advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Inevitable? Maybe. Mueller investigators say Barr report doesn’t reflect the seriousness of findings regarding Trump
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 03, 2019 10:09PM
CNN

New York Times: Some Mueller investigators say their report is worse for Trump than Barr says
“Some of special counsel Robert Mueller's investigators have told associates that Attorney General William Barr did not properly convey how damaging their findings were for President Donald Trump...”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Inevitable? Maybe. Mueller investigators say Barr report doesn’t reflect the seriousness of findings regarding Trump
Posted by: steve...
Date: April 03, 2019 10:35PM
Uh-oh.

This, the House Dems' request for his taxes and questions about lax security clearances are going to have him unraveling even faster.

I predict lots of tweets in the morning.

Northern California Coast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 10:48PM by steve....
Re: Inevitable? Maybe. Mueller investigators say Barr report doesn’t reflect the seriousness of findings regarding Trump
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 03, 2019 10:39PM
This is almost certainly true. I mean, Trump campaign officials/family (which are the largely the same) eagerly accepted and held a meeting with Russian nationals with links to the Kremlin offering “dirt on Clinton”, famously responding “if it’s what you say, we love it”. (And then hid it, denied it, with the president himself mischaracterizing it before the truth finally came out.) If that’s not collusion, (and questionably obstruction) it was not for lack of trying on the part of the Trumpies.

But so far, all we’ve seen a few-hundred-word-long spin by Trump’s attorney general, who diluted the previous down to ‘no evidence of collusion/cooperation/whatever your favorite weasel word is. He promised to release a redacted version by mid April. That’s fine for the public, but at least a subset of house Dems need to see the full unredacted report privately. And I suspect that’s going to be the real fight that needs to be won.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 04, 2019 12:16AM
Mueller wouldn't write a 4-800 page report to say "nothing happened."
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 04, 2019 05:40AM
No leaks during the investigation. That leaks are happening now is not insignificant. Neal Katyal (who wrote the special counsel rules) told Rachel Maddow that the rules were written such that post investigation members of the team could talk, especially to congress and not be held back by the DOJ.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 04, 2019 08:05AM
This is exactly why it was crucial to Trump's strategy to have Barr in charge of the report's release. He has over a month to get the public story exactly where he wants it before the actual report is even available. By then it doesn't matter what's in the report - the public story is established. No collusion, no obstruction, done.

Trump wins this round, and the Democrats would do well to move forward. They can make the report available, but trying to re-litigate this in the public domain is unlikely to win.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 04, 2019 09:01AM
This is all as expected. We talked about these Special Counsel rules a few months ago, with a Twitter link to Neal Katyal’s multi-tweet explanation of how the Rules work.

This is how Mueller can go around the AG when the AG’s summary does not represent the findings. Barr can drag his feet, release a heavily redacted version to whomever, and if it still doesn’t describe the tenor of the findings, Mueller’s team can still make noise. With Congress growing ever more agitated.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 04, 2019 09:13AM
pdq
This is almost certainly true. I mean, Trump campaign officials/family (which are the largely the same) eagerly accepted and held a meeting with Russian nationals with links to the Kremlin offering “dirt on Clinton”, famously responding “if it’s what you say, we love it”. (And then hid it, denied it, with the president himself mischaracterizing it before the truth finally came out.) If that’s not collusion, (and questionably obstruction) it was not for lack of trying on the part of the Trumpies.

I’m going to want to know why and how Team Trump aren’t guilty, but I suspect the legal requirement demands a quid pro quo, because “”Russia just doesn’t like Democrats” as a motive isn’t provable.

Stepping back, I don’t think it should matter at ALL why any foreign nation wants to skew our elections. In my opinion, when any candidate’s team invites it, they’ve colluded, regardless of whether or not they directly got any help.
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 04, 2019 10:42AM
deckeda
pdq

I’m going to want to know why and how Team Trump aren’t guilty, but I suspect the legal requirement demands a quid pro quo, because “”Russia just doesn’t like Democrats” as a motive isn’t provable.

Stepping back, I don’t think it should matter at ALL why any foreign nation wants to skew our elections. In my opinion, when any candidate’s team invites it, they’ve colluded, regardless of whether or not they directly got any help.

I suspect the report will say or imply Trump and his kids were and are useful idiots. They have no idea what they are doing or that they are being influenced. Nor will they listen to our intelligence and law enforcement agencies. Too incompetent to recognize their own incompetence. Trump is also a Putin fanboy and loves authoritarians.
Posted by: bfd
Date: April 04, 2019 02:21PM
Pam
deckeda
pdq

I suspect the report will say or imply Trump and his kids were and are useful idiots. They have no idea what they are doing or that they are being influenced. Nor will they listen to our intelligence and law enforcement agencies. Too incompetent to recognize their own incompetence. Trump is also a Putin fanboy and loves authoritarians.

Indeed. It's just too much to believe that Dumbf or his cabal of cretins are politically aware enough to even know they've been used … as long as the $$$ keep rolling in, they will accept a few losses along the way - cost of doing business
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 304
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018