advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
White House whistleblower says 25 security clearance denials were reversed during Trump administration
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 01, 2019 10:28AM
Stupidity? Treason? Incompetence? Take your pick.

White House whistleblower says 25 security clearance denials were reversed during Trump administration
[www.washingtonpost.com]

A White House whistleblower told lawmakers that more than two dozen denials for security clearances have been overturned during the Trump administration, calling Congress her “last hope” for addressing what she considers improper conduct that has left the nation’s secrets exposed.

Tricia Newbold, a longtime White House security adviser, told the House Oversight and Reform Committee that she and her colleagues issued “dozens” of denials for security clearance applications that were later approved despite their concerns about blackmail, foreign influence or other red flags, according to panel documents released Monday.

Newbold, an 18-year veteran of the security clearance process who has served under both Republican and Democratic presidents, said she warned her superiors that clearances “were not always adjudicated in the best interest of national security” — and was retaliated against for doing so.

“I would not be doing a service to myself, my country, or my children if I sat back knowing that the issues that we have could impact national security,” Newbold told the committee, according to a panel document summarizing her allegations.

Newbold added: “I feel that right now this is my last hope to really bring the integrity back into our office.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: White House whistleblower says 25 security clearance denials were reversed during Trump administration
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 01, 2019 10:49AM
While I decry the gross incompetence and corruption endemic in the Trump administration, I have to ask.. how many clearance reversals did other administrations issue ? And if so, what was the level of information shared with those people ? Just because someone has Yankee White doesn't mean they actually had access to sources and methods.
Re: White House whistleblower says 25 security clearance denials were reversed during Trump administration
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 01, 2019 10:53AM
For it to be bad enough that an 18 year veteran to decide to become a whistleblower, I would guess reversals in prior administrations were in the single digits. 45's administration is over 2 dozen, and it has only been 2 years.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 01, 2019 11:42AM
cbelt3
Just because someone has Yankee White doesn't mean they actually had access to sources and methods.

True, under "normal" operations a person's clearance does not confer unrestricted access to ANYTHING classified at that person's approved level; need-to-know determines access. A Top Secret designation does NOT mean an individual has automatic, unfettered access to EVERYTHING classified Top Secret. They have access to only those items that required that level of clearance in the first place.

But if someone above them (POTUS) authorizes them to have access to specific documents with their now POTUS-waivered clearance, they indeed have access to anything POTUS might decide they can.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 01, 2019 03:23PM
DeusX - true, as POTUS (or SecDef, SecState, etc..) can decide that something is no longer classified and hand it to whomever the heck they want. Which is why the Saudis get all kinds of stuff from their buddy, Jared. Wonder how many petrodollars went into his slums.... how much blood props up 666 ?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 01, 2019 04:07PM
It has also been reported that after speaking up about her concerns, Tricia Newbold's supervisor, Director of Personnel Security Carl Kline, placed files she needs to do her work out of reach. Newbold has a rare form of dwarfism that does not impair her ability to work, but which exacerbates a strong allergy to entitled assholes.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 362
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018