaccinated. Fortunately the cases were relatively short and mild, probably because of the vaccine. As my niece had a baby too young to be vaccinated, everyone got compulsive about sanitation, and the doctor prescribed preventative tamiflu for the baby, who did not get sick. Without the mitigating effects of the vaccine, it would have been much harder to protect the baby.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 29, 2019 08:17AM
....well, we basically all but 'eliminated' this but now it is coming back with a vengeance because of people not vaccinating.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 29, 2019 08:23AM
Maybe I'm grumpy this morning, but I'm going to be crass... let the anti-vaxxers go around and do what they want, and when their kids start dying, maybe it might finally get it through their thick skulls that there is a reason for vaccines.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 29, 2019 08:27AM
I had the measles in my teen years despite having been vaccinated. Yes it was unpleasant, but no more so than a mild case of the 'flu. Now if I HADN'T been vaccinated...

Vaccinations do not guarantee total and permanent immunity. There is still risk of illness, but the illness is almost certainly going to be mild in comparison to not being vaccinated, and with fewer complications.

Trust me - you don't want your loved ones to get measles encephalitis or influenza pneumonia.

To filter my thoughts on the matter: Not to get kids vaccinated is to accidentally neglect them due to falling for misinformed and incorrect anti-vaccination propaganda.

(Not to filter my thoughts: Not to get kids vaccinated is child abuse, and should be punishable as such.)
Date: March 29, 2019 08:42AM
S. Pupp
To filter my thoughts on the matter: Not to get kids vaccinated is to accidentally neglect them due to falling for misinformed and incorrect anti-vaccination propaganda.

(Not to filter my thoughts: Not to get kids vaccinated is child abuse, and should be punishable as such.)

From the people I know who do not vaccinate their kids, their is nothing "accidental" about it. Yes, they have "fallen" for the propaganda, but if you ask them, they have "done the research" and can quote you all the statistics about why vaccines are bad for you. I agree about your child abuse comment but I've found that despite all your best arguments and scientific research, you simply cannot convince them otherwise.
Date: March 29, 2019 08:43AM
Sam3
Maybe I'm grumpy this morning, but I'm going to be crass... let the anti-vaxxers go around and do what they want, and when their kids start dying, maybe it might finally get it through their thick skulls that there is a reason for vaccines.

The problem with this approach is that these people also endanger those who can not get vaccinated for medically valid reasons, as well as babies too young to get vaccinated. There really are a small number of people for whom vaccination is seriously contraindicated and dangerous, and herd immunity is their best protection.
Date: March 29, 2019 08:46AM
DavidS
S. Pupp

From the people I know who do not vaccinate their kids, their is nothing "accidental" about it. Yes, they have "fallen" for the propaganda, but if you ask them, they have "done the research" and can quote you all the statistics about why vaccines are bad for you. I agree about your child abuse comment but I've found that despite all your best arguments and scientific research, you simply cannot convince them otherwise.

There is such a strong emotional content to the defense of the anti-vaxx position that "reasoned argument" just causes them to dig in deeper.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 29, 2019 08:54AM
This story was on NPR the other day. At the end of the segment they played a clip from someone outraged over the County’s stance, stating the awfulness of being told “to ... vaccinate.”

(Shudder)

The guy couldn’t even feign “religious reasons” nor any reason, only offering that the notion of vaccination was inherently (if vaguely) egregious. Pretty sure he paused before saying “vaccinate” because somehow he realized it’s not the worst thing in the world.

Gosh. Next thing you know, people will be told not to actively harm others. Can’t have that!
Date: March 29, 2019 08:58AM
Janit
Sam3

The problem with this approach is that these people also endanger those who can not get vaccinated for medically valid reasons, as well as babies too young to get vaccinated. There really are a small number of people for whom vaccination is seriously contraindicated and dangerous, and herd immunity is their best protection.

My 17yo, disabled, medically fragile daughter has never had the MMR vaccine. She had anaphylaxis to her chicken pox vaccine and had to leave the pediatrician's office in an ambulance down to our children's hospital. Her existing tracheostomy is the only thing that saved her life by protecting her airway. After full allergy testing, we were told that the inactive ingredients in the MMR could also due her harm. We depend on the "herd immunity" of those around her to keep her safe. Needless to say, I take this very seriously and those who chose not to vaccinate their kids due to erroneous beliefs really piss me off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2019 08:59AM by DavidS.
Posted by: p8712
Date: March 29, 2019 09:16AM
Sam3

Yeah, and when the reservoir of measles these idiots help breed mutates into something those of use that are vaccinated can contract, then what? Diseases don't remain static (just look at the flu), and vaccines only wipe out a disease when everyone takes them.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 29, 2019 09:48AM
DavidS
Janit
Sam3

My 17yo, disabled, medically fragile daughter has never had the MMR vaccine. She had anaphylaxis to her chicken pox vaccine and had to leave the pediatrician's office in an ambulance down to our children's hospital. Her existing tracheostomy is the only thing that saved her life by protecting her airway. After full allergy testing, we were told that the inactive ingredients in the MMR could also due her harm. We depend on the "herd immunity" of those around her to keep her safe. Needless to say, I take this very seriously and those who chose not to vaccinate their kids due to erroneous beliefs really piss me off.

David thank you for sharing this personal information; I hope your daughter is well, and your entire family. This is such an important viewpoint, I really wish more people understood the bigger picture, as you do.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 29, 2019 09:56AM
Apparently, there has been a group of anti-vaxxers targeting the ultra Orthodox Jewish communities in Rockland, Lakewood, Brooklyn and in Israel. Here's an article combating them from March 11, 2018. (This paper, Five Towns Jewish Times has been giving space and editorial credibility to the anti-vaxxers. That is because the publisher is a putz)

Anti-Vaxx Coalition Targeting Lakewood, N.J.
[www.5tjt.com]
(The writer predicted the measles outbreak among the ignorant last year)
“Measles Outbreak in Lakewood, N.J.”

There is a group of people attempting to form a coalition that could quite likely cause these headlines to appear in the very near future. According to the Center for Disease Control each year 146,000 people worldwide die of measles – most of them children who live where people do not vaccinate.

This week, an email went out asking people in Lakewood to join a “coalition” that would attempt to force Lakewood schools to enroll children whose parents refuse to vaccinate their children. The email further states “this coalition depends on a collective voice and will not be launched until we reach a minimum of 250 families. If you live in Lakewood and have made a decision not to vaccinate your children, we encourage you to please take a few moments to sign up . . .”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2019 10:27AM by Steve G..
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 29, 2019 10:15AM
It's not enough to say "I have concerns for myself," but now they feel they have a message they must share with the world.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: March 29, 2019 12:11PM
Ombligo

Suppose the vaccinated population getting exposed to measles is 100,000 people (not unlikely over an extended period -- could even be several times higher). Then the existence of 28 cases (18 percent of 153 sick people) is a pretty low fraction -- around 0.0003

I don't know how many people are unvaccinated in the same population, but it would almost certainly be at least 10 times lower (based on 90 percent coverage, a low number for school age population). That's 125 cases out of 10,000 potentially exposed. The anti-vaccine group is getting the measles at a rate that is at least 40 times higher.

Measles is less fatal than infections such as ebola, but it is incredibly contagious because somebody can breath a bit of virus into the air and it will waft around for an hour or more. In my generation, we probably all got exposed, with a few people having few or no symptoms and the rest getting spots and fever. The disease was fatal for about one in a thousand, with other permanent effects on additional victims. It turns out that the measles also inhibits overall immunity for one to three years, resulting in additional mortality from other causes.

The anti-vax movement is covered in great depth by David Gorski MD at respectfulinsolence.com
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 29, 2019 12:59PM
murican
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free…

…to be an idiot.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 29, 2019 05:05PM
Sam3

Don’t bet on it:

[forums.macresource.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 338
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018